Digi 002 output distortion - please help!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Digi 002 output distortion - please help!

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:24 am

Quote:7.4 hasn't been out that long, could it be a bug with that version? Any chance of reverting to 7.3 for a moment to try it out? I haven't installed 7.4 yet so I don't have first hand experience with it. I'm thinking that since iTunes works fine this is probably not a hardware issue but most likely a software issue, maybe 7.4 and core audio are not playing nicely with each other as Aub mentioned.Hey Antonio, thanks for your input.This problem actually started while I was running 7.3. I wiped my previous OS 10.4.8 and installed the 10.4.9 combo update, and bought the upgrade to PTLE 7.4 this weekend hoping that might solve the issue (AND allow me to play with elastic time). Well, elastic time is pretty cool, but my session still sounds like poo. Keep posting those thoughts!-AR

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:17 am

Quote:I slave the 002 via lightpipe when recording Hmmmm --- I've had problems using Lightpipe with an Adat. Same thing --- crackles and distortion. When I first bought the Digi002, I thought I'd bounce tracks from the Adat to Pro Tools via Lightpipe as an experiment. Didn't work, so I gave up. I just didn't NEED to do that, so I shrugged it off and moved on. What a conundrum! --- Keep those ideas coming, guys!Ern

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 am

Yes some versions of iTunes cause all kinds of goofiness... I'm still on 7.0 "something". The whole bootcamp thing brings up things I could only guess at The next question... does it do this at all sample rates? Have you tried a session at 44.1k, 48k and 96k.Also, when did PT go from +6 to +12? Was that 7.3 or 7.1. Are you using +12 sessions? Pure conjecture, but maybe there is a firmware update for the 002??I love and hate mysteries Aub

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:58 am

Hmm... maybe I'll ditch iTunes and see what happens... Good thinking Aub. I use the 800R to record so I can skip the 002 pres and converters - my input to PT is via the 002's ADAT inputs. Up until now that's worked stellar. I actually tried recording something that way, and it comes in fine, but the playback distortion through the 002 is still there. I know the recording via the 800R/lightpipe is fine because the Mbox plays that recorded track back with no problem.Haven't tried any sessions at the different sample rates but I'll check that out asap too. Looks like the +12 dB fader gain happened in LEv6.4 (didn't realize it was so long ago either...) (http://archive.digidesign.com/support/001/) [addendum: the previously available +6 dB fader gain option for new sessions was removed in V7.0, in case that's what you meant, Aub...]I looked into firmware updates anyways but apparently when you launch PT it checks out your hardware and busts you some firmware love if you need it (including the fader firmware I assume). Haven't gotten any love in a long time - guess that means I don't need any... ha ha ha. There's a song title for you. Thanks as always. I'll check back with updates, but if any other ideas spring to mind in the meantime, let me know.Cheers,-AR

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:52 am

Montster - thanks for your input … looks like the other avenues are mostly exhausted so it’s probably going to be Digi tech support for me!To those who have been graciously following this thread: After considerable hours troubleshooting yesterday, the problem remains… (Aaargh!)Here are the facts:1. Digi 002 distorted outputs. Sounds like main outs are overloaded or speakers are blown. Most noticeable with “full” mixes where bass is present. Problem is fuzz and distortion, not digital clicks and pops.2. Includes Digi 002 main monitor outputs, headphone outputs (using headphones), and the main analog outputs 1-2.3. Does not affect Digi 002 analog outs 3 through 8 - those are crisp and clear as normal. Tested all outputs with two brands of monitors, and headphones.4. Problem exists for all sessions5. Problem exists only when Pro Tools is running. When audio is played through iTunes, Digi 002 main & headphone outputs are fine6. Problem DOES NOT exist when running Pro Tools with Mbox Mini via USB (w/ 002 switched off). Problem initially observed with the following configuration:1. Macbook Pro 17”, 2 GB RAM 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD2. Mac OS 10.4.83. Pro Tools LE 7.3.1cs54. External Glyph hard drive on firewire 8005. Mackie Onyx 800R interface used as clock master, connected via lightpipe to Digi002 ADAT input6. External display on DVI7. iLok on USB8. Logitech wireless mouse with USB transmitterSame problem observed even after the following troubleshooting steps were performed and/or under the following conditions:1. Delete Digidesign Databases folders at root of all drives2. Delete Digi User Prefs (DAE Prefs, DigiSetup.OSX, PT prefs, com.digidesign…. etc.) 3. Reinstall updated Mac OS (10.4.9) from combo update4. Install Pro Tools LE 7.45. Open new sessions in PT LE 7.4 at 48, 88.2, 96kHz, and import a WAV file from a commercial CD as a test 6. Record something through the 800R (master) to the 002 via lightpipe. Playback through 002 and then test w/ Mbox Mini – 002 distorted, Mbox not distorted.7. Run Macbook with only iLok and Digi 002 connected. Run 002 with internal clock (800R switched off and disconnected from 002)8. Uninstall iTunes9. Replace firewire cable10. Replace power cable11. Power 002 from different circuitThanks again to everyone who followed this. Hopefully now that I have this all laid out Digi tech support might be able to help more quickly. If you can think of any way that would make the description of the issue or the troubleshooting more clear, let me know.Have a great Thanksgiving everyone! (where applicable )-AR

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:16 am

Update (again):Well, the independent shop says it's going to cost either $360 or $402 depending on what the problem is. Not much cheaper than Digi's replacement! *bang head* If anyone has any idea where I can find schematics and spare parts for these units, please let me know! I got my popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, and elbow macaroni (and Farmer's white glue of course) ready to go! -ARP.S. Tried it with another computer yesterday as suggested by Justin in this thread ... same deal. *bangity bangity bang*

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:52 am

Quote:this might be worth a look...http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi002_mod.htmlThanks Steve,This mod looks pretty cool.. I got in touch with the guys there and they told me that the mod may or may not fix the issue that I'm having. If not I'd still have to send the 002 away to get repaired. Total amount could be either $500 (mod) or $900 (mod AND repair). Neither of those amounts look terribly appealing right now! I wonder if my wife would accept that as her Christmas present?