Does TAXI have a responsibility to stand up for us

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Does TAXI have a responsibility to stand up for us

Post by coxnvox » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:13 am

This has been on my mind for a couple weeks so I thought I'd just spit it out here and maybe feel better just for having written it...There was a Dispatch listing a couple weeks ago that really bothered me. The listing was for a TV show, I think, and they already had a song temped. It was a little bit of an obscure song, too. But they wanted a very close feel and tempo to the original, even going so far as to saying "acoustic intro, drums in at 30 seconds" etc. It occurred to me that the chances of someone having something lying around that matched what they were asking for would be almost nil, and I sure didn't even the it's basically a style I can do. So I mapped out in my mind: 1) Compose the piece - 2 hours2) Call and schedule a drummer and a guitar player - 1/2 hour3) Track drums, guitar - 3 hours4) Add bass, keys, extra perc, etc. on my own - 3 hours5) Mix - 1 hour6) Master - 1/2 hourTotal hours - 102 session players at $25/hr for 3 hours total - $75Studio time in my home studio at $25/hr for 8 hours - $200So I've now invested a full day and I would say minimally $275 to submit to this listing...the payoff? The chance to get $100-$150 IF they would happen to choose it! And I've got a piece of music that is so specific to this producer's needs that it's unlikely I'd be able to get it placed again...My question really is, would it be inappropriate for TAXI to tell a music producer: "Hey, you are really undervaluing the time, equipment, talent, money and effort that is required to get the result you want. It's not fair to ask our artists to have to PAY for a CHANCE to get their music used by you." Obviously, they would be a little more diplomatic about it than me, but that's the gist of it.I guess I just shudder to think that some artists would be so desperate for a placement that they would be willing to sell us all out by working for less than slave wages.Ok, I DO feel better!Thanks,kerry
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com