Did I Give This TAXI Member the WRONG Advice?

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TAXILIZ
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Did I Give This TAXI Member the WRONG Advice?

Post by TAXILIZ » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Did I Give Out Some REALLY BAD Advice?

See What It Was on This Week’s TAXI TV!

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IdNFWt_0w

7pm Eastern (EDT) / 6pm Central (CDT) / 4pm Pacific (PDT) 12am London (BST) / 9am Sydney (AEST)

Dear Songwriters, Artists, and Composers,

Six or seven years ago, a TAXI member named Henry Winckel asked if he could visit me at TAXI HQ. Of course, I said, "Yes."

Henry was smart, gentleman-like, but a little frustrated with TAXI, if memory serves. I instantly respected his candor and intellect and did my best to give him some advice for getting better results from TAXI.

I believe that day was a turning point in Henry's career.

One piece of advice I gave him was to make sure he came to our music convention, the TAXI Road Rally. He clearly enjoys the seclusion of his home near Sequoia National Park more than he imagined enjoying the company of 2,000 plus musicians at a bustling conference.

I begged him to come, and to his credit, he did! He loved the Road Rally!!

I'm certain that leaving his comfort zone and braving uncharted territory was another turning point in Henry's music career.

Was This the Really Bad Advice I Gave Him?

I'm sure I must have told Henry to "stick with what he did best" if he wanted to become successful using TAXI. He took heed, and even parroted that advice to his fellow members when he appeared on TAXI TV a few years later.

Do You Find Henry's Email Shocking?

I did! The subject line was: "I Was Wrong." I don't see that very often. Actually, it might have been a first! It might also be the last ;-)

Read the email, and you'll see why Henry might have proved me wrong...

"July 14th, 2022
Hi Michael,

Thought you might be interested in a pre-TAXI/post-TAXI comparison.

Before joining TAXI in November, 2013:

TV channels featuring my music: None.

TV shows featuring my music: None.

Countries appearing on my royalty checks: None.

Royalty checks: None.

Contracts signed with production music libraries: None.

Genres composed: Jazz Fusion, Classical, Solo Piano, New Age, Blues, and Boogie-Woogie.

After joining TAXI in November, 2013:

TV channels/networks featuring my music: CBS, MTV, CNBC, CNN, BET, Animal Planet, OWN, and Vice.

TV shows featuring my music: CBS Sports promos, The Young and The Restless, American Greed, Catfish, Siesta Key, The Challenge, Ex on the Beach, Tyler Perry’s Sistas, Amanda to the Rescue, Families of the Mafia, Honoring Our Kings, United Shades of America, Vice News Tonight, and RIP Files.

Countries appearing on my royalty checks: the United States, Canada, Denmark, France, the UK, Czech Republic, Germany, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Finland, Latvia, Romania, and Hungary.

Royalty checks: Every quarter since the first quarter of 2018 (5 years after joining TAXI).

Contracts signed with music libraries: 12.

Genres composed: Classical, Solo Piano, New Age, Lounge Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Classic Jazz, CSI Tension, Horror, Sci-Fi, Technology, Epic Action Orchestral Hybrid, Comedy-Country, Dramedy, EDM Chill, Christmas Public Domain, Blues, and Children’s music.

Genres that received placements on TV shows: Lounge Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Classic Jazz, CSI-Tension, Horror, Technology, Epic Action Orchestral Hybrid, Comedy-Country, Dramedy, EDM Chill, and Christmas Public Domain.

So, what was I wrong about?

In either my first or second appearance on TAXI TV, I suggested the best way to ensure success was to find a niche/genre and focus on that niche.

Clearly, if I’d followed my own advice, I wouldn’t have received the number of placements I did.

Conclusion:

Don’t follow my advice.

So how much of all the above is directly attributable to TAXI?

With the exception of one music library, all of it - either through TAXI forwards, collabs with fellow TAXI members, or going to the Rally.

And even though that one music library was not the direct result of TAXI, I still credit TAXI, indirectly. Because, without the returns and the [feedback from TAXI’s A&R team] that forced me to up my game, my music wouldn’t have been good enough to get signed by that music library.

So, thanks!

Best,
Henry"

Let's Find Out if the Advice was Career-Launching or Career-Killing!

Please join Henry and me as we get to the bottom of this. I guarantee you'll get some great success tips from somebody I respect a great deal. See you on Monday at 4 pm, Pacific time.

Click the link below to watch LIVE Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IdNFWt_0w

To Join the Live Chat and Ask Questions During the Broadcast…
You’ll need to be signed up to YouTube (FREE) and be logged in to be able to join in on the chat during the show. Go to youtube.com and click the "Sign In" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and fill out the short form to join. If you have a Gmail account, you’ll be able to link your YouTube account with it!

7pm Eastern (EDT) / 6pm Central (CDT) / 4pm Pacific (PDT) 12am London (BST) / 9am Sydney (AEST)

Join us on the show,

Michael and the TAXI TV Team