Emotional trailer-stye instrumental

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Emotional trailer-stye instrumental

Post by superblonde » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Here is an A-B form demo I wrote this week. Is it on the right track to continue expanding in form to fit this listing? Simple thumbs up or down feedback is ok.

"We're looking for Instrumentals with a building structure that starts subtle and grows into a big, epic resolution. That said, each Instrumental should have one consistent motif and always stay very underscore-friendly, ie: No prominent melodies at all. Rather, your arrangements should keep the pieces interesting by creating what we call 'sound substance' (little sound tinkering, layering, development within existing elements (e.g. percussion), etc). So, the development should happen through the arrangement and the production and NOT by adding additional harmonic elements. Style-wise, your tracks should be much like trailer Instrumentals based on the sections and build, but with a clear hybrid approach and not overly orchestral/classical in instrumentation (but also not getting synth-y). Building, epic themes with a cinematic feel and a hybrid approach are what we want to hear. Again, imagine 'Arise From Ashes', Rebirth, etc."

"Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that have an overall epic, emotional sound and feel. Your submissions should have polished production, high-quality virtual instruments and samples, and 3 "acts" that build to a climactic ending.
"

edit - removed my old draft tracks
Last edited by superblonde on Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Emotional trailer-stye instrumental

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:51 pm

superblonde wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:40 pm
Here is an A-B form demo I wrote this week. Is it on the right track to continue expanding in form to fit this listing? Simple thumbs up or down feedback is ok.
Sorry , thumbs down from me

The description is a bit confusing , I would suggest anyone take a list to the Ref Tracks before commenting https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yknzmslvyvv9 ... IsqQa?dl=0

These are not typical Trailer tracks, I would describe them more like Epic Emotional Pop/Rock

What you have served up here however sounds more like Muzak..there are some low quality instrument sounds and the laid back style is nothing like the references to me. There is nothing epic or emotional about the track at all. If I had to take a guess it doesn't even sound like you wrote it to this listing.

Mark

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:16 pm

True I didnt listen to the ref tracks when writing it. I went with the description: " 'Arise From Ashes', Rebirth, one consistent motif "

Now that I listened to the ref tracks, yeah the description does not seem to match the refs other than maybe form and overal dynamics.. 🧐
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:39 am

superblonde wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:16 pm
True I didnt listen to the ref tracks when writing it. I went with the description: " 'Arise From Ashes', Rebirth, one consistent motif "
You can't NOT listen to the reference tracks and expect to land anywhere close IMHO - The listing text is too open to interpretation..more of a supplement to tell us what THEY are focusing on in the refs

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:28 am

superblonde wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:40 pm
Simple thumbs up or down feedback is ok.

"We're looking for Instrumentals with a building structure that starts subtle and grows into a big, epic resolution."

"Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that have an overall epic, emotional sound and feel. Your submissions should have polished production, high-quality virtual instruments and samples, and 3 "acts" that build to a climactic ending."
Sorry, but on the above criteria alone my simple thumb is definitely down.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:30 am

Hi SB I liked everything, including the build, until 24 sec and then it went. I don't know, differently. Good start IMHO
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:44 am

The description also says in bold " and always stay very underscore-friendly, ie: No prominent melodies at all. "

Which is backwards considering both ref tracks have strong melodies from the start. The "glimmer of hope" track has a strong guitar melodic lead line which stands out from the track significantly in front, for the A section, then a B section where it goes away to be replaced with sparse piano melodic notes, then a short C section which doesnt have a melody. The "stronger than hope" track has a strong electric piano melodic lead arp which stands out, then this changes to slow & prominent violin melody in the A section, then the B section, the piano lead arp comes back but is buried by the tutti, then in the short C section where the piano lead arp comes back again in forefront. It almost seems like the description is trying to say, "write something that is only like the middle section of these two tracks, not like the A section of these".

Both refs use significant additional instruments to add texture in the middle section for growth, though the description says emphatically, " NOT by adding additional harmonic elements." Weird. It would be far simpler to just use correct music theory terms to describe the desired effect.

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:44 am
The description also says in bold " and always stay very underscore-friendly, ie: No prominent melodies at all. "

Which is backwards considering both ref tracks have strong melodies from the start. The "glimmer of hope" track has a strong guitar melodic lead line which stands out from the track significantly in front, for the A section, then a B section where it goes away to be replaced with sparse piano melodic notes, then a short C section which doesnt have a melody. The "stronger than hope" track has a strong electric piano melodic lead arp which stands out, then this changes to slow & prominent violin melody in the A section, then the B section, the piano lead arp comes back but is buried by the tutti, then in the short C section where the piano lead arp comes back again in forefront. It almost seems like the description is trying to say, "write something that is only like the middle section of these two tracks, not like the A section of these".

Both refs use significant additional instruments to add texture in the middle section for growth, though the description says emphatically, " NOT by adding additional harmonic elements." Weird. It would be far simpler to just use correct music theory terms to describe the desired effect.
IMO I wouldn't call the melodies in the refs "prominent" or "strong" at all. They're very basic melodic outlines; they ain't Brahms. They don't grab my ear's attention and I don't think they'd hold up on their own.
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:18 pm

mwb2 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm
IMO I wouldn't call the melodies in the refs "prominent" or "strong" at all. They're very basic melodic outlines; they ain't Brahms. They don't grab my ear's attention and I don't think they'd hold up on their own.
No I agree they just kind 'sit in' and keep time

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:53 pm

edit - to not confuse anyone with my typed up notes from several livestreams, i've removed it
Last edited by superblonde on Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.