Drums Samples and the beat they sailed in on...

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Drums Samples and the beat they sailed in on..

Post by zircon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Another vote for Battery 3, actually. I'm using it on a new track and it sound absolutely fantastic. Very playable.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Quote:Stylus RMX is absolutely fantastic, though if you want ultra-realistic sounds to sequence yourself, it might not be the best option. For that, try Drumkit from Hell or BFD (both rock oriented, but can work for pop, jazz, etc)Yes, Stylus RMX is beyond fantastic. One thing I've not tried but I know exists is that they have what they call SAGE Expanders. These are drum/rhythm libraries that you import and use with Stylus RMX. They have "Backbeat", "Retro Funk", "Liquid Grooves", and "Burning Grooves", all live acoustic drum stuff.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am

Quote:Quote:Stylus RMX is absolutely fantastic, though if you want ultra-realistic sounds to sequence yourself, it might not be the best option. For that, try Drumkit from Hell or BFD (both rock oriented, but can work for pop, jazz, etc)Yes, Stylus RMX is beyond fantastic. One thing I've not tried but I know exists is that they have what they call SAGE Expanders. These are drum/rhythm libraries that you import and use with Stylus RMX. They have "Backbeat", "Retro Funk", "Liquid Grooves", and "Burning Grooves", all live acoustic drum stuff. Dave, all of the expanders are great. The more esoteric ones are very cool as well, Metamorphosis is wild. The Ilio ones are cool too. For film/TV work, they're indispensible.Ciao, John
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Quote:The Stylus add on libraries are also very good, both from Spectrasonics and Iilo.MazzI tried to google this "Iilo" but found nothing except this post! Could you point me somewhere with a URL to check those out please, Mazz?thanks pal,steve

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:10 pm

Typo, he meant Ilio. They are a distributor not a manufacturer, I believe.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Quote:Typo, he meant Ilio. They are a distributor not a manufacturer, I believe.Spectrasonics is the manufacturer:http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Actually Ilio makes RMX Expanders too:http://www.ilio.com/ilio/xpanders/index.htmlThey are both a producer of sample libraries and RMX expanders, and a distributor of other companies' products, including Spectrasonics and VSL.

chrisbee
Impressive
Impressive

Post by chrisbee » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:45 pm

I have to put my 2 cents in here -I use BFD drums and highly recommend it! All the kits have room mikes and overheads (+ L&R wall mounted mikes) which are moveable to go along with the individual mikes. I love mixing a fair amount of room into my drum mixes because of the realism it creates. I also find that which sample is triggered by the different velocities I naturally play with (on a keyboard or small drum pad) add to the realism.I guess coming from using the stock drums inside my synths (Roland, Korg, Yamaha) for the past few years means that ANY of the products mentioned in this thread would have made me happy though. I just happened to buy BFD and ended up happy as can be.I mean, who needs a drummer anyway???? All those mikes and inputs! And the time to set 'em up... hahaha