Does this seem like a good strategy?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Does this seem like a good strategy?

Post by harperpeterson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Hey, everyone!

I’m fairly new to Taxi and I’ve been slowly finding my groove with productivity and a consistent writing schedule.

I’ve only had two tracks forwarded so far, but my strategy has been this: After finding out my track has been forwarded I split my time between writing to new listings and writing MORE tracks to the listing I got a forward for. That way, if and when I get contacted by a library, I’ll have a bunch more tracks in that style if they request them.

Does anyone else do something similar? I’d love to hear about how people who aren’t yet signed with libraries manage their writing time.

Thanks!
Harper

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Does this seem like a good strategy?

Post by jaywilliams » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:25 pm

hey Harper that sure makes sense to me - in my case I'm building a stockpile of drone cues, but I pretty much just mix those in when I'm not writing to a listing or working on a collaborative track. I have maybe half a ton of them by now, actually just finishing up another one right now.

I figure getting really good (great?) at a commercially viable niche has to be a good use of time.

And for sure, if and when I crack the code on another type of listing, I'll write a ton more of those as well.

Have fun!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 pm

You might be waiting a while for a library to contact you, but it's still a good strategy.
You will find that similar listings come up quite often, so now you will have a bunch of tracks ready to submit next time!

You will also then have a nice collection of those tracks, which you know are in commercially relevant genres, ready to submit to other opportunities - for example, to people you meet at the rally!!

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:11 pm

That's a great strategy, Harper. Every library that has contacted me through taxi listings has asked if I had more in the same style.

Also, the more you branch out, the more you'll find what really comes easiest for ya. Find something you really enjoy and get some momentum behind it. You may eventually hit a wall with it, and that's a good indicator to hit the brakes on that particular genre/type of cue. It will get easier and easier the more you do it.

You're doing great so far.. keep up the awesome work! :)

Andrew

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:09 am

kyliecouper wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 pm
You might be waiting a while for a library to contact you, but it's still a good strategy.
You will find that similar listings come up quite often, so now you will have a bunch of tracks ready to submit next time!

You will also then have a nice collection of those tracks, which you know are in commercially relevant genres, ready to submit to other opportunities - for example, to people you meet at the rally!!
Great points, Kylie!

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:11 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:11 pm
That's a great strategy, Harper. Every library that has contacted me through taxi listings has asked if I had more in the same style.

Also, the more you branch out, the more you'll find what really comes easiest for ya. Find something you really enjoy and get some momentum behind it. You may eventually hit a wall with it, and that's a good indicator to hit the brakes on that particular genre/type of cue. It will get easier and easier the more you do it.

You're doing great so far.. keep up the awesome work! :)

Andrew
It's good to know I'm somewhat on the right track! I'm trying to streamline my process and make the most out of my studio time, while also giving myself time to explore some new genres.

Thanks, Andrew!