Dub Forest

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Dub Forest

Post by AudiniAudio » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:50 pm

This piece was inspired by Dub culture and the album Deep Forest which some of you may be aware. A good critic should talk about intent, technique, and structure minimally.

In my mind, when I'm composing I always think of an imaginary project the track would go on. This is not intended for most libraries. It's me composing for myself. That covers my intent, to emulate one of my heroes.

The technique I used to make it was to rate every effect based on it's rhythmic complexity then arrange them from simple to complex. I went through every effect in my DAW for each instrument; drums, bass, piano, and voices. Let me tell you, that's really saying something. It's quite an undertaking. Sound Toys make some great plugins.

I now have a better understanding of what works for each instrument and what doesn't. I learned reverbs that sound amazing out of context just muddy up everything in general. A little truly does go a long way. I now have a handy-dandy list of go-to settings for each instrument rated as to rhythmic interest.

As far as the structure goes, I used a 32 measure theme and variations as my starting point. I mostly stick to it. It was really fun to make this. It's an interesting mashup of styles. Ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you... DUB FOREST!!! https://soundcloud.com/greg-turner-552985147/dub-forest

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Dub Forest

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:30 am

AudiniAudio wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:50 pm
It was really fun to make this.
Sounds like something my kids made when they first got Garageband...glad you had fun