Ears on MODERN EDM Song (S210908DM)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Ears on MODERN EDM Song (S210908DM)

Post by irthlingz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Please let us know how we can improve this!
>"He Bad"<

Thanks!
===
Michael & Sharon
===
Several MODERN EDM SONGS in a Range of Moods are needed by a Music Supervisor for several (up to) $3,000 placements in a brand new TV Show that just got picked up by a Major Broadcast Network!

BIG BACK END: Since these placements will be on a Major Broadcast Network TV show, royalty payments on the backend will likely be really good!

This Music Supervisor is looking for quite a few Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Zeus" by HI-LO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85-I4UDFRiE

"Turn Me On" by Riton & Oliver Heldens feat. Vula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN-lGk5eThM

"Make Me Feel" by John Summit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExUdTsQ-mes

"Came For The Low" by ZHU feat. partywithray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1vWlLCDx8

"Wicked" by lau.ra feat. Eliza Legzdina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1mZW-rhGk

Quoting the Music Supervisor: "We're looking for Songs for source music in Las Vegas club scenes. The moods we're looking for are slinky/sexy, sleazy/bondage, fun/party, and driving/hard-hitting."

Tracks with no vocals, typical Pop lyrical/song structure, or more minimal, repetitive vocals are all okay to submit to this opportunity.

Please submit top-notch EDM Songs with danceable beats, exciting drop sections, and tons of energy and attitude. Your production and all virtual instruments or samples you use should be super top-notch and cutting-edge. If you're submitting tracks with vocals, they should be super compelling and well-performed.

NOTE: Do NOT submit any tracks with spoken producer tags/watermarks as they're not usable for film and TV placements.

This Music Supervisor has specifically requested that your lyrics are completely clean (NO profanity). Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, and brands will be the most appealing to this Music Supervisor. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

WORTH MENTIONING: Since these placements will be on a Major Network show, royalty payments on the backend will likely be pretty good!

The estimated license fee for each of these placements is up to $3,000, depending on the ultimate use. This will be a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll get 100% of the Sync Fee, you’ll keep 100% of your Publishing and Master ownership, and you’ll also get 100% of any applicable performance royalties. No Publisher splits! You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD; please include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, September 8th, 2021. TAXI # S210908DM

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Ears on MODERN EDM Song (S210908DM)

Post by AlanHall » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Every instrument/element must be both tantalizing when solo, and harmonious when combined with other elements. The drums and bass must be CRISP to stand out. What I heard in your track was a bit 'flubby' and did not present in the typical octaves for this style. Think about how this mix will sound on 18" subs; and on TV where there may be no bass to speak of. Mix for both playback systems, so it sounds great on both. Sculpt the tone of each instrument to achieve this!
The ref tracks have that 'sheen' that makes the music stand out. Is it EQ, compression? I don't know (why I haven't recently tried anything like this!) but I know when it's not present. EDM has been a continually-evolving thing for as long as there has been turntables and PA systems. There's decades of technique that goes into it. If you can get that 'sound' then you can sign this style. Try to find some tutorials on mixing tips and tricks. Hope this helps!

edit: you know that this is a super-high-bar listing from the description. Have fun! ;)

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:28 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:21 pm
Hope this helps!
Yes, thank you Alan!
AlanHall wrote:
... did not present in the typical octaves for this style
So you're saying the bass is too low and growly?
AlanHall wrote:
edit: you know that this is a super-high-bar listing from the description.
Oh yeah ...
AlanHall wrote:
Have fun! ;)
We do! (And hopefully learn something in the process.)

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Not my genre wheelhouse, and without reading others' comments - just an old-guy's first impression:
At 3:28 - it seems way too long. A 2:00 usable Instrumental Cue format seems your best target.
If it were mine, I'd start with
1) cutting the Intro in half - bring in the next section at about 0:04
2) maybe start cutting out some of the 'odd' chord-change sections; and/or
3) loop the 'best' melodic sections.

