Committed Musician

Emotionally uplifting piano/orchestral

Post by irthlingz » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:26 am

How can we improve this? Thanks!

https://www.taxi.com/members/pgveCRHTTZ ... n-the-wing

===
Michael & Sharon
===

EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING ORCHESTRAL & PIANO INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Licensing Company that's secured tons of great placements with Major Network TV Shows, Films, Commercials, and Video Games. This Company has signed many TAXI members over many years and has garnered lots of placements for them!

This Company is searching for Instrumentals that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Far Away" by Elena Fallwell ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjP58Om3PQM )

"Awatere" by Ensemble Rivr Dane ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDhKMb06Itc )

"Just a Little Hope" by Ari Goldstein ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU7hbcuqev4 )

Please submit top-tier Orchestral and Piano Instrumentals that evoke an overall uplifting vibe and sound. Expressive melodies, excellent arrangements, and top-notch musicianship are all musts for this request. Your instrumentation should be generally similar to the style of the references and focus on piano and strings. Your production should be polished, and if you plan to use any virtual instruments, please be sure they are high-quality and sound like the real deal.

TAXI Tip: We suggest trying to keep your submissions on the simpler side, melodically. Your job is more about establishing an uplifting mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take, and have non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please send as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, April 28th, 2022. TAXI # S220428PS

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Emotionally uplifting piano/orchestral

Post by jlopez » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:23 pm

Hi - I am pitching for the same listing so good luck to both of us..... I really liked the mood and instrumentation of your piece. I felt that it could have built a bit more movement as it seems to stay in place for a bit. If is always as struggle for me to try and find the right balance between melodic development and staying out of the way since there will not doubt be narrative over the music. You might try to add a tiny bit both melodic development ( Taxi calls it Arc) toward the end. Saying that I am not an expert and I (as you seen from my post) am still learning - others more experienced composers most likely could provide additional feedback. I really like the mood, instruments and the mix - Good job!!!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 pm

The strings have a tinny, almost annoying sound to them. I couldn't get past that. You have some good ideas here. The listing asked for expressive melodies which you can readily hear in the first reference track. You have more background-ish style strings, probably not enough on the melodic side.

I suggest you listen carefully to the first reference track. Start with a continuous piano chord/riff and put some solo violin or viola with an obvious melody on top of that. Try to get that right before even attempting to build the rest- get 40 seconds or so down to see if you are in the game.

Disclaimer: I'm not a cue guy.

:D Casey

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:41 pm

Thank you, Whipple & Casey. Looking into more melodic development!

As well as the other issues raised ...

===
Michael & Sharon

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:59 am

The references all have melody and structure, with complementary instruments that are arranged to support the lead instrument. This leaves no doubt that they were thoughtfully composed as pieces of music. By comparison, 'Hearts On The Wing' is missing a sense of melody, structure and through-composition, and is more like an assembly of sound clips that happen to be in the same key. I also agree with comments made about the sound quality, but I believe the lack of composition is the main issue.

The melodies and structures in the references are simple, but together with the instrumentation they work to create something beautiful that conveys emotion. Its not necessarily easy to achieve but I believe its what is required to put a tick in the 'forward' box. Therefore, my suggestion would be to put the energy into composition rather than assembly, perhaps even make up some simple tunes that you can whistle or hum into a hand-held recorder, then worry about the sounds and complementary instrumentation only when it comes to recreating the composition in your DAW. Think simple tunes, simple structure, simple instrumentation, nice sound, single emotion, job done :). Good luck.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:01 am

Just to add to Graham and my suggestions. Don't kitchen sink! Just get the basics down even if you don't finish the track for a submission. And making it melodic is like writing a song in many ways, or at least part of one.

This example is not to be taken literally as it doesn't match the style of the listing and the sounds might not be the best. But here I start with piano chords and then have strings put a random melody on top of that. https://s.disco.ac/yyvmmwylwfku

:D Casey

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:52 am

Thank you, Graham and Casey. We really appreciate your help. It may be for a future listing, but we will attempt to implement this (not-always-easy-to-implement) melodic simplicity!

===
Michael & Sharon