Desert Wind

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

longrider
Active
Active

Desert Wind

Post by longrider » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Howdy all Was wandering if someone would give this song a listen and tell me what you think? I recorded this song in 3 days to get it in for a listing deadline and today was it. It calls for it not to be over 2 min long and to be moody or sad. I know it is to late to do anything about it now but might be able to use it somewhere in the future for other listings, maybe even try a different style of lead guitar.Anyway the song is Desert Wind you can hear it at http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artisti ... stID=17608

dgolding
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Desert Wind

Post by dgolding » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi Tim,It certainly has a moody and sad feel to it. I think you're right about trying a different style of lead. I like that it's pretty minimal and not 'in-your-face', but I feel that it is maybe a tad too understated.Personally, I'd like to hear maybe a fretless bass in there too, just to give some bottom end and intersting accents.The only other thing that struck me was that the strat sounded slightly out of tune on the top E and the B, just a bit flat, but maybe that's just my ears. Good stuff though, and best of luck with the submission.
It's a fine line between a thick soup and stew.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Hello Tim,Nice work. I personally like the style of lead you chose, the volume pedal or volume knob fade style is a favorite of mine and works well in this piece, in my opinion.A few things, musically, arrangement-wise and technically that could, in my opinion, improve your piece are:1. Make sure your tuning is perfect. Your rhythm guitar is out of tune and it is noticeable as soon as it enters. As good as your piece is, this issue may be a deal killer for a music supervisor or other potential customer for your music.2. Leave out the drums at the beginning, start with only a sparse rhythm guitar part, maybe only arpeggiating the first half of every bar or even just whole note chords. Bring the drums in when you take the melody up an octave (around 1:00). At that point the rhythm guitar can play arpeggios for full bars. Since this is a drama piece, this may help build a bit more drama into the structure.3. Consider adding another color such as organ, electric piano or some kind of string-like device. Used tastefully, these sounds can enhance your arrangement and showcase your lead playing even more.As always, my opinion only. Nice to hear your music. Keep up the good work.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

longrider
Active
Active

Post by longrider » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:23 am

Howdy Friends Thanks so much for the advice. You all were so right about the tuning, I had gotten in such a rush to create this song that I completely forgot to tune my guitars. I will redo this song and will try what you said Mazz, about leaving out the drums at the beginning of the song. That sounds like a vary good ideal. I think that rushing to create this song was not such a good ideal, but at least I have a something to build on.Thanks Again for the help everyone. It is always a good thing when the right people point out the ups and downs.Tim