Distribution Watchouts

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ppetruccelli

Distribution Watchouts

Post by ppetruccelli » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:21 pm

I remember hearing that there are risks to signing up with outfits like Tunecore and CDBaby in order to get your songs on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. But you have to use somebody like this to get onto the streaming platforms one way or another, don't you? Just trying to make sure I understand where the risk is, and how (if at all) it messes up your sync opportunities. Also, if anyone has used RouteNote for distribution, that'd be helpful to know, too. Thanks!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Distribution Watchouts

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:17 pm

You need to read the agreements with those entities to see what rights you retain. Music libraries and publishers can't use music that is signed to a CDBaby distribution agreement, for example - if you check the CDBaby licencing agreement, you might see that you are signing your publishing to them. You cannot then sign it to someone else. You've made your deal for that piece of music and should not submit it to non-exclusive or exclusive TAXI listings. You may, however, be ok submitting direct to supervisor, but I'm not an entertainment lawyer so you'd need to check that out more thoroughly.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Post by YoungManTerrell » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:00 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:17 pm
You need to read the agreements with those entities to see what rights you retain. Music libraries and publishers can't use music that is signed to a CDBaby distribution agreement, for example - if you check the CDBaby licencing agreement, you might see that you are signing your publishing to them. You cannot then sign it to someone else. You've made your deal for that piece of music and should not submit it to non-exclusive or exclusive TAXI listings. You may, however, be ok submitting direct to supervisor, but I'm not an entertainment lawyer so you'd need to check that out more thoroughly.
I sure love having knowledgeable individuals around.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:59 am

When you sign up for these digital distributors there is a tick box to the effect of " Would you like us to monetize your music "

If you've ticked it, then basically you've entered into a non-exclusive publishing agreement with them, so any music under those terms can't be used for Exclusive opportunities.

Many people tick the box and then forget they've ticked it later when they try to sign the music exclusively and there is a prior registration for the work.

So be careful - Personally I keep all my sync music for sync only , I don't see any benefit in it being on Spotify earning pennies.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:48 pm

**** I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice! ****

This was covered on TAXI TV (Mar 17, 2019):
Are You Signed to a Publisher Without Knowing It?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mHbUiSBrI&t=3s

This is a CD Baby Review, updated May 13, 2021:
https://www.soundguys.com/cd-baby-review-40437/
Quoting from this review:

"With CD Baby Pro Publishing you maintain all the rights to your music, but it administers the publishing tasks and collects a fee for doing so. Publishing services are provided on an annual basis. You are bound to CD Baby Pro Publishing as your publisher for one year after the release date of your song or album. CD Baby Pro Publishing collects 85% of your publishing revenue and retains a 15% cut for its services. It automatically renews quarterly, but after a year, you can cancel your CD Baby Pro service for a different publisher.

"Regardless of your tier, recordings are distributed through stores and various streaming platforms, generating performance royalties. CD Baby Pro Publishing collects mechanical royalties from these stores and streaming services along with sync licensing fees, which come from YouTube videos or TV broadcasts that feature your music. If you are not registered with SoundExchange, CD Baby Pro Publishing also collects part of unclaimed digital performance royalties for your masters."

(Check out the full article for more explanation of performance royalties vs. mechanical royalties, etc.)

This support article on cdbaby.com ...
https://support.cdbaby.com/hc/en-us/art ... I-do-that-
... starts out saying:
"You can opt-out of the Sync Licensing, YouTube, or Facebook & Instagram Licensing program at any time through the sync dashboard or cancellation options, or cancel the program entirely."
This seems to contradict the "one year" stipulation mentioned in the soundguys.com review. So, not really sure what the deal is on that.

If you want to look into self-publishing (e.g. for pieces that you haven't signed a deal on yet):
"Self-Publishing Music: The Pros, The Cons and How To Get Started"
https://www.creativeandproductive.com/s ... -and-cons/

When we log into our CD Baby account we see the Account Dashboard, where we can click "Sync , YouTube, Facebook and Instagram Licensing", which takes us to a list of our albums. Clicking on one of the albums, we get to a page where we can opt in or opt out of three types of licensing: sync, Youtube and Facebook/Instagram. We can also click on "Tracklist and eligibility," to see which songs (i.e. cover songs) cannot get the YouTube licensing. Below we have examples of an album where we didn't opt in, and one where we did. We have never opted out yet, but it looks like we could just click the opt out button at the bottom of the screen.

HTH

===
Michael

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:21 pm

As others said, just make sure you don't give any publishing or publishing admin to the company. If it's a requirement and not an option, don't use them. I found Distrokid to be a much easier way to distribute for streaming and they take no publishing. If your only goal is streaming distribution (Spotify, etc.) I highly recommend them.

Good luck!
:D Casey

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:58 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:21 pm
As others said, just make sure you don't give any publishing or publishing admin to the company. If it's a requirement and not an option, don't use them. I found Distrokid to be a much easier way to distribute for streaming and they take no publishing. If your only goal is streaming distribution (Spotify, etc.) I highly recommend them.

Good luck!
:D Casey
+1 for DistroKid
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello