Eat and Greet, and other things...

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Eat and Greet, and other things...

Post by AlanHall » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:45 am

Is it considered bad form to get tickets to BOTH 'Eat and Greet' sessions? I'm not sure what the seating capacity is, I'd hate to deny someone else the opportunity :oops:
How many old timers still eat and greet? More than one session?

What else besides the eat and greet do I need to be on the lookout for ahead of time? I've already got the room and the plane tickets, thanks. ;)

edit: I signed my first lib deal earlier this year, and am looking forward to meeting the lib owner at the rally. How busy do you think the head screener will be?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Eat and Greet, and other things...

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:31 am

Hi Alan,
My advice would be to do just one eat & greet. You might love it - its a chance to offload some of your music on some influential folk, get their general advice, meet the others around your table, and if nothing else it might be the best chance of a decent lunch you'll get :) - its also very noisy, tough to hear what's being said unless you're sitting next to the guest, and can be a tedious experience. Once was enough for me, but YMMV.

My personal opinion is that getting your choice of mentor for the 1:1 could be far more important, so I'd make sure you've ranked your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice ahead of arrival, and that you're well up the registration line (and that that line can also be a really rewarding networking experience). Practice introducing yourself and giving out your photo business cards (so that when folk get home with pockets full of them, and you will too, at least they'll remember you from your photo).

Hang around the bar area every evening and you'll meet a ton of people. Always wear your badge and people will know you from the forums.

Check out this thread, which is probably still valid.
what-to-bring-to-the-rally-2022-edition-t149988.html

Oh, and if you want to get any sleep then stay off the free Rockstar - its full of caffeine :).
Above all, have fun!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:55 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:31 am
Hi Alan,
what-to-bring-to-the-rally-2022-edition-t149988.html
Yes, Thanks, Graham! While I've read some of the recommendations mentioned in the linked thread, it's definitely good to see the things I've missed - or forgotten about. Sitting near the mentor at the eat & greet! I have a neurological problem being able to block out extraneous noise, so that's super important for me to consider. (it can't be because I'm 63 and have mistreated my ears for decades :roll: )
Oh, and if you want to get any sleep then stay off the free Rockstar - its full of caffeine :).
\Where's the fun in that?
Above all, have fun!
You bet! See you there?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:58 am

It's not at all bad form but I agree with Telefunkin that one is enough. :D

Oh, a tip. Get on line very early so when the doors open you get your choice of a good table and seat. Grab a table on the side of the room, not the middle (less noisy) and a seat next to the mentor's seat which is indicated as such. Their is a lot of ambient noise in the room so you want to maximize your experience.

Hope to see you at the rally! I hope to be teaching a Driver's Ed class and maybe some 1:1 mentoring.

Best,
Casey

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:07 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:58 am
It's not at all bad form but I agree with Telefunkin that one is enough. :D
Thanks, Casey! My flight gets in to LAX about 11AM. I won't be late, nor will I be early. I will arrive precisely when I mean to...and hopefully remember to have prepared a bite to eat while standing in line.

And yes, I've already started doing my research on who will be likely first, second, third... choices for the mentor 1:1 sessions.

I'm anticipating the opportunity to thank you for the encouragement you offer on the forums, Mr. Hurowitz!

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:20 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question (first RR), where do I find a list of mentors to put on my dream sheet? I’m still getting to know who’s who but I’m already aware of some very decent people through this forum and Taxi TV. I don’t know who will be official mentors though. I’d be grateful for any of the seasoned Taxi members, staff, or associates to help me find my way. Looking forward to being there for the first time, Steve Rainbow

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:44 am

SteveR wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:20 am
Sorry if this is a dumb question (first RR), where do I find a list of mentors to put on my dream sheet? I’m still getting to know who’s who but I’m already aware of some very decent people through this forum and Taxi TV. I don’t know who will be official mentors though. I’d be grateful for any of the seasoned Taxi members, staff, or associates to help me find my way. Looking forward to being there for the first time, Steve Rainbow
This is from last year. It's fairly similar from year to year. The 2023 materials should be out soon.
https://www.taxi.com/taxi-road-rally/

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 am

Be prepared for rooms with A/C - something you can put on when it reaches refrigerator temperatures.
And, a pair of earplugs might come in handy. :? :shock: :o 8-) :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

PeteW

Post by PeteW » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:35 am

Thanks for the info, everyone, super helpful. This will be my first RR, looking forward to meeting you all.

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:40 am

Casey H wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:44 am
This is from last year. It's fairly similar from year to year. The 2023 materials should be out soon.
https://www.taxi.com/taxi-road-rally/
Thanks Casey. Looking forward to meeting everyone.