Edge, Gritty, Frenetic... a la Beastie Boys?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

devinwalker7

Edge, Gritty, Frenetic... a la Beastie Boys?

Post by devinwalker7 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm

I wrote this song "King of the Forest" for the listing below. Am I on the right track? Edge, Gritty, Frenetic... a la Beastie Boys? Mix suggestions are welcome as well as impressions of the mood, genre, style, or wheelhouse of this song. Thanks!!

https://www.taxi.com/devinwalker
Then click on "King of the Forest"

Here is the listing:
EDGY, GRITTY SONGS with Male Vocals are needed for an (up to) $24,000, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor Montage Placement in a TV Series. They’re on a mission to find a Mid-to-Up-Tempo Song that falls within the general stylistic ballpark of the following reference we got from our client:

“Sabotage” by Beastie Boys

NOTE: The Music Supervisor really likes the Beastie Boys' “Sabotage” as an example of what could work in this scene. They're not looking for clones, copies, or soundalikes, but they’d love to find something that captures the vibe, sound, and feel.

Other songs they referenced:

“Gamma Knife” by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

“Superbad” by Flux Pavilion & Doctor P

Quoting the Music Supervisor: "This montage sequence features two skeevy, knucklehead characters who go on a crazy meth binge (Note: Drug use in the sequence) and have a good time doing so. We're looking for high-energy, fun, frenetic songs that capture and enhance that mood."

It's notable that the references don't have a lot in common, so don’t look for a lot of commonality on a musical level. What they DO have in common is that they could all work well in a scene with a couple of meth heads! The first two refs have an undeniable edginess, and Superbad's lyric would be sort of tongue-in-cheek funny when playing while these two boneheads are partying.

They're not looking for great songs in the typical, "this could be a hit" sort of way. Instead, they seem to be hunting for songs that make you feel how sleazy, skeevy, and wired the two meth heads are in the scene. That's what the TAXI screener will be listening for, not how great your chorus is or how well your vocal is performed! If your song would enhance the debauchery portrayed in the scene, the screener may forward it, and hopefully the Music Supervisor will love it when he or she plays it with the video.

NOTE: The screener's feedback will likely NOT be on the order of, "Your chorus isn't big enough." It's more likely to be something like, "This doesn't sound or feel like it would work in this scene." The screener will not be judging the song itself so much as what the song can do for the scene. Please don’t send emails saying, “The screener only said my song didn’t work in the scene.”

Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe.

NOTE: If your song is selected, they will need a WAV file version of your Song and one of your Instrumental - but not yet! All you need to submit for now is the Full Song with vocals in the TAXI standard MP3 format, but please have a WAV version on hand and ready to send at a moment’s notice if you get a call or email from the Music Supervisor. If you don’t have the ability to get your Song and Instrumental in WAV format and in the Music Supervisor hands within an hour after being contacted, please don’t submit for this!

The sync fee we were quoted is $24,000. However, our experience tells us that the sync fee quoted for this placement is probably based on them licensing a song from a well-known act through a big publisher like Sony or Universal. We think the sync fee will likely be lower for an unknown, independent act. We would “guesstimate” that the range for an unknown artist’s song would be in the $2,500 - $5,000 range. It could go higher.

This a Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener handpicked by the Music Supervisor - Short critiques only. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 28th, 2019. TAXI #Y190428RR
[highlight][shadow]Devin[/shadow][/highlight][https://walkerlegacy.com/home][/BBvideo]

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Edge, Gritty, Frenetic... a la Beastie Boys?

Post by ttully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi devinWalker7,

First off...This is going to be an EXTREMELY HIGH BAR listing......
your track has Gotta be right up there with the references...if not better!!!

I hate to say it...but No...it is not even in the same ballpark as the examples.
It's a mashup of stuff that just doesn't work.
And then the very weird 2 octave lower Rush like chorus...really is out in left field.

I suggest listening carefully to the Beastie Boys and get a FEEL for the genre

I hate to be negative,
Just calling it like I see it, maybe someone else will say I am wrong!

Tim

devinwalker7

Post by devinwalker7 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Hey Tim,

Thanks for listening, and thanks for the honest input.
Devin
[highlight][shadow]Devin[/shadow][/highlight][https://walkerlegacy.com/home][/BBvideo]

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 am

Hey Devin,

I'll back up what Tim said here and add a few thoughts.

- Although your track has elements that sound 90s, I think the approach to the vocals in general kind of throws things off quite a bit.
- Beastie Boys excel at chaos that sounds good, if that makes sense. I think your track is lacking that element.
- The mix as a whole isn't very cohesive. (i.e. the vocals are too present and have way too much bottom end in comparison to the drums/bass)

Hope that helps some! Keep at it!

Andrew

devinwalker7

Post by devinwalker7 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I have posted a new version/new mix on my profile, and I have responded to your comments below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Although your track has elements that sound 90s, I think the approach to the vocals in general kind of throws things off quite a bit.
- Beastie Boys excel at chaos that sounds good, if that makes sense. I think your track is lacking that element.
- The mix as a whole isn't very cohesive. (i.e. the vocals are too present and have way too much bottom end in comparison to the drums/bass)
Hope that helps some! Keep at it!
Andrew
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response:
(90's elements...) The listing says the sup is NOT looking for clones or sound a-likes, nor is he looking for a 90's based/engineered song. He is looking for the Edge, Gritty vibe found in those songs. I don't want to try to attempt to make this sound like it was recorded/engineered in the 90's. But, your insight was correct, and helpful.

(Beastie Boys..chaos that sounds good) I totally agree. As for my song, I think there are some elements of that, but maybe not enough for this listing...fingers crossed. I did write this song specifically for this listing, but I was not really going for the chaos aspect, rather I was focused on the gritty, edgy vibe, which is in the title of the listing. It does not reference the chaos aspect in the listing. I was hoping to have a modern sound that is slightly reminiscent of the Beastie Boys, but more of a modern re-invention rather than trying to replicate what they did.

(The mix...isn't very cohesive.) Totally agree. It was after midnight, and I had just finished tracking vocals. It was really more of just setting some levels, and throwing on a few plugins, rather than mixing. Please check out the new mixes and let me know what you think. I have two versions under my profile:
https://www.taxi.com/devinwalker
1 King of the Forest (Devin Walker-Rap,Hip Hop song)
2 King of the Forest (Devin Walker+Melodic Chorus)
I did the two versions because I agree the melodic chorus is far away from Beastie Boys style. However, I love it! So I'm keeping it! :lol: But, I did a version without the melodic chorus, just in case that might pose as a distraction for the scene. I think the two versions have different flavors because of that aspect being changed. Let me know what you think. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions for mixing etc!! Because after all, it is again after midnight, and I feel much better about the way it sits now, but my ears are tired. I spent all day taking care of the kids, and trying to finish these mixes. I know from experience that every new day I wake up and listen to my stuff, I hear things a bit differently. Thanks again for your feedback. :)
Devin