Demo rights

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

happy
Active
Active

Demo rights

Post by happy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:37 pm

If I have a professional demo made of a song I've written and submit it for a "broadcast ready" listing and it is forwarded and taken by the listed company and played in a film or a tv show, will I be the sole beneficiary of monies? Whew! I'm outta breath after that long statement/question.
Di

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Demo rights

Post by davewalton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:08 am

If your song goes directly to the production company doing the film or TV show (not through a publisher, music library, agent, etc) and you are a member of a performing rights organization like ASCAP or BMI as both a songwriter and publisher, then it's all yours.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:50 pm

My take on that issue is that there can sometimes be vocalist hurdles to deal with... I dunno... Am I wrong?

happy
Active
Active

Post by happy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:16 pm

Yeah, I was wondering if the singer who does the demo or the guy who plays guitar in the demo has a leg to stand on should he/she want some more money if the song makes it to tv or a film as is.
Di

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:25 am

Hey Happy,You may want to have everyone sign a musician release form. This way, if the version that these people are playing/singing on generates income, they will have no claim.I heard a story about the composer who did the theme for survivor. The composer and show got sued for crazy amounts of money by the woman who sang that little bit in the opening. Supossedly, it was a work for hire situation, but she never signed any sort of release for the use of her vocals. Consequently, she sued and won.good luckZ

happy
Active
Active

Post by happy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:25 pm

Thanks Zink. I will have the demo people sign some kind of work for hire form should the need arise.
Di

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:47 am

For any "demo" you might wanna submit for tv/film placements, it's ESSENTIAL that you have a signed release from all the participants.Most contracts with music libraries and film/tv music publishers will have a clause requiring that anyway.I tell all the singers and musicians I hire about the requirement for a release when I call them to set up the session. This way any potential confusion is avoided.matto

happy
Active
Active

Post by happy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:10 pm

Much thanks for all the advice.
Di