Do you register and distribute your music?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JimKen

Do you register and distribute your music?

Post by JimKen » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:10 am

Hi,

I have learned from Taxi support that we should not register our songs with our PRO before submitting to a listing. Does anyone know about this?

Also, do you distribute your music before submitting? Or do you keep all your songs offline and just submit them to listings?

Thanks✌🏻
Marcus

IanJames

Re: Do you register and distribute your music?

Post by IanJames » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:34 pm

I register my songs with my PRO before i do anything else.

I'm always afraid I'll forget to otherwise, plus the more times i log onto the PRO website the better chances of me remembering my password... ;)

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:27 pm

DON'T register your music if you plan on signing the tracks to music libraries. 99 times out of 100, the library will handle it for you. If you do it yourself, you create extra hassles for the music library, and it could perhaps turn into a deal-killer.

~~Matt

JimKen

Post by JimKen » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:30 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:27 pm
DON'T register your music if you plan on signing the tracks to music libraries. 99 times out of 100, the library will handle it for you. If you do it yourself, you create extra hassles for the music library, and it could perhaps turn into a deal-killer.

~~Matt
Thank you Matthew!

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:11 pm

What Matt said is absolutely true... do NOT register your music if your goal is to get it into libraries. I'm in quite a few libraries and only ONE of them asks for composers to register them before accepting them. So, don't make this Critical mistake. :)

Also, many libraries will not accept music that is published, it creates more hassles for them. Best to shop your stuff as much as you can, and then maybe publish if you don't get any interest. Also, posting your music on Soundcloud is not really "publishing" per se, most of the time people are talking about using something like Distrokid to upload your music to Spotify, Apple Music, etc.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

JimKen

Post by JimKen » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:44 am

So, when I get it right, I should not register any songs with my PRO even when submitting directly to a music supervisor. Is that correct?

It's also not recommended to distribute any songs on Apple Music, SoundCloud, or other streaming services.

Fazit: I should keep everything offline, correct?

Respectfully,
Marcus

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Hey Marcus,

Submitting to publisher/library, do not register with PRO.

Pitching to music supervisor, DO register with PRO. You’re not pitching music you have with an exclusive library, right? If its in an non-exclusive library, you “should” be able to pitch it on your own and have a unique PRO registration of your own so it does not duplicate the non-exclusive’s PRO registration and assign royalties to that non-ex library incorrectly.

Why do you want to release it on your own via streaming/soundcloud? If it is allowed by the publisher’s agreement, you can do so AFTER it is signed to their catalogue. You wont necessarily know whether the agreement allows it beforehand so it’s an unnecessary risk to encumber a track with that.

Hope that helps.

JimKen

Post by JimKen » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 am

ochaim wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 pm
Hey Marcus,

Submitting to publisher/library, do not register with PRO.

Pitching to music supervisor, DO register with PRO. You’re not pitching music you have with an exclusive library, right? If its in an non-exclusive library, you “should” be able to pitch it on your own and have a unique PRO registration of your own so it does not duplicate the non-exclusive’s PRO registration and assign royalties to that non-ex library incorrectly.

Why do you want to release it on your own via streaming/soundcloud? If it is allowed by the publisher’s agreement, you can do so AFTER it is signed to their catalogue. You wont necessarily know whether the agreement allows it beforehand so it’s an unnecessary risk to encumber a track with that.

Hope that helps.
Hi Ochaim,

Thanks for your help!

No, I am not pitching any works associated with an exclusive library.

You are right about releasing music. I will wait and see what the rules are when it comes to a singing.

Thank you✌🏻

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:15 am

What others ^^^^ said.

Don't register songs if you plan to pitch to music libraries unless they ask you do (Only one we know of does).

Don't release songs to streaming, etc. if you plan on pitching to exclusive music libraries since some allow that and some don't. You have know way of knowing until you sign a deal.

Regarding pitching directly to music sups... Even then I wouldn't register unless you know there is a serious, imminent chance of placement. There is plenty of time if that happens. You might not get the placement and decide to go the library route later.

Best,
:D Casey

JimKen

Post by JimKen » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:19 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:15 am
What others ^^^^ said.

Don't register songs if you plan to pitch to music libraries unless they ask you do (Only one we know of does).

Don't release songs to streaming, etc. if you plan on pitching to exclusive music libraries since some allow that and some don't. You have know way of knowing until you sign a deal.

Regarding pitching directly to music sups... Even then I wouldn't register unless you know there is a serious, imminent chance of placement. There is plenty of time if that happens. You might not get the placement and decide to go the library route later.

Best,
:D Casey
Thank you Casey!