Distributors - What Music To Stream & When

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Bushido

Distributors - What Music To Stream & When

Post by Bushido » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi Guys & Gals,

I am new to the forum and have really appreciated browsing and reading through the wealth of knowledge here.

I tried searching on this subject quite a bit and have found some helpful info, but still haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

I was hoping to get your perspective and opinions on something that might seem really obvious but is escaping me.

If applying to TAXI listings, some request to not submit music that has been distributed w/ say CDBaby or DistroKid.

I have been hesitating to sign up with a distributor for several reasons but one of them is worrying about missing out on some of TAXI's listings that have this request.

I know there are tons of listings and opportunities without this requirement, but I'm interested in how you all see or deal with this. I'd hate to create any unnecessary conflict with a music library.

The other thing is, just your overall thoughts on the importance of distributing your music, and when you feel the right time to pull the trigger is.

Thanks for listening and any help and advice in advance.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Distributors - What Music To Stream & When

Post by jdstamper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 pm

If I understand your question ...

Taxi listings from libraries are usually either Exclusive or Non-Exclusive.

For Non-Exclusive listings it probably won't matter if you have your music distributed elsewhere, likely with different titles.

For Exclusive listings the library would typically require that you do not have your music distributed elsewhere.

I submit mostly instrumental music, and these are mostly Exclusive listings. I believe that Exclusive agreements are much easier for both me and the library to administer.

If I ever have music distributed through entities like CD-Baby, I think it would be easier to have that be a separate block of music versus my library agreements.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:52 am

It depends a lot on what you are looking to do. If you distribute to streaming platforms, obviously you can't submit to those exclusive listings that states you can't. If you submit to non-exclusive listings, you can also distribute the music yourself.

In the latter case, you can basically advertise the track at the library and direct potential users/ customers to them. In the exclusive case, they want to do that themselves only.

But Taxi listings is many different things, not just one thing, so it depends on what is beneficial for you to do within your work scenario. There are listings for basic production music, there are listings for background music, there are listings for labels, listings for artists, listings for film, listings for TV ect. These are all very different.

There is no way all of these can be relevant for you, so you need to be clear about what you are trying to do, and what you want from a deal. Not all deals are worth making, and not all makings are worth dealings. :lol:
Ceo of my own life

Bushido

Post by Bushido » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:07 am

Hi kolstad and stamper,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing how you might approach this.

@ jdstamper
jdstamper wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 pm
I submit mostly instrumental music, and these are mostly Exclusive listings. I believe that Exclusive agreements are much easier for both me and the library to administer.

If I ever have music distributed through entities like CD-Baby, I think it would be easier to have that be a separate block of music versus my library agreements.
That's really helpful and right along the lines of what I've been mulling over. How I could or should approach this. Thank you.

I've also noticed that some listings that are exclusive, do not have or always mention the request to not submit if you are using a distributor. I think all listings that say, please do not submit content that is with a distributor, are definitely exclusive...but not all exclusive listings say do not submit content that you have distributed.

So I guess that has been throwing me off a bit as well in my approach. My understanding about these distributors, is that you still own your own music, so it makes sense if an exclusive listing doesn't always mention not to submit if you are with a distributor. You know what I mean?

@ kolstad

I think the main things I'm trying to get at here, is the best way to manage and approach using our work/content. These worries creep in:

We don't want to miss out on any listings that request to not submit to if your music is with a distributor.
We have a need to distribute.
Thinking about when the right time is to distribute and what to choose.
Worrying about creating any unnecessary conflict with music libraries.
Why some music libraries might not mind if it's been distributed (even if they said exclusive in the listing).

Maybe I'm jumbling things up, and worrying too much.

I think in the case of having content that has been forwarded, but you haven't heard anything back on for a year or two (even though I have heard instances of it taking longer), would be... instead of sitting on your content, to go ahead and distribute it (but not if the listing specifically said otherwise), and if a music library does get back to you a year or more later, then simply be up front about it, and if it's an issue, you can quickly create something similar that they will like and can use.
Kolstad wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:52 am
Not all deals are worth making, and not all makings are worth dealings.
:lol:

Thanks again for listening and for your feedback.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 am

Good discussion.

I think if you're submitting to any exclusive listing, regardless of how the listing is written, it's best to stay away from any other distributor, in order to minimize the chances of conflict with the library, like you said. There may be some exclusive libraries who don't mind the music being distributed elsewhere, but I suspect that's the exception and not typical. (It would be a good question for a Taxi Q&A Webcast if you want to bring it up there)

Also, if I have music forwarded to a library by Taxi, I don't sit on it for long if at all, because most forwards don't result in offers, at least in my case, LOL. So I just keep pitching it and I will usually accept the first offer that comes along. Of course if I'm submitting directly to a library in response to a brief from them, that's entirely different. In that case I won't submit the music anywhere else until I have a go or no go from the library.

Jim
Jim Stamper

Bushido

Post by Bushido » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 am

Hey Jim,

Thanks again for your feedback, really helpful!

