Dystopian Christmas S211203PD

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Dystopian Christmas S211203PD

Post by AlanHall » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:52 pm

So many discussions already, I won't post the listing or refs.
Here's my take on this. Please note, not mixed yet; just added some strings earlier this evening. Please let me know if it's off the mark, or missing something essential. All comments welcome, of course!

We Three Kings (PD)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Dystopian Christmas S211203PD

Post by DouglasKnight » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Very spooky rendition! Very nice job blending the instruments and sound effects, and I really like the strings. Good luck with this one!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 pm

Very nice, Alan. A most creative approach. Just the right touch of strings. The only thing I might suggest is to keep a bit more of the original melody against the supportive elements you've already got in play. I say this because, for me anyway, the end of the first phrase melody line could well make the whole piece stand on its own NOT as "We Three Kings." (A compliment, BTW.) Love the "clock tower chime." Best of luck with this whatever you decide. John

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:09 pm
Very spooky rendition! Very nice job blending the instruments and sound effects, and I really like the strings. Good luck with this one!
Thanks, Douglas! I am moving forward on this one.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:37 pm

johndalenow wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 pm
Very nice, Alan. A most creative approach. Just the right touch of strings. The only thing I might suggest is to keep a bit more of the original melody against the supportive elements you've already got in play. I say this because, for me anyway, the end of the first phrase melody line could well make the whole piece stand on its own NOT as "We Three Kings." (A compliment, BTW.) Love the "clock tower chime." Best of luck with this whatever you decide. John
I struggled with how far from the original melodic line to deviate. For example, the second reference - while titled 'silent night' - is clearly not a cover, but an original composition and may bear a slight relation to the Christmas carol, but I don't hear it. I agree that I may have gone too far to distance myself from the original. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:51 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:42 pm
AlanHall wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:52 pm
All comments welcome, of course!
Hi Alan

For me, this track does not work at all. The reason is that apart from somewhat random bells and FX, the piano establishes a very nice and warm feel right from the start. So, rather than dystopian, I get a mixed message - someone tries to distort a very nice warm piano and strings with some random spooky sounds. This is not at all what I get from the references, which set a dark mood right from the get-go and work much more with appropriately changed keys, instrumentation and production. I don't think this is down to the mix and could be solved that way. Towards the end, I do get a more sad emotion from the track, but that too is not really dystopian (IMO).

Sorry to be the party pooper! :shock:
Tom
Tom,
I hope you know that I value your discernment and opinions! So I thank you for being honest with me. I had to laugh at the "random bells and FX" comment, for you are spot on in that regard. I am literally playing with new sound libraries that I got in the last few weeks, so it's entirely my fault for being self-indulgent in that regard :lol:
I can hear that I spend too much time with a 'normal' accompaniment before trying to dystope-ize the track. I also know that I need to go back to the refs and listen again after putting some sounds down. Is the track salvageable by minor changes to harmony/instrumentation? I'm tempted to just let it go and start tracking a wild west kid's fun/menacing barroom brawl. For that listing, so far I have put new strings on my guitars. 8-)

edit: I went back and listened to the ref tracks again. I just can't put my finger on what "dystopian" means for this listing. The first track is obviously a major tune played in a minor mode. The second sounds like a trailer piece, with a nod to Carmina Burana with the huge brass and choral parts. The last is, well, carol of the bells with some minor harmonies that plod along in the second half. Nothing that really sounds dark or menacing (any more than it already is!). Choosing a piece that is already in a minor mode doesn't give much 'wiggle room' in making it darker, harmonically. What am I missing? Can you help me understand?
Last edited by AlanHall on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Almost forgot! A first mix is up on my page, see the link in post #1.

edit: final mix up on the Taxi page, link as above. Not sure if I'll submit, as I'm often veering from the listing. Tom thinks so on this track, and I'm tempted to trust his judgement. I'd still like to know what's so dystopian about the ref tracks...