Do Music Libraries prefer unreleased music

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markparr

Do Music Libraries prefer unreleased music

Post by markparr » Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 am

Question - Is it worth distributing unsigned tracks. Do Music Libraries prefer to sign material that has not been released before.

I would like to release a number of unsigned tracks for Distribution but I am slightly concerned that Music Libraries may prefer unreleased tracks before they sign them.
Are there any seasoned pros here that can give me some advice on this.

On one hand, it would be nice to have my music out in the big wide world but I know that there are a lot of briefs that I have seen, requesting unreleased music only. I am a little hesitant in releasing my unsigned tracks as I don't want to be excluded by Music Libraries on that basis alone.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you :D

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Do Music Libraries prefer unreleased music

Post by eeoo » Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 am

In my experience some do and some don't. I know of one library that is hesitant to sign something even it's uploaded to soundcloud. I'd say if licensing is your priority it's best not to pre-release them.

Burnzy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Do Music Libraries prefer unreleased music

Post by Burnzy » Sun May 09, 2021 9:56 am

markparr wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 am
Question - Is it worth distributing unsigned tracks. Do Music Libraries prefer to sign material that has not been released before.

I would like to release a number of unsigned tracks for Distribution but I am slightly concerned that Music Libraries may prefer unreleased tracks before they sign them.
Are there any seasoned pros here that can give me some advice on this.

On one hand, it would be nice to have my music out in the big wide world but I know that there are a lot of briefs that I have seen, requesting unreleased music only. I am a little hesitant in releasing my unsigned tracks as I don't want to be excluded by Music Libraries on that basis alone.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you :D
I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking. I have been holding back my unsigned tracks that are submitted for film. Though, I did re-title one track that that was forwarded and did not get used, and put it on BandCamp only. I figure it's easy to take off of BandCamp if this company decides to use it down the road. It's tough to separate how you want to present yourself as an artist as opposed to pitching for film placement.