Do non-fowards make a you a better writer?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Do non-fowards make a you a better writer?

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Quote: I would agree with you in most cases if two or three people see something wrong with your song, than you have a problem. But that isn't always the case with other songs. I can think of instances (the song "I Swear) for example where a song was passed on by everyone....lots of A&R reps found the same thing wrong with it, and yet, it wasn't changed, and it became a hit song. Hi J... Don't forget basic probabilities. Yes, there are the occasional big hits that many A&R folks overlooked. But you shouldn't use the one in thousands "miracle" as a model. You need to go with the odds. If multiple, respectable, professionals give you the same feedback and you decide not to address the issues because of those rare occasions like you mentioned, you may just be deceiving yourself. There is nothing wrong with deciding to stick to your guns and stay with what you have as long as you truly understand the big potential downside. I've certainly done it, for better or for worse. But, my goal is not to get a song cut by a Nashville artist.BTW, Congrats on that recent review! Sounds like you have a song with very good potential there!Warm regards, Casey

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Quote: Quote: I would agree with you in most cases if two or three people see something wrong with your song, than you have a problem. But that isn't always the case with other songs. I can think of instances (the song "I Swear) for example where a song was passed on by everyone....lots of A&R reps found the same thing wrong with it, and yet, it wasn't changed, and it became a hit song. Hi J... Don't forget basic probabilities. Yes, there are the occasional big hits that many A&R folks overlooked. But you shouldn't use the one in thousands "miracle" as a model. You need to go with the odds. If multiple, respectable, professionals give you the same feedback and you decide not to address the issues because of those rare occasions like you mentioned, you may just be deceiving yourself. There is nothing wrong with deciding to stick to your guns and stay with what you have as long as you truly understand the big potential downside. I've certainly done it, for better or for worse. But, my goal is not to get a song cut by a Nashville artist.BTW, Congrats on that recent review! Sounds like you have a song with very good potential there!Warm regards, CaseyOkay, points taken. Thanks, Casey. I am excited about the review.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 am

Jeffe, I like your comment about Edison and the lightbulb...I think that sums it all up. It's better to look at 'failures' as different ways that 'don't work.' I don't want to sound like someone in 'Guidepost' magazine, but I think that if you look at things in a positive way rather than a negative way, it'll get you much further.Arkjack, yeah that first foward is a real confidence booster...when you get those, you know you're doing something right.Upeters, yeah, if you let rejection stop you, then you probably aren't a person who's meant to write songs. If it motivates you, then you probably have songwriting skills. I had instances where I thought my song was good, and then I'd look at it again and realize it wasn't so good. Then I've written a song straight through in fifteen minutes....it was a like some inspiration sent from up about...it just flowed....I don't get many songs like that...they are very few, but they are probably my best ones.

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jbeck » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:27 pm

I kind of compare returns to dating ...When it comes to dating, if you know what you're looking for and you go after that, then there's going to be poor pitiful souls you just have to turn down..not that they are terrible people or that they do not appeal to you in some way..you just know what you want.. and Timing is everything..When it comes to music and forwards vs returns..I would say if you look at a critique as a key to make your music that much better, you just put yourself ahead of the game knowing that maybe at some point you're going to find the right match with a producer/music library.. An Outside critique can be a powerful tool because it is coming from an outsider, someone you're not acquainted with..They are looking at it from a musical perspective...so we shouldn't take it personal..

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:40 am

Non-forwards make me a better killer ...

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Hey guys, good string, I have to say yes ..... and no .OK, mostly yes. Although sometimes I disagree with some of the comments, it helps when I'm preparing to record any of my songs, I try to incorporate things I know they look for (prominant hook, appearing early in the song, etc) because, let's face it, we have to deal with them. Where I say no is I am still writing and producing my music for me, I haven't completed my transfer from writing music I want to perform to a more professional approach, writing for specific listings/genres so sometimes the parts or songs the screeners have the most problem with from a commercial POV are my favorites. Conversely songs which I wrote as a simple little XYZ song are the ones which have been received the best by screeners. But since I have been a Taxi member my songs have gotten stronger so mostly yes, they make you better... Geo