Does This Sound Broadcast Quality?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Does This Sound Broadcast Quality?

Post by nknjmes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:43 am

I re-mastered an instrumental I did a while back using an older recording software, and I'm wondering if the sound quality is good enough for film/tv or muzak stuff? Thanks for any input!http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Does This Sound Broadcast Quality?

Post by davewalton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:00 am

Quote:I re-mastered an instrumental I did a while back using an older recording software, and I'm wondering if the sound quality is good enough for film/tv or muzak stuff? Thanks for any input!http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=trueYou shouldn't have any problem with this when pitched for the right listing/opportunity. Very nice track. Listening-wise, I really enjoy this kind of Jesse Cook style anyway. Kind of uplifting and relaxing all at the same time.

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks Dave!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:40 pm

One thing I would do differently is not wait a minute to bring in the drums. At that point any music editor has decided it is a guitar percussion only song and the drums will throw them.I would instead suggest more, but also more subtle development arrangement wise...the song gets a tad boring at over 3 minutes.I think cutting some lowend out of the rhythm guitars would make the mix better, as it is it's a bit muddy and the bass is hard to hear and seems to clash with the low strings of the guitar in places.I'd think it would probably fly for some listings, but it's not a slam dunk and there's definitelu room for improvement.HTH,matto

steini
Impressive
Impressive

Post by steini » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 pm

I think this song would become very good indeed with a good female singer, and I love the part when the drums come in. Needs some ornamental voices in the chorus, some higher lines, or add another guitar line to it like you do in the end.Cool song.

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Good comments Matto and Steinli. I had drums at the beginning but mixed them out after a critique for a muzak listing. But the drum issue makes sense for film/tv supervisors. I'd probably have to re-record the song for better sound quality because the levels were too low when it was recorded using a Mona soundcard w/built in preamp and an SM57 mic. I've since upgraded quite a bit. Yep, I hear what you mean Steinli in the choruses.Thanks!

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Oops, my bad Steini (not Steinli). Jeez!

asiabackpacker
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by asiabackpacker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Beautiful! Great feel!I couldn't stop listening....

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

James,Nice work. I really like it. Kind of a tex-mex southwestern feel. (I lived in Dallas and Austin for 17 years.) Sorry, I don't have the ear to comment well on broadcast quality issues.Dean

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks Asiabackpacker!Yeah Dean, I tend to go in a southwestern style direction if I'm not writing for something specific...not sure why really.. But I've got some songs that would make you feel like your riding on a burro.