Does Anyone Else Think That...

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Does Anyone Else Think That...

Post by Merryband1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:06 am

...the third reference track in TAXI # S211208SD, SAD STRINGS & PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES, would get returned for being too repetitive? I listened to it all the way through and it nearly drove me insane. :? I know, it changes up instrumentation and occasionally tempo, but the melody line---!

"Experience" by Einaudi

I may write something for this listing, but I won't be using example 3 as my guideline!
Merry :shock:

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Does Anyone Else Think That...

Post by AlanHall » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:26 am

I think ML hammered that home during one of the Rally talks. Something about the first ref being the most relevant, but that last must still have something to contribute - maybe not much, but some element of the style, or composition, or sound choices. Something to triangulate the "ideal" submission from.
I almost remember him confessing that when only a couple of really good ref tracks are found, a third is dragged in just to complete the set! The takeaway for me was that if I don't understand why the first ref is valuable, then I've got a lot of homework to do :lol: and if I'm attracted to the third ref over the first two, I'm probably attracted to the wrong things for the listing.
Good luck, and have fun, Merry!

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:43 am

Sorta along the lines as "...the beatings will continue until morale improves."
:? :shock: :o 8-)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:59 am

But... even though the short-term melodies are repetitive, the whole track grows in intensity over about 2.5 mins then does it again, and the additional complimentary layers that give it momentum are very well done. The short-term repetition probably makes it easier to focus on accompanying visuals rather than the music, and maybe that would be an acceptable way to satisfy this listing. I've not read it or heard the other two ref tracks, but I wouldn't necessarily totally ignore this ref, even if the others might be more relevant. JMHO though.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Good points, all! Thanks! You have me smiling now! :)

I'm concentrating first on doing the DARK CHRISTMAS INSTRUMENTALS. Been working on that for a few days now and I'm about to A/B listen to my track with the dark Jingle Bells in the listing. :) If I have time after doing a couple of those, I may consider doing the piano/strings.

Cheers,
Merry

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:59 pm

After re-listening to the ref tracks, it sounded to me that each had a niche vibe that allowed it to stand out apart from the others. The third track really sounded like something Philip Glass would do. Repetitive? You bet! For me it was in a good way; I can appreciate that it didn't strike you the same, personal experience?

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:39 am

Merryband1 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:06 am
...the third reference track in TAXI # S211208SD, SAD STRINGS & PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES, would get returned for being too repetitive? I listened to it all the way through and it nearly drove me insane. :? I know, it changes up instrumentation and occasionally tempo, but the melody line---!

"Experience" by Einaudi

I may write something for this listing, but I won't be using example 3 as my guideline!
Merry :shock:
I know one library in particular which keeps mentioning to stay on the very simple side and not change the basic motif, which makes it quite repetitive.On the other hand, the Taxi screeners keep criticizing the exact same thing as too repetitive. I find this the most confusing part of submitting with Taxi. I think it's very important to go with the very simple structure as mentioned by the mentioned library if it's about a CUE and go for more distinct part for INSTRUMENTALS. Btw, I hope some of your tracks were forwarded from this listing!
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 pm

I think there must be a delicate balance in there somewhere! Something I need to learn how to hit! :lol:
Thanks for the good wishes! I haven't written anything for this yet... I've been concentrating on the Dark Dystopian Christmas Cues. In fact, I'm about to go mix one now! :)
Cheers,
Merry

JannieM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JannieM » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:14 pm

Only listened to reference track once, and although it is 'very' repetitive, I noticed the following:
changes in music intensity in several places - and then big drops
change up around 1.35
a swish of various instruments throughout the piece - especially after the first 2 min.
These may be some elements you already noticed. I didn't listen to any of the other reference tracks for that listing. And, basically it didn't sound that sad to me.
Hope that helps.
Jan
Use your voice for kindness, your ears for compassion, your hands for charity, your mind for truth, and your heart for love. ~ ~ ~ ~ Author Unknown

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:13 pm

Two of the references in 3/4 time, third is 4/4 time. So 3/4 time would likley be what they are after, right?