Drum Software Workflow

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Drum Software Workflow

Post by fusilierb » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:22 pm

You can never have enough drum options and they are all kind of a pain to get something great out of. And I guess the answer really depends on the kind of music you write?

Superior Drummer sounds great. It's got lot's of grooves built in and tons more that you can buy. And you can just play your own beats in and use its sounds. But as far as programming a drum track. If you're not starting with a drum loop and writing to that and are starting with music and need a drummer. Then, EZ drummer just released a new version and it's got a neat trick up its sleeve that has kind made programming "songs" much easier. Checkout videos on the Bandmate feature. You export a guitar or bass part from your actual track and then it searches for grooves in its library that would work. And I can tell you they do indeed work. Note: the more groove libraries you own from them the more options the AI can mine. So the basic set might not give you tons of great options, but)

I swear they aren't paying me, but if you then use the built in song creator to keep your drum midi inside the app as you are working on it, you can then do some big picture changes that are tedious and awful to have to do inside a midi track in your DAW. As far as building (programming)n a drum track that feels real and right for your material I haven't seen anything better than this so far. And I've used and Love tons of other options. This is the fastest way from zero to hero.

IMHO

B

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:34 pm

fusilierb wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:22 pm
You can never have enough drum options and they are all kind of a pain to get something great out of. And I guess the answer really depends on the kind of music you write?

Superior Drummer sounds great. It's got lot's of grooves built in and tons more that you can buy. And you can just play your own beats in and use its sounds. But as far as programming a drum track. If you're not starting with a drum loop and writing to that and are starting with music and need a drummer. Then, EZ drummer just released a new version and it's got a neat trick up its sleeve that has kind made programming "songs" much easier. Checkout videos on the Bandmate feature. You export a guitar or bass part from your actual track and then it searches for grooves in its library that would work. And I can tell you they do indeed work. Note: the more groove libraries you own from them the more options the AI can mine. So the basic set might not give you tons of great options, but)

I swear they aren't paying me, but if you then use the built in song creator to keep your drum midi inside the app as you are working on it, you can then do some big picture changes that are tedious and awful to have to do inside a midi track in your DAW. As far as building (programming)n a drum track that feels real and right for your material I haven't seen anything better than this so far. And I've used and Love tons of other options. This is the fastest way from zero to hero.

IMHO

B
Thanks so much Bryan - That's really helpful, I like the AI features within the new version of EZ3 and agree it looks a fast way from nothing to having completed parts. I actually bought it last week, along with the Groove Monkey everything pack (or whatever its called) along with SSD5.5, and intend to use EZ drummer for creating the parts, then beefing up with other sounds when necessary. Thanks so much again!

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:44 am

No problem. Have fun with it. It’s my new go to tool and it has been great for me. It is worth your time to YouTube some videos on how you can keep everything inside ezdrummer and just use all the built in tools. Toontrack has some great ones. It helped me a ton.