Drum and Fife - authentic or 'authentic'?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Drum and Fife - authentic or 'authentic'?

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi fellow Dispatchers

I'm working up a drum and fife piece as per the listing below, but am a little confused about it:

18th CENTURY TRADITIONAL AMERICAN FIFE and DRUM INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Creative Director of an incredibly successful Music Library. He needs authentic sounding tracks to pitch for specific time-sensitive period projects in Film and TV.

Quoting the source: "Tracks should sound like the style of music that was written and performed between 1700-1780. We're going for a very traditional feel. I want tracks that can take the listener and viewer back to the time of the original Colonies." Check out the reference link below to get an idea of the general stylistic wheelhouse for the sound, vibe, and tone that he's going for.

http://bit.ly/1bDIMem

Think of the style of instrumental that works so well in movies like "The Patriot." Make sure you have a traditional and authentic early American Colonial sound rather than a Celtic sound.

This company offers an Exclusive 50/50 deal. They keep 100% of publishing, and you keep 100% of the writer's share. Broadcast quality is needed (excellent sounding home recordings are fine). Do not submit any material containing any unauthorized samples. Please submit one to three instrumentals by land, by sea, online, or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis. No full critiques. All submissions must be received no later than Monday, December 9th by 12pm (PDT). TAXI #D131209IN

I was wondering that, since some of the music in 'The Patriot' is not actually traditional - it's traditional-ish with a hollywood schmear, as it were - maybe I should make my pitch slightly less than really authentic. Any thoughts?

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Drum and Fife - authentic or 'authentic'?

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 pm

...also, the ALA is Irish, but listing said to avoid 'Celtic' music.

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 am

A few people (15) have apparently had a look at this thread, so i thought I would just share the track i submitted just in case anyone might be interested.

Despite the ad's being slightly ambiguous, I went ahead and did something very traditional or authentic (or tried to). Hope it passes, because it could be a long time before there is another call for this type of stuff!

On my taxi page; song is "Rondeau - Fife+Drum'.

cheers

irina456

Post by irina456 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:04 am

The song very much, good lyrics :!:

Barryfoorp

Drum and Fife authentic or authentic

Post by Barryfoorp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Sterling Price was called Ol Pap where did you get that other one? Havent read that.

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:06 pm

jonnybutter wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 am
A few people (15) have apparently had a look at this thread, so i thought I would just share the track i submitted just in case anyone might be interested.

Despite the ad's being slightly ambiguous, I went ahead and did something very traditional or authentic (or tried to). Hope it passes, because it could be a long time before there is another call for this type of stuff!

On my taxi page; song is "Rondeau - Fife+Drum'.

cheers
I couldn't find the piece called Rondeau - Fife+Drum on your taxi page. Is it up? I would love to hear it.

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:38 pm

I love the fife and drum! If you are going with a traditional sound. Good news is, kevlar and mylar heads were never used on a rope drum, or so I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp92lJTMHTA
No brass in fife! Is there? Brass does sound cool with the fife.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to help with the snare drum playing. I don't have a rope drum, but I do know the complexities of rudimental drumming. Private message me if interested.

Peace out,
Greg

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:49 pm

jonnybutter wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Quoting the source: "Tracks should sound like the style of music that was written and performed between 1700-1780. We're going for a very traditional feel. I want tracks that can take the listener and viewer back to the time of the original Colonies." Check out the reference link below to get an idea of the general stylistic wheelhouse for the sound, vibe, and tone that he's going for.

http://bit.ly/1bDIMem

Wait! I'm confused. Traditional fife and drum wouldn't use a Scottish snare drum with a kevlar/mylar head, would it? They didn't have those types of heads in the 1700-1780. This supposed to be American colonies?

I heard this reference earlier and I thought it was Pipe band. I just wrote a post about the heads never being kevlar, I stand corrected. Most be the new thing to do. ahhh. This shatters my whole world view on fife and drum. They are supposed to be rope drums being performed on by snare drummers with mega chops.

Someone help me,
Greg

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:07 pm

I was so excited about the fife and drum that I didn't even notice this thread is from 2013. LOL. My bad.

My offer still stands if anyone wants help with the rudimental snare drum.

he he he he. I'm such a dork.
Greg

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:04 am

Yes Greg...you are a dork, ha!!

But I'm a bigger dork for answering!

You are correct...the snare in the youtube clip is not even close to a snare drum from the 1700's.
It sounds like very bad kevlar midi snare drum.

Bus as you see... many people...including music supervisors don't know this stuff.

My 1700 cents worth,
Tim