Don't quite understand where the problem is

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Don't quite understand where the problem is

Post by ttully » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi,
I just got a return that I am not sure exactly what notes are drifting out of key.....

Here is the reviewers comments:

Cool melody line. However, some of the additional synth sounds are out of key with the main synth line.
Certain Keyboard sound patches have pitch drift and you have to always be aware of this with adding additional sounds that may hold the key without drift.

Here is the listing:
CONTEMPORARY HIP-HOP/RAP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by an A-List Music Publisher for Film and TV Sync Licensing. They’re searching for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general stylistic ballpark of the references below: WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised. “Watch” by Travis Scott ft. Lil Uzi Vert, Kanye West: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3iLo_JI9oY “Ric Flair Drip” by 21 Savage, Offset, Metro Boomin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTlvQ1Zet0 “Be Careful” by Cardi B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3uG4T8pJfw Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only. Please send them current-sounding Rap/Hip-Hop Instrumentals that are rhythmically and melodically engaging and have a modern sound. Your Instrumentals should have heavy, speaker-knocking percussion, catchy melodies, and cool-sounding ear candy throughout to keep it from sounding too linear or repetitive. Any virtual instruments you use need to be current-sounding and of high quality. Don’t send dated arrangements! Trap-leaning production can work for this request. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure your song’s production is as original as possible, as they’re looking to avoid songs that utilize pre-made construction loops/kits. Build your own samples, or use live instruments! All submissions should be 3:00 to 4:00 minutes long, give or take, with Non-Faded, Stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed. This company often averages several placements per week, and many of those are TAXI members who’ve been signed with this company because they submitted to a listing like this! This company offers EXCLUSIVE deals and pays an upfront fee to buy the copyright and master recording. You’ll keep the writer’s share of the publishing. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Friday, August 31st, 2018. TAXI #Y180831HH

The track is called 'All That' and it is the 4th one down on my Taxi page.....
If you know what notes the reviewer may be talking about please let me know, so I can fix it!!!

Thanks,
Tim

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Don't quite understand where the problem is

Post by lesmac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am

Its in the intro when you go to the 2nd? The root note is playing as well?

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 am

Hey Lesmac,

Maybe...but i don't think that is it......I could be wrong of course!
The reviewer says the additional synth sounds are drifting out of tune....or they are out of key with the main melody.
I think you are referring to the bass line not changing with the main synth....

Let’s see what some others say.......

Thanks!
Tim

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Hey, Tim!

I liked the track, especially the perc/rhythm.
At 1:11, the pitched synthy thing hit me a little awkward, but other than that, I didn't hear what the screener was hearing.

Nice work and keep cranking!

kerry cox
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks Kerry,

Maybe you are right...... but I just don't know!!!!

Also ...a shorter version of this track was forwarded to a different listing.... odd.

I also signed up to get a Custom Review to see if they can tell me what is in the wrong key, or drifting out of key.

Thanks again,
Tim

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:58 pm

I got my custom review of the track....here are 2 excerpts....

1) I believe the synth melody against the synth bass and chord structure does seem to clash at different times within the track. Rather than try to figure out exactly which note it is is the issue, I would just move on and write 20 more of these

2) As mentioned, over 3 minutes is too long for this kind of cue. Ideally, it should be between 1:20 and 2:10, 2:20 max if there enough material to make it that long.

It was over 3 minutes long because the listing said the track must be 3 to 4 minutes long.......

So, I still am not sure what is wrong....exactly.....oh well..... movin on!

Tim