Demo studios

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mayfly

Demo studios

Post by mayfly » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:14 am

I'm in England and as a non performing songwriter, I use demo studios a lot.generally, the studios here in England are pretty average.Can anyone recommend any good demo studios in the USA.Styles - pop. pop/R&B. Pop/rock. Thanks.

augustheat
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Demo studios

Post by augustheat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:39 pm

Mayfly:Wow, that's a rather hard question to answer...A lot depends on where you're going when you get here! For instance, I'm in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area. I can name at least 10 fantastic places to produce a demo, all within about a 30 minute drive from me!I guess my point is, you shouldn't have any problem hooking up with someone or getting some better direction, once you provide a little more information on your situation. For instance, where do you want to record (what area)? What kind of music do you do? What's your budget? What's the purpose of the demo? Will you need session musicians, etc?Provide some additional information and someone will surely give your some helpful direction. I wish you well...Blessings,
Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:37 pm

When I was a member of the National Academy of Songwriters, I did 100's of demos for artists. Alas, I've since closed my studio to outside composers.I'm sure if you check out a songwriting organization around your area, you'll find some great demo studios that they'll recommend.Ern

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:37 am

Hi Mayfly:I was going to ask the same question. They probably get this question quite a lot here, I would think. I live in Ottawa, Canada and an internet search found one studio here that looked okay. However, they are bit too much money for my bank account at the moment. I found a place called 'McClure and Trowbridge' which you can look for on Google. I have never used their services because it costs $500 for a full band demo but it looks to me like they would be more than worth the money. When I am rich and successful and can afford $500. full band demos, I will probably try their services. I think they also don't take every song. If your song sucks, I think you will be out of luck with them. However, if they reject your song, it might be an excellent free critique in a way. If they find that your song isn't good enough, then your song isn't good enough. Just generally googling around looking for demo services is probably a good idea. A lot of these places provide demos of their talents so you can get a general idea of what you will be getting from them. Good luck with the hunt.For future reference, has anyone here used McClure and Trowbridge and were you happy with the end result? Did you think it was worth the money? Or were they so good that I should just keep them a secret and not be posting here about them? Cause this post could just suddenly disappear. lol

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:08 am

Quote:Hi Mayfly:I was going to ask the same question. They probably get this question quite a lot here, I would think. I live in Ottawa, Canada and an internet search found one studio here that looked okay. However, they are bit too much money for my bank account at the moment. I found a place called 'McClure and Trowbridge' which you can look for on Google. I have never used their services because it costs $500 for a full band demo but it looks to me like they would be more than worth the money. When I am rich and successful and can afford $500. full band demos, I will probably try their services. I think they also don't take every song. If your song sucks, I think you will be out of luck with them. However, if they reject your song, it might be an excellent free critique in a way. If they find that your song isn't good enough, then your song isn't good enough. Just generally googling around looking for demo services is probably a good idea. A lot of these places provide demos of their talents so you can get a general idea of what you will be getting from them. Good luck with the hunt.For future reference, has anyone here used McClure and Trowbridge and were you happy with the end result? Did you think it was worth the money? Or were they so good that I should just keep them a secret and not be posting here about them? Cause this post could just suddenly disappear. lol I wouldn't recommend M & T. Something seems flaky. They once offered me single-song publishing contracts on 2 songs, the contracts having no reversion clause at all. When I inquired about it, I was told that no one in Nashville does reversion clauses anymore. Well that is total BS and any company that talks like that loses my trust right away. They may be (not sure) one of those companies that uses demo submissions as a vehicle to market their demo recording services. If you drop me a PM, I can give you the name of the person I've been working with. He has a great reputation and, in addition to song demos, has produced full CDs for a number of people I know. He is one of a number of options.Regardless, only use a demo studio for which you can get good references from other songwriters like us AND you hear real samples, not the "bait". Casey

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:46 am

Quote:Quote:Hi Mayfly:I was going to ask the same question. They probably get this question quite a lot here, I would think. I live in Ottawa, Canada and an internet search found one studio here that looked okay. However, they are bit too much money for my bank account at the moment. I found a place called 'McClure and Trowbridge' which you can look for on Google. I have never used their services because it costs $500 for a full band demo but it looks to me like they would be more than worth the money. When I am rich and successful and can afford $500. full band demos, I will probably try their services. I think they also don't take every song. If your song sucks, I think you will be out of luck with them. However, if they reject your song, it might be an excellent free critique in a way. If they find that your song isn't good enough, then your song isn't good enough. Just generally googling around looking for demo services is probably a good idea. A lot of these places provide demos of their talents so you can get a general idea of what you will be getting from them. Good luck with the hunt.For future reference, has anyone here used McClure and Trowbridge and were you happy with the end result? Did you think it was worth the money? Or were they so good that I should just keep them a secret and not be posting here about them? Cause this post could just suddenly disappear. lol I wouldn't recommend M & T. Something seems flaky. They once offered me single-song publishing contracts on 2 songs, the contracts having no reversion clause at all. When I inquired about it, I was told that no one in Nashville does reversion clauses anymore. Well that is total BS and any company that talks like that loses my trust right away. They may be (not sure) one of those companies that uses demo submissions as a vehicle to market their demo recording services. If you drop me a PM, I can give you the name of the person I've been working with. He has a great reputation and, in addition to song demos, has produced full CDs for a number of people I know. He is one of a number of options.Regardless, only use a demo studio for which you can get good references from other songwriters like us AND you hear real samples, not the "bait". CaseyThanks for the heads up about M&T, Casey. I don't like what they said to you. I have already been chewed on by one sharkish company over the issue of reversion clauses. I didn't know about them and found out recently through a songwriting class that I have been taking that I should try to have one in every contract. Unfortunately, my ignorance cost me one song...but I can always write more songs. I appreciate that you have taken the time to post this. A lot of the time it's what you don't know that CAN hurt you. It's only fair if they can't make money out of your song that they not be allowed to tie up it up forever. I'll PM you. Thanks.

lbeaird
Active
Active

Post by lbeaird » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:52 am

Dear Mayfly,My name is Larry Beaird. I'm with Beaird Music Group, Inc. in Nashville, TN. We specialize in recording music for songwriters. If you have a chance, please visit our website at http://www.beairdmusicgroup.com.We have a brand new Samples page featuring several examples of recordings we've done for various writers. You can listen in at: http://beairdmusicgroup.com/sample.html.I hope we can be of service. Good luck with your music.Larry

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:17 pm

Try Dave scarboro at Eastcraft studios NC. Very well priced and about a 2 weeks turnaround.http://www.eastcraftdemos.com/check his styles first from the samples posted. He is doing one for me that is totally different from the styles you hear onhis page but Im willing to give him a shot.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:11 am

I just now read that Larry Beaird has posted here. This is the demo studio I've been using. I live in the Southeast not far from Nashville. I've been very pleased with the demos Beaird Music Group has produced for me. His demos are top notch, and he'll arrange everything for you if you're 'musician challenged' like me. I don't play any instrument that well....I'm the 'sing into the tape recorder' type songwriter, and Beaird Music group has delivered three excellent demos to me. I wanted that edgy country rocking sound, and I got just what I wanted. Plus, their customer service is courteous and professional. I'd recommend them.....I will give them repeat business come springtime.....gonna have two more songs done.

lbeaird
Active
Active

Post by lbeaird » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:02 am

Dear jchitty,Thanks a bunch for your kind words. I'm always glad to hear from happy songwriters. I'll be looking forward to hearing your new songs this Spring. Best wishes with your music!Larryhttp://www.beairdmusicgroup.com