"Dramatic Orchestral" -comments please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

doctoreternal
Active
Active

"Dramatic Orchestral" -comments please

Post by doctoreternal » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:39 pm

This is a piece I want to submit for what was called "DRAMA INSTRUMENTALS". My interpretation is Dramatic Orchestral. This is one of my most dramatic. Not knowing the destination, it may be way over the top. Looking for feedback about general quality, suitability for submitting.http://kai-lucid-dreaming-space-opera.t ... =112Things I am already aware of:-Too much reverb in the beginning-Very high dynamic range-Percussion needs to be toned down in the mix. Honest opinions, please. I can take it. Dr.E

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: "Dramatic Orchestral" -comments please

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi Dr E - I don't trust my ears to comment on production aspects, so you can take this with a grain of salt. I think you have good samples and I like the way the piece ebbs and flows. I like the intro & outro. I like the percussion that comes in around 1 min, and how it builds after that. It is definitely dramatic!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Hello Doctor Eternal,Good sounds. Nice composition. A good dramatic piece in my opinion.In response to your self-assessment:Reverb sounds appropriate to me especially for the strings.Dynamic range is fine to me for the type of piece this is.Percussion:The mix depends on what you are trying to achieve.1. Are you trying to make the percussion sound like it is a part of the orchestra? If so, it needs to sound like where the percussion section would be if it were in an orchestra. More reverb and further back. Percussion will travel well on it's own, that's why it's typically in the back row of the orchestra. Your timpani parts in particular sound too dry for the asethetic I'm describing.2. Are you featuring the percussion? In this case I'd keep the percussion as dry as it is and make it punchier.These are just my opinions and taste. Keep up the good work.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

doctoreternal
Active
Active

Post by doctoreternal » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:42 pm

Quote:Hello Doctor Eternal,1. Are you trying to make the percussion sound like it is a part of the orchestra? If so, it needs to sound like where the percussion section would be if it were in an orchestra. More reverb and further back. Percussion will travel well on it's own, that's why it's typically in the back row of the orchestra. Your timpani parts in particular sound too dry for the asethetic I'm describing.2. Are you featuring the percussion? In this case I'd keep the percussion as dry as it is and make it punchier.These are just my opinions and taste. Keep up the good work.MazzThanks for listening. Yes, I am featuring the percussion here. Will make it more dry and up-front in the final mix.Dr.E