Other than that - I'll leave it to your EDM Peers to dial in the finer points of it.
There are some sections that sound good, and so there's potential to work with.

HTH, Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 pm

Thank you, Peter. We appreciate your thoughtful listen!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:06 am

irthlingz wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Please let us know how we can improve this!
As someone who's had EDM track in Libraries & on TV I gotta say this is not even close.

It sounds like a jumbled thrown together electronic track with some questionable chord progressions and out of context sounds. The early part sounds more like something meant for a kids TV show than what they ask for in the listing...."slinky/sexy, sleazy/bondage, fun/party, and driving/hard-hitting."
irthlingz wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Please submit top-notch EDM Songs with danceable beats, exciting drop sections, and tons of energy and attitude. Your production and all virtual instruments or samples you use should be super top-notch and cutting-edge
I am not sure if anything I could possibly suggest would help it match the above statement, it just sounds like you've never listened to an EDM track before. The main thing is to listen and enjoy the style of music on a consistent basis, otherwise you're never going to understand what you're aiming for and whatever you com up with will sound inauthentic. However a few basic things you can try..

Take off the last section after 2.16 it's not needed

Halve the intro

Come up with some better chords, even if you just lift them from another EDM song for now, you can put them in a different key

Learn to write a proper EDM style bass line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9v9y9LOeU

Get rid of the cheesy drums and fills and at the very least replace them with a decent sample loop from Splice or somewhere for now

Mark

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:53 pm

Mark - Thank you. Not just sayin this -- we really appreciate your feedback.

BTW - though it's true we don't listen to EDM on a consistent basis, we did listen to six different reference tracks for two similar listings, each more than once. And actually perused a couple of websites, tutorials etc. And maybe through the process, we at least learn something. Even if we were to give up trying to compose EDM for the time being, we would definitely have gained something from the process.

Also, any specific kids TV shows you think this would be good for? :D

Anyway, about to watch that bass video now!

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:12 pm

I've said this before and I'll say it again - when you're going for sync, don't aim at everything, but PICK your targets. You're doing too much different stuff, and not doing well enough on each track; then moving to the next one without paying the previous one proper attention. Like shooting a lot of blanks, hoping to hit something somewhere - and you won't, this isn't some random number generator where you'll hit the jackpot some day, you need to put your work in and you're not doing that - you're cluttering the forum with a lot of half-baked ideas right now without bothering to actually take them somewhere.

Explore depth, not width.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:10 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:12 pm
I've said this before and I'll say it again - when you're going for sync, don't aim at everything, but PICK your targets. You're doing too much different stuff, and not doing well enough on each track; then moving to the next one without paying the previous one proper attention. Like shooting a lot of blanks, hoping to hit something somewhere - and you won't, this isn't some random number generator where you'll hit the jackpot some day, you need to put your work in and you're not doing that - you're cluttering the forum with a lot of half-baked ideas right now without bothering to actually take them somewhere.

Explore depth, not width.
We actually are working with the feedback we got on previous ones, in addition to throwing some things out there for which we are wildly unqualified at present, with the hope that we will learn something in the process.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:15 pm

For what it's worth - it is not new advice, even from the CEO & staff of TAXI -
to find a genre you like, "your wheelhouse" - and focus on writing/creating/collaborating
on that one thing - at least to begin with.
And - once you've got a track that's on-par when you A/B compare it to others of its kind that have gotten FORWARDED...
then produce another batch/album (let's say 10) tracks of that. All of that before branching out 'shotgun' style.
Pick a genre you both REALLY REALLY enjoy, and will find yourselves compelled to refine.
Then the journey will be fun and rewarding at the same time; and probably way less frustrating.

The shotgun approach may be fun, in the moment, but likely won't help you onto your destination via this TAXI ride.
You may also find much more welcoming feedback on these Forums, if you decide & choose a definite path.

Good luck. Choose wisely. You can do it.
2 cents from The Peanut Gallery. :? :)
HTH, Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra