Dramedy, too comedic

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Dramedy, too comedic

Post by Anders » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:51 am

Hi,

Inspired from the awesome Steve Barden Taxi TV episodes, I decided to try Dramedy for the first time
It was a return and I’m confused over the critique:

”Thanks for the submission Anders. Solid production. While your cue does have some dramedy elements, overall it is a bit more comedic and a bit too silly.”

I was aiming for ”comedic” and ”silly” with this which I figured would be good Dramedy moods.

Any comments are appreciated, do you agree with the screener? What should I change to make it forwardable/licensable? Is it Dramedy?

My track, Stupid Misery:
https://soundcloud.com/akysound/dramedyone3/s-SA3J9

The listing:

DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by Internationally distributed Music Library that with a super long list of TV and Film placements.

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fit alongside the following examples:

"Desperate Elves" by Steve Barden

KUWTK | E! (Starting from 1:22 -1:55)

RHOP | Bravo (Starting from 0:28 - 0:45)

Please send them well-crafted Instrumental Cues that fall within the range of the Dramedy genre. Be sure to build your Cues around a central melodic theme or motif, and keep them dynamic and forward-moving by layering other instruments in and out as your Cues progress. If you can imagine your Instrumental Cues playing during acts of mischief, or in sneaky and comedic moments, send them in!

Thanks!
/Anders

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Dramedy, too comedic

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 pm

It's definitely cartoony, and not dramedy. Dramedy is much more subtle in it's comedic elements, whereas this track of yours is a pretty on-the-nose slapstick type of comedy sound.

There are needs for this stuff too, just watch any America's Funniest Home Videos and you'll find it everywhere. But you won't hear this type of thing much in reality TV.

Bottom line, it's a good track, and very usable when the right listing comes up.

~~Matt

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Yes. Right from the start in the first 10 secs I already think I am in the clownsection of a circus show. Funny bassoon/sax/trombone(what is it?), drum rolls, trumpets!
I see what you mean, and that was actually sort of the mood I was going for at parts of the cue. However I realize now that it's probably much smarter to tame those emotions and keep things more subtle
…yes those are sax/trumpet/trombone layered…drum roll followed by cymbal + trumpet ”Doit” articulation might be what’s taking it too far there :)
I would possibly leave it and simply wait for a comedy listing. They seem to pop up every now and then. After all, they said "solid production"! Not really Dramedy in my opinion.
Yes, I will do just that. It was really fun track to put together hopefully it will come to use someday

Thank you for listening and commenting, Tom!

/Anders

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm

It's definitely cartoony, and not dramedy. Dramedy is much more subtle in it's comedic elements, whereas this track of yours is a pretty on-the-nose slapstick type of comedy sound.
Thanks you clarifying, listening back to the reference tracks I agree the comedic elements should have less weight.
Bottom line, it's a good track, and very usable when the right listing comes up.
Sounds good, I will leave it as it is. I guess there's not necessary a defined genre to fit this but I’ll look for those keywords on listings specs.

I really appreciate your advice Matt, thank you!

btw, I watched the awesome show from Boise a few days ago, it was truly motivating!

...Boise, also the home of my all-time favorite indie rock band Built to Spill :D

/Anders