Do the screeners hate receiving 2 versions of the same track?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Do the screeners hate receiving 2 versions of the same track?

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:13 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:46 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:14 am
It would annoy me if I was a screener.

There's often little discernable difference when folks post the same track twice.
I think it's only worth doing if there is a REAL difference between the versions, not just some faders 1-2 db, an EQ tweak, etc. Maybe different instrumentation such as leaving out some, for example, and giving it a different feel. BUT if you have to rely much on this, you most likely are missing the point of the listing, the ref tracks, etc.

It's also a good idea to gain confidence in your "best shot". With Taxi, you can pay another $5 and submit that over version but in the "real world", you generally only get 15 seconds of your best to impress or not.

:) Casey
Great points all! It would be more of an "alt version" that maybe has some different instrumentation... I hear ya on knowing the brief, and only submitting your best shot Casey, but most of these listings are like trying to read minds.. i often think "this SHOULD be it, but maybe I need to lose a guitar solo"... Or "the intro MIGHT be a tad long on this version" - That type of thing. For example, I did submit two versions of the same track a couple of months ago...One had alot of busy slide throughout the "verses" (Instrumental Track), and the other did not... I was afraid that I would get a return because of the busy slide parts! Thankfully, they both got forwarded!!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 am

BradleyHagen wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:13 am
... but most of these listings are like trying to read minds..
I disagree there. While there are occasional nebulous areas, once you study listing wording and ref tracks carefully, you have a pretty good idea what they want. A lot of folks scan the words too quickly and don't take the time to really digest everything being said. It's easy to fall back on the "listings aren't clear" thing, but most of the time, it's not all that true.

So many times people post here a track they are targeting for a listing and we respond with a sentence or phrase from the listing that explains why it's not a fit. That being said, it's best to post and find out from your peers here what they think.

Best,
Casey

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:24 am

Thanks Casey- I will be putting a copy of a rough mix of "Everywhere" up soon!!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:36 pm

Also, keep in mind that not all screeners are created equal.

I've had a song that I'd sent in for 2 different, yet similar listings. The thing one screener didn't like so it didn't get a forward, the other liked and forwarded.

You might even try sending in a song, like you mentioned, with a different mix, but send it a week or so later. Sometimes you'll get a different screener, with a different take you your song.
Either way, you'll get some decent feedback.

Just my 2 cents...

chartzog
Active
Active

Post by chartzog » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering about this too. I am working on a track for a Taxi listing that is an orchestral instrumental cue in the style of Hans Zimmer. I have the full orchestra version, but when checking my stems I realized that the “strings only” sounds very nice and can stand on its own. Should I submit both to the listing?

Thanks!

Chris

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:58 pm

chartzog wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm
Hi guys,

I was wondering about this too. I am working on a track for a Taxi listing that is an orchestral instrumental cue in the style of Hans Zimmer. I have the full orchestra version, but when checking my stems I realized that the “strings only” sounds very nice and can stand on its own. Should I submit both to the listing?

Thanks!

Chris
I would just go with whichever version is closest to what the references have. If they've got closer to a full orchestra sound, then go with that and save yourself $5 to receive a 'this was nice but the references also have a full brass, wind and percussion section' etc feedback note...

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RickElliott » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 am

I recently did it and got the same screener. He or she seemed to appreciate the fact that I anticipated that my synth was too loud during the breakdown on the original.