What you say makes sense, and seems like a fair assumption. You're right though, I think it would be good just to confirm. So much thought and care is put into the listings, so when you don't see the please do not submit to this request if your music is with a distributor, even if it is an exclusive listing, I'm assuming it isn't a mistake...but maybe I'm wrong. Based on what I'm reading, the distributors don't own your music, so maybe it's between some music libraries not liking your music being out there (maybe because the music has potentially already been heard or maybe the publishing services) and some who don't care as long as it's good and they still can have it exclusively? I don't know, but that's my guess.

On forwards,

I just want to be clear on what you said, I'm assuming you mean to go ahead and distribute forwarded music that was only forwarded by Taxi on a non-exclusive listing right? Or does it not matter to you either way because you feel you don't get offers from forwarded listings, only connections to future offers?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Music I write for Sync stays in Sync - I don't distribute it anywhere else

Keeps it simple.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Bushido wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 am
Hey Jim,

Thanks again for your feedback, really helpful!

What you say makes sense, and seems like a fair assumption. You're right though, I think it would be good just to confirm. So much thought and care is put into the listings, so when you don't see the please do not submit to this request if your music is with a distributor, even if it is an exclusive listing, I'm assuming it isn't a mistake...but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think every listing is addressing the issue of distributors, but that's a good question for Taxi. Mentioning distributors in a listing is pretty new. Taxi has been trying to make it clear in their webcasts, etc .. that if you sign a track with a distributor it's unlikely you can sign it to an exclusive library

Based on what I'm reading, the distributors don't own your music, so maybe it's between some music libraries not liking your music being out there (maybe because the music has potentially already been heard or maybe the publishing services) and some who don't care as long as it's good and they still can have it exclusively? I don't know, but that's my guess. Most of my music is exclusive, but it's mostly instrumental tracks. I'm pretty sure that my exclusive libraries wouldn't want anyone else distributing the music. Maybe they are more flexible with vocal tracks, I don't know.

On forwards,

I just want to be clear on what you said, I'm assuming you mean to go ahead and distribute forwarded music that was only forwarded by Taxi on a non-exclusive listing right? Or does it not matter to you either way because you feel you don't get offers from forwarded listings, only connections to future offers? Most forwards don't get deals, that's true for me and I think for the majority of members. It's unlikely you'll hear anything from the library unless they offer you a deal. In that case you may hear something immediately or months or even years later. So I just continue to submit / pitch that track until I get an offer ... or I just give up on it. Yeah, that happens :roll:

Good luck! Jim
Jim Stamper

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 pm

I think that at least in some cases it's not about whether people can play your piece, say on CD Baby, but whether you have given CD Baby the right to commercially exploit the piece in some way, i.e. whether it is "encumbered" by other publishing, licensing, administration, and/or exploitation deals. I think it is possible to have music available through CD Baby, for example, without it being so encumbered. Don't take my word as gospel, I'm not a lawyer, but that's my provisional conclusion.

Some discussion of this here:
post593274.html

===
Michael

Bushido

Post by Bushido » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 am

jdstamper wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Most forwards don't get deals, that's true for me and I think for the majority of members. It's unlikely you'll hear anything from the library unless they offer you a deal. In that case you may hear something immediately or months or even years later. So I just continue to submit / pitch that track until I get an offer ... or I just give up on it. Yeah, that happens
Thanks for clarifying and for the good luck Jim! I appreciate it. It sounds like what you are saying is, even if your track is well received (forwarded multiple times in multiple listings), it usually doesn't result in a deal, so just distribute your music?!!
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:00 pm
Music I write for Sync stays in Sync - I don't distribute it anywhere else

Keeps it simple.
Yeah, I definitely like the simplicity of what you're saying. You just have to wonder if you find yourself sitting on forwarded tracks, if it's better to have them working for you in distribution while you wait? As long as there isn't a conflict or you can handle it professionally.
irthlingz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 pm
I think that at least in some cases it's not about whether people can play your piece, say on CD Baby, but whether you have given CD Baby the right to commercially exploit the piece in some way, i.e. whether it is "encumbered" by other publishing, licensing, administration, and/or exploitation deals. I think it is possible to have music available through CD Baby, for example, without it being so encumbered. Don't take my word as gospel, I'm not a lawyer, but that's my provisional conclusion.
Hi Michael, thanks for the link to the other post BTW, that was very helpful. I think you're right and the more I read and check out the distributors, there are additional publishing administration services you can put them in control of to collect royalties. I was going to post a chart I found, but it looks like I can't post the image here at the moment. What it outlines is that there are the publishing royalties which are collected by the PRO, and then there are the "Recording Royalties" which get further broken down into performance, reproduction, and synchronization royalties collected by the distributor.

So it may seem more obvious now, but If you put the distributor in charge of any publishing/collection, there's your conflict with your music library. I'd imagine it's pretty simple to avoid like Cosmic Dolphin is saying. Just keep your music for sync in sync. If you do choose to distribute and have put them in control of collection, and you are contacted by a music library, be up front, and ready to give them something similar, better, and quickly. But maybe that isn't the best impression to give, I don't know.

OR, maybe you can at least have your music "out there" with a distributor, but not put them in control of any collection/publishing.

Feels like I am forming a more concrete approach now. Thank you all for the feedback and help.