Electronic Underscore Ears please.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mirwin33

Electronic Underscore Ears please.

Post by mirwin33 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:06 am

Hi everyone! So I'm coming up on my first year of Taxi membership and I'm in a bit of a slump. I had a song forwarded just a few months after joining, but have been swinging and missing since then. I'm gonna renew because I believe I can do better and I'm going to make a further commitment to learning the craft. I would really appreciate some advice on this cue. I put a little more time in than I probably should have, because I want this second year of taxi to be much better than my first. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks everyone for being so kind, you guys have been the best part of my first year!!
My song: https://soundcloud.com/matt-irwin-3/mat ... ark-netexe

Listing:
FUTURISTIC, ELECTRONIC UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a NON-Exclusive Music Library that’s supplying music directly to a specific TV show. This company has only run a few listings with TAXI so far, so chances are you’re not in their catalog yet! Please listen to the references they gave us to get an idea of the general wheelhouse of what they need:

Cliff Martinez – The Knick – Son of Placenta Previa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-zqWn2Hk3Y

“CSI Miami” (1:17-2:47): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb4slXcq37E

Cliff Martinez - The Knick - Placental Repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3RMzrZB2s4

Please submit futuristic-leaning, Sci-Fi-inspired, Electronic Instrumental Cues with one central motif and mood that runs from beginning to end. All Tempos are needed, but we think they’ll be looking for more Mid and Up Tempo material than slower pieces. That said, we’re sure they can use some slower pieces!

Cues with Tension, Anticipatory, Reflective, Haunting, Sinister, and Pensive moods could all potentially work for this request, but don’t stop there! They’re looking for a range of material, but probably not anything light, fun, or comedic. Cues for serious scenes are most likely what’s on the menu for this request.

Stick to material that’s right down the center lane, but with a little twist… something that’s a little fresher than what we would have heard in CSI Miami. But don’t go too far afield! Hybrids can work for this, as long as they have some futuristic components/aspects to them.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes long. Good edit points and Non-Faded/Buttoned/Stinger endings should work best. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE deal. Applicable sync fees will be split 50/50. You’ll get 100% of the Master rights and the Library will get 100% of the Publishing for any placements they generate. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Sunday, March 12th, 2017. TAXI #D170312FE

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Electronic Underscore Ears please.

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:23 am

I like your piece just fine but when I listened to the references it didn't sound enough like them to me.

I've had quite a few forwards and a library take similar cues off us so I know a little...though sometimes I get returns for stuff that's been Forwarded before which don't seem to make sense.

The Cliff Martinez stuff doesn't have that constant pad in background like yours and I think it's making it sound a bit blander. Maybe if you tried using those chords to trigger a more arpeggio type synth...all his stuff sound like proper modular analogue synths but you can dirty stuff up with guitar pedals or distortion plugins and maybe give it a little more in the percussive dept.

mirwin33

Post by mirwin33 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 am

Cool, I'll try that with the additional arpeggio and re-listen to the references to see if there are any other ways I can try to grab their vibe a little more. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

mirwin33

Post by mirwin33 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Ok, so I think I'm getting a little more on point here. What do you think of this one? Is there too much going on, or do you think that stylistically its close enough?
https://soundcloud.com/matt-irwin-3/space-race