MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Dramatic Atmospheric Instrumental Tension Cue

Post by MusicBug » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:02 am

Hi folks. Would love your feedback on this cue:

https://soundcloud.com/user-594152513/a ... jen-130bpm

It's for listing #S210304DR:

DRAMATIC, ATMOSPHERIC INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful Music Licensing Company with a fast-growing list of placements and clients.

This company is on the hunt for Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:
"CLOCKMAKER" by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
"402.2 The Other One" by Mac Quayle
"Sonia" by Cliff Martinez

Please submit well-composed Instrumental Cues that could help establish a dramatic atmosphere in a scene. Your submissions can be straight Electronic pieces, or they can be a hybrid of Orchestral and Electronic instrumentation. Production-wise, your submissions should be polished and feature state-of-the-art software sounds and samples. Any virtual Orchestral instrumentation you use should be high-quality and not stiff or obviously MIDI-Driven. You'd be wise to stick to a single motif mood, and layer instrumentation in-and-out as you progress to create a subtle sense of forward momentum.

NOTE: This Company is NOT looking for Cues that build in tension and dynamics greatly as they progress. They want music that will set the atmosphere of a scene without a ton of melodic and dynamic movement/change. Subtler is better for this pitch!

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Thanks people!
"It's Never Too Late To Be What You Could Have Been." -- George Eliot

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Dramatic Atmospheric Instrumental Tension Cue

Post by Ted » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:11 am

I can never be sure what the screener is going to say on this type of listing but this sounds pretty good to my ears. It has a nice dramatic mood to it-- but not too over-the-top. In this listing they said they didn't want it to increase in tension or build too much- and I think this track adheres to that.

The only thing I wasn't really digging was that clanging sound/cinematic effect or whatever that was building up right at the very end. I didn't think it really fit with the rest of the track in sound/mood. Maybe try something else there; I like everything else about the track.

Ted

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:33 am

Last edited by crashgates on Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:02 am

I like it

I could have perhaps used some ticky type percussion as it progressed and maybe a very sparse melody ....and like the others I think you need to stick the landing a a bit better

Low end sound a little boomy here so maybe check against the refs , some subtle saturation or a bit of OTT on the 2buss may help glue it all together a little more

Mark

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 am

Hi Kerry,

I also think it's a nice track. For me, the foley-sounding metal sounds (around :45 and then 1:15 or so) were a little low and didn't add much - maybe bring them up but add more width or stereo delay or something to up the interest slightly. I'd say around halfway through I started to wander, so maybe relisten to the refs and see how they keep it interesting and how many seconds they let something last before introducing something new (even just swells or filters or other automation). I also think the ending was too big and felt abrupt but overall it worked for my ears... but I'm not a screener!

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 am

Ted wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:11 am
I can never be sure what the screener is going to say on this type of listing but this sounds pretty good to my ears. It has a nice dramatic mood to it-- but not too over-the-top. In this listing they said they didn't want it to increase in tension or build too much- and I think this track adheres to that.

The only thing I wasn't really digging was that clanging sound/cinematic effect or whatever that was building up right at the very end. I didn't think it really fit with the rest of the track in sound/mood. Maybe try something else there; I like everything else about the track.

Ted
Hi Ted. Yes, that bit at the end is a big ? for me. I'm thinking of removing all of those sounds and spreading things out. Thanks for your feedback!

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 am

mwb2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 am
Hi Kerry,

I also think it's a nice track. For me, the foley-sounding metal sounds (around :45 and then 1:15 or so) were a little low and didn't add much - maybe bring them up but add more width or stereo delay or something to up the interest slightly. I'd say around halfway through I started to wander, so maybe relisten to the refs and see how they keep it interesting and how many seconds they let something last before introducing something new (even just swells or filters or other automation). I also think the ending was too big and felt abrupt but overall it worked for my ears... but I'm not a screener!

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike. Thank you. I can see a common theme in the feedback I'm getting and I intend to go back and make the recommended changes. My ears were telling me something was off, but I couldn't quite tell what it was. Now I think I know.

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:02 am
I like it

I could have perhaps used some ticky type percussion as it progressed and maybe a very sparse melody ....and like the others I think you need to stick the landing a a bit better

Low end sound a little boomy here so maybe check against the refs , some subtle saturation or a bit of OTT on the 2buss may help glue it all together a little more

Mark
Thanks Mark. I'm going to try a different version, employing your suggestions. Cheers!

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 am

crashgates wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:33 am
Don't know the ref tracks, but off the bat it sounds pretty cool, definitely could see this in some sort of murder mystery/thriller even action suspense scene, although felt like that spike at the end left me wanting more and was wondering if it could have been brought in a bit earlier and maybe take it to another level or another theme

also seemed a tad low in dynamic volume compared to other compressed tracks
Thanks for your comments. Most everyone seems in agreement about that spike at the end. I'll be fixing it. I appreciate your help.

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:00 am

Ted wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:11 am

Ted
Hi Ted. Yes, it's always a mystery what the screeners will think. But all of you who have been giving me feedback are saying basically the same thing, so I think I'd better pay attention! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Cheers!