E-Guitars, how is your recoding approach?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tonedimension
Active
Active

Re: E-Guitars, how is your recoding approach?

Post by tonedimension » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:28 am

I used to use nothing but tube amps mic'd up in a nice room. It sounded great and still does. Thing is, for my workflow I found I was having to run to the live room, futz about with mic placement, amp settings,change amps to suit the sound I wanted, revisit the eariler steps, etc. and then get back to actually recording. BTW, I also am fortunate enough to live in a place where I can play as loudly as I like, any time I like, but I digress.

Anyway, not a horrible situation by any stretch but it lead me several years ago to a Kemper Profiling Amp. For the past two years I have used nothing but the KPA and all my tones sound the same because I profiled my physical amplifiers. I also got several other, many actually, amplifier tones that I always felt would be useful. With the release of Rig Manager a couple years ago this thing became so much more user-friendly in terms of tweaking the rigs. For my workflow, it really accelerates things. I can change amps rapidly and stay in the moment. For me, it's an approach that works and works so much more satisfactorily than plugins ever did.

So, for me, it's a KPA all the way.
Bryan...

"Record like there is no mixing and mix like there is no mastering."

https://www.bryannicholas.com
https://soundcloud.com/tonedimension

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:20 pm

Thanks, great tip! that's what I like too about the AXE is the software that comes with it to tweak and experiment with tones. I probably have to spend some more time experimenting and find the sounds I'm dreaming about. For ex. some firmware updates ago something changed and an incredible Benson sound disappeared from the preset list. It was really so close to the real thing. I haven't managed to reprogram it. Maybe with the AXE III? But It's a 2500 bucks investment :shock:
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:22 pm

I've wrestled with this for some time. Its incredible how many variations, combinations and permuataions there are when it comes to the simple act of sticking a guitar signal into a computer. I don't think I've ever used the same devices or software twice and there's still loads of things I've not tried yet.

I'm a tube amp player, and for live use I still lug a heavy amp around with me, but setting it up to record at home in a small upstairs room just doesn't work for me. Then there's the heat, hiss and hum. I have a Boss Katana that can provide silent recording and its sort of OK but somewhat lacking compared with my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special.

At the other end of the spectrum, I've tried quite a few amp sims (although not the ones mentioned in posts above). Actually, I find some very useful settings in the Steinberg amp sim included with Cubase, but I've tried many others too and can't seem to settle on any of them as a constant companion. They are the most convenient method for me, but although my computer interface latency is low, I still sense some delay when playing into the computer and that can be annoying.

Somewhere in the middle of all this is the external amp/cab sim box, and that's where I feel most at home at present (although it could change if a better solution presents itself in future). I watched a Youtube video some time ago, and of the 4 devices demoed and discussed I found the Amplifirebox slightly more attractive to my ears (but I realise the sound is recorded and compressed etc, so not entirely realistic).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD1X2323WxI
Anyway, I ended up grabbing a reasonably priced Amplifirebox from an Ebay sale, and its not bad at all. No latency, little weight, simple config software, plus most controls on the box, and a decent sound that works for me. Its no Kemper, but then again its a fraction of the Kemper price. I'd still be interested in trying the Humboult SImplifier and also the Two Notes Torpedo CAB, but all in good time :).

By the way, I most often record guitar that are more towards clean than heavy rock/metal. I find it easier to dial in rocky sounds with various amp sims, but cleaner tones seem less satisfying. The Amplifirebox does pretty well with both. No doubt everyone else will have a slightly different take on all these matters.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

smelterbox
Active
Active

Post by smelterbox » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:59 pm

[quote=melodea post_id=593453 time=1631601035 user_id=457626]
Was wondering if you go for modeling stuff like AXE FX, Kemper etc or do you do the real thing with amp and mics? I struggle mostly with clean tones. Disto and crunch tones are awsome with the AXE, but the clean sound lack of debth.
[/quote]

Currently I'm using an Avid Eleven and POD HD-500. I have been rethinking it after playing through a Vox AC30 into the open air. Something about the cleans made the hair on my arms stand up.

However, my situation is that I live in a small apartment. Running direct is my cleanest option.

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42 am

I go guitar=>tube amp=>sm57 or sm58b=>daw for most clean stuff, though I also use Anplitube at times.

Boring and standardized, I know…

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:55 am

I do use the AXE II most of the time. I've been using it for years and with some fumbling in the parameter section, even the clean sounds are decent. I'm considering other options though to not sound the same all the time! What I consider really important is the fact that I run the signal in a pedalboard first with a decent wah, t-wah, and OCD from fulltone! That gives me the option to really get some dynamic sounds.
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser