ELECTRONICA TAKES DIVE-R-MAN

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

ELECTRONICA TAKES DIVE-R-MAN

Post by jay10music » Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 am

Vicky....B.....Guy's.....Guess u guy's were right ...Electro Elementgot returned.... Must not been hip enough...OUT OF (6) FORWARDS...None from Dispatch...That's (15) subs,no forwards...Well I'll just keep trying and listening to u guy's and try and make my pieces more up to date..Listening to your guy's stuff is the KEY !!!!http://www.taximusic.com/listings_popup ... tream=true

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: ELECTRONICA TAKES DIVE-R-MAN

Post by vicky » Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 am

Hey there...I started with my first electronica song late last year, and kept hearing from the forum and the critiques I received, that my drums are just "not happening".....I reworked the drums, and have gotten two songs forwarded....I would re-work the song you posted on another thread....To update your grooves use more breaks and effects....a thick sound (analogous to a band playing full out) is too be avoided IMO, but keeping it heavy is OK....also IMO electronica is closer to latin grooves, than anything else....the groove is a jig-saw puzzle, and instruments do not need to be together so much...let each instrument have it's own little place in the groove.....You'd be surprised how much can be carved out and still be the song...I hope I'm making sense...also, if you're going to use a sample make it unrecognizable....I'd re-work what you have...vtbp

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am

May 30, 2008, 9:34am, taxi wrote:Well I'll just keep trying and listening to u guy's and try and make my pieces more up to date..Listening to your guy's stuff is the KEY !!!!An open invite to post forwarded music for this listing is too much for your basic music egomaniac to resist... www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/SynthFactory.mp3Snuck by the listing:DANCE/ELECTRONICA/HARD HOUSE/JUNGLE/TECHNO SONGS and INSTRUMENTALS are wanted by an Independent Music Group and Producer who needs tracks for upcoming Film/TV projects. This producer is open to full songs with vocals as well as instrumentals, but all tracks need to be broadcast quality. He is only interested in uptempo/high energy tracks and the quality must be excellent. He will not be re-recording any material for this one. As noted at the top of the listing, he is interested in hearing a variety of styles and the primary criteria will be arrangement & quality. If you have vocals on your track, please be sure that there are no uncleared samples or profanity please! Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received by 4pm on Monday, May 26, 2008. TAXI #D080526EL

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 am

Dave sounds great !!!!! I try to get a sound like yours, but I can't get it yet.....here's mine....which is so very different.....but I'm happy to know my style is now getting to the point that I'm getting them through.....http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... &stream=1I still want to rework the drums again, even though it went thru....vtbp

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 am

First up DAVE......I can start to see what Vicky's talking about....None recognizable sounds...This is a good electronica track ...I like it...congrats...Vicky...I am going to do what you are saying...Re do the track...change the drums...Do some brakes....and up date the grooves... I seem to understand a little bit more each time u guy's give me some input...You know I haven't had a criyique in so long , I have no where to go but to u guy's for some guidance! I miss the critiques but it seems all my subs are no critiques from taxi listings... I ''ll rework this track and put it up soon...THANKS FOR THE HELP.. Jay

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 am

May 30, 2008, 10:14am, vicky wrote:Dave sounds great !!!!! I try to get a sound like yours, but I can't get it yet.....here's mine....which is so very different.....but I'm happy to know my style is now getting to the point that I'm getting them through.....http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... &stream=1I still want to rework the drums again, even though it went thru....vtbpVTBP gets 1000 points for CREATIVITY! Holy Cow... I'll have to admit, it never occurred to me to head in that direction. I don't know much about the Electronica/Jungle sub-genre but you may be charting new waters with a Electronica/Jungle/Experimental style. And... it's working. I liked both of those a lot but my wife had a funny look on her face the whole time I was playing #2. For Roadrunner422:My sounds aren't really very unique, maybe put together in my own unique way but I'm far from breaking new ground. BT is not rendered obsolete with this track. When HoraceJesse and I visited Taxi, one of the benefits was that we got some custom critiques in person from some of the screeners. The track I linked to in my previous post was one of the tracks I played (for one of the electronica screeners in this case). He looked like a skateboarder. Anyway, about 10 seconds into this he asked "Is this intended for film/tv or are you looking for some kind of record deal?". The reason he asked, he mentioned later, was that for film/tv it was pretty good, it set kind of an uptempo mood in a reasonable hip way but could also be "classified", both as a genre (uptempo electronica) and as "ala" various electronica artists and groups. But as a pitch for a record label, it didn't stand a chance (my paraphrase, not his words). It breaks no new ground, but since it's for film/tv that doesn't matter... as long as it's not "outdated".Speaking of which, my first electronica tracks, only a couple years ago, came back with critiques like "That's a good one Dave... what a kidder! We laughed our asses off. Now... quit goofing around and send us the real track."

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 pm

Sorry VICKY..It's saying invalid some crap and won't let me here your tracks!!!Is there anything I can do to here them......Jayroadrunner

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Dave thanks....I'm not even sure why I'm making pieces like this half the time....Roadrunner422I'm not sure why it isn't playing, you can try...BuntzzShift-tanewww.taxi.com/vickythebassplayerI realize these two are a little out there, but I did study the form of the ala's I was working with, and copy them almost exactly, so as to give it a thread of comfort....Also I had a thought for you...take your track and first save it and all the files under a different name, as to not have problems with the original....then start cutting out alot of the grooves in drastic places, like just beat 2 and 3...for a bar....and then fade two drum tracks against each other panning oppositely, and then go in the bass part and reverse some notes, and put effects of just a few notes, and then pitch-bend a little here and there....also have different sounding drum loops of the same loop, so the familiar beat has a distorted version, chorus, reverb, etc....and cross fade between them...hopefully this will give you a few ideas....The listing we're talking about is open to sub-genres; Most listings really need to have a genre nailed style-wise, and this is trickier to do IMO.good luck....vtbp

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Sat May 31, 2008 3:19 am

VICKY.....DAVE...I just put this together last night ...It's not finished cause I'd like your opiniansbefore I continue to see if I have absorbed some of the things u guy's have told me... LET ME KNOW......jay http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat May 31, 2008 8:52 am

May 31, 2008, 6:19am, taxi wrote: VICKY.....DAVE...I just put this together last night ...It's not finished cause I'd like your opiniansbefore I continue to see if I have absorbed some of the things u guy's have told me... LET ME KNOW......jay http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=trueI like two things here and I think that they're good, current sounding electronica elements. To start with, I like the first 20 seconds... raw, edgy rhythmic stuff going on, good electronica. You're establishing yourself as an "electronica bad boy". Then that all kind of dissapates as "Mr Sparkles - The Happy Singing Synth" comes in. Don't get me wrong... I like Mr Sparkles. Cool patch and I'd like to have a Mr Sparkles patch. But, in this track I might use him an octave down, maybe even add a little overdrive to his voice and keep everything in a minor key. Since the track is titled "No One's Safe" (a good descriptive title by the way), I'm expecting something dark, edgey, something like the music in CSI. But since you're in a major key, everything is too happy and the music doesn't match the visuals I get when reading the title. That's a potential problem when music supervisors are choosing tracks (by their title initially, how else?). For instrumental tracks, I think titles are extremely important. It's the first thing that sets the mood and since instrumental film/tv music is all about mood, you want to deliver on the mood you set with your title.The second part I like, around the 1:45 mark you're going back to the "edgy" sound that I think needs to be happening throughout the track. It creates tension and tension is what you need for a scene or mood where "no one is safe".Around the 1:54 mark there's a cool thing but, personally, I'd pull that and use it as the opening for another track. It's a good concept but it stops this song almost dead in its tracks because the feel is just too different. Electronica needs the build up and break down stuff but this is so different that it just pulls the whole foundation out from under the song. Keep it though and use it as a concept for another track, maybe your next track.Don't be like me though... the King Of Unfinished Ideas. I guess that's not all bad but I've got so many pieces and snippets that I need to develop it gets overwhelming sometimes.I've posted this from time to time but I'll post it again. It's a short snippet with 30 seconds of one of my first electroncia tracks and 30 seconds of a recent electronica track. Both are supposed to be tracks that create tension but the first one is just too "nice" to create much tension. The second on may not be all that great but it's definitely an improvement in "edgy, tension based electronica". The change didn't happen overnight but came about as a direct result of Taxi critiques and the good people in this group. Still... lots of work to do. I've graduated to a "pretend" electronica bad boy... not quite the real thing (yet). Dave