Dubstep Basses

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hanspeter
Active
Active

Dubstep Basses

Post by hanspeter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 am

I am currently working on Dubstep basses in Omnishere. First I found that I need to buy a midicontroller with a modwheel ( Alesis QX 49 ) and now I am running some tests on this. Actually I don't really like this genre even that I has really become very popular. I was always really exited by electronic music but Dupstep is really a task :D Maybe there is a way to make it sound more musical so I can not use any sample libraries which leaded to my tests I am now running.

Anybody is working on a simliar task ? Maybe we could share some technical ideas :-)

Best

HP

ericmakesmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Dubstep Basses

Post by ericmakesmusic » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:40 am

Dubstep definitely takes more work. But, some of the tools that producers are using can make it easier. I switched to Ableton Live from Pro Tools specifically because I find it much easier to do the automated tricks that create the dubstep and electronic sounds. Also, the VST, Massive, comes with a ton of great sounds and all of the presets have knobs that make it easy to tweak the sound. If you combine that with the automation of whatever DAW you're working with, the skies the limit.

Without these tools, the genre becomes very tiresome and takes away from your creativity. Mod wheels definitely help, but the biggest thing is, "How do I automate?" The Mod wheel is one way to do it but you have to do it with you hand while you're playing. With software automation, it's just a matter of creating the breakpoints on the screen. So, whatever software makes automation easiest, will help you appreciate the genre more. For me, this was Ableton but it depends on what you're using and how comfortable you are with it.

hanspeter
Active
Active

Post by hanspeter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 am

Hi Eric,

thanks for sharing your experiences - this helps. Acutally I had this thought, that there must be a trick to produce Dubstep since there are so many things going on at one time. Before I did all automation ( in Nuendo ) with the mouse ( believe it or not :D ) - but in Nuendo you can really sync nearly every parameter live in Ominshere or Zebra ( the other synth I am using ) with the faders and sliders. Its like learning a new instrument now - and in fact the sky is the limit. I don't really know where to start - so I decided to start with the basses.

Since I also love some static elements I will try to find something in between. I really love electronic music but some of it really sucks in this genre. :D

Best

HP

richmstudios
Impressive
Impressive

Post by richmstudios » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Hey HP, I just started working on my first dubstep piece this week. Definitely a pain and some of the programming can be soooo tedious that it's not like making music at all! I managed to put together a short 55-second intro together so far (the bit that preceeds the big bass drop) but it's kind of mellow and not very dubstep sounding yet; it was done mostly w/Omnisphere (good for electronica but not so much so for dubstep).

I'm going to start on the heavy dubstep elements today and will be using Ableton Live to do it. I'll start w/this tool to create the signature "wobble bass". Here's a YouTube video I found that may be helpful using Ableton Live 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ.

I do have a midi controller with a mod wheel but I didn't see any dubstep basses jump out at me in Omnisphere. I'm curious as to what patch you're working with if you don't mind sharing.

Good luck,

Rich
Rich Martens
| SoundCloud | Twitter | Facebook | Suzanne's TAXI Page |

"Write, submit, forget, repeat."

hanspeter
Active
Active

Post by hanspeter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Hey Rich,

thanks for the useful information. That video really shows the typical basses and modulations - actually the ones I personally don't like at all :D - I see the point that it is interesting what can all be achieved with programming skills but some tunes I heard take it too far and it does not really sound like music to me anymore even I am really open to new and freaky stuff maybe the genre is not really THE thing for me. I am truely wondering why I became so popular in the electronic genre.

I am referring to the tutorial by spectrasonics here http://www.spectrasonics.net/video/ipad ... php?id=135

I am working myself a bit thru different possibilites in modulations of the envelops, the mods and waveshaping on the edit section which is showed a bit in that tutorial. I personally find zebra a bit more effektiv in automation possibilites but I prefere the ominshere sounds. So its a bit a gap in between.

Best

HP

ericmakesmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ericmakesmusic » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm

I think a lot of dubstep producers focus on the "noise" aspect but if you search you can find people who are able to incorporate more musical elements. Personally I think the people that the Taxi listings typically reference: Skrillex, Flux Pavilion etc. tend to be on the musical side.

I also think the future of the genre will involve more musical elements.

My belief is that dubstep is probably on the decline as far as popularity here in the States. However, the tricks and techniques have probably changed mainstream production forever. Every pop, hip hop, electronic producer etc, will be better off when they can incorporate these techniques into their productions.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 pm

If you don't like dubstep, then that will probably come out in your music. Why not write what you love or at least what you like. Nothing sucks worse than forcing yourself to work on something you can't stand the sound of. In the licensing world there is already a lot of dubstep and its being made by people that live and breathe the genre. They are your competition. Your dubstep will never sound as authentic as theirs unless you learn to enjoy making it, and in addition, clients will smell that you are a poser and won't use your piece anyway. If they have a choice to use something that is real, they will do it!

Of course, you are also enhancing your technical chops by learning how to use a mod wheel, etc., so something positive can come out of it.

I'm not trying to be discouraging here or negative, it's just that I'd hate to see you waste precious time learning something that is not your taste. Why not make something that you can make great already and that you can infuse with positive energy? It really makes difference in the success of the music. I speak from experience!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hanspeter
Active
Active

Post by hanspeter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 pm

@Mazz - my words :D

I thought I give it a shot - I always loved parts of electronic music in combination with guitar or piano or both. But actually it came to my mind that this specific genre it is a waste of time for me - since I have other things going on. Just tried to learn and explore the unknown - who knows what comes out. You never know till you tried and modern productions methods are always great to know.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 pm

It's never a waste to learn something new for sure! Time is precious, spend it wisely! I'm in a philosophical mood with the new year coming!

Cheers!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

coolhouse912
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by coolhouse912 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:12 am

Dubstep is definitely tough. I've tried working with Massive & Reaktor's Lazer Bass. Lazer Bass is somewhat easier to wrap your head around but so far I haven't hit the sweet spot yet. From repeated listening I've recognized definite melodies in the bass drops but they tend to be obscured by the sound design.

Mazz hit it on the head. I've wanted to learn it because I love learning new stuff. However, we still have to keep our eyes on the ball and prioritize or nothing significant gets done.

regards,

Mike
Michael Jones
ImageImage