Distrokid & BMI

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Distrokid & BMI

Post by MBantle » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:26 am

Dear All,
I have got a comprehensive question: It seems Distrokid only asks for the name of the composer/writer but does not ask for an IPI or ISWC. The only ID they seem to issue is the ISRC. BMI on the other hand does not seem to ask for the ISRC and I was therefore wondering how that works. There seems to be a missing link. If Spotify does not get any information from Distrokid as to which PRO I am with or what my IPI number is how can they report the streams to my PRO correctly?
Please let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Matt

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Distrokid & BMI

Post by RPaul » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:57 pm

MBantle wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:26 am
I have got a comprehensive question: It seems Distrokid only asks for the name of the composer/writer but does not ask for an IPI or ISWC. The only ID they seem to issue is the ISRC. BMI on the other hand does not seem to ask for the ISRC and I was therefore wondering how that works. There seems to be a missing link. If Spotify does not get any information from Distrokid as to which PRO I am with or what my IPI number is how can they report the streams to my PRO correctly?
I'm not BMI, and I honestly don't recall if ASCAP asks for the ISRC number. However, my longtime understanding of this question is that the PROs go by the combination of the name of the artist who made the recording and the song title.

FWIW, CD Baby also doesn't ask for IPI or ISWC information, either. However, they also do ask for the PRO information on the writer, so that could conceivably be an indirect way the ISRC gets connected since they'd have the full writer name, publishing company (if applicable), and the ISRC. I know I've also gotten some compulsory mechanical licensing requests from some of the services through Music Reports, so I know some of the streaming companies are making connections.

Rick