Equipment question.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Equipment question.

Post by mojobone » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Ah, the mighty MMT-8; only cool thing about it was the eight buttons on top that (sometimes) worked as Track mutes... I gotta say....maybe if you're really fast with the Fantom's internal sequencer, you could get away with using a sampling engine in standalone mode at first....but the advantage of being able to see nearly all of your sequenced tracks at once and having an integrated system for adding effects to samples from different libraries, some with different engines, the added flexibility of higher MIDI track counts-at some point you gotta learn a DAW. Next thing you know you're buying tube mics and scouring flea markets for exotic percussion instruments-a slippery slope...
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Eventually you'll want one of these too!!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

dommydom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dommydom » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Dec 15, 2008, 10:36pm, mazz wrote:Eventually you'll want one of these too!! I'm picking up one of them this afternoon!

Post by 151 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

Dec 15, 2008, 10:36pm, mazz wrote:Eventually you'll want one of these too!! Screw it. This looks easier to use.

mewman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mewman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Hey 151, I wouldn't freak out about a DAW. I invested in an imac running Logic and the learning curve was not as bad as I imagined. I was using a Brother PDC 100 to sequence stuff in my Roland U220 and just lost it when I got my new setup. It is so easy to copy tracks, sequence and edit complicated parts. Take the plunge. You won't regret it.Mewman

Post by 151 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:55 pm

So I'm looking at a minimum of around $1000 or more just to even be able to get started after checking around.Well, guess I'm not doing orchestral music then.haha.dammit.

Post by 151 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:11 pm

I have ACID 5.0 it says it supports virtual instruments. Will that work ok?

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:20 pm

If Acid supports VST instruments it should work.(disclaimer: I don't use ACID)Another option to get some orchestral instruments and a bunch of other instruments is Kontakt 3.The orchestra sounds are from Vienna, there are also some world instruments and band (sax, brass, drums etc.) Decent piano sounds.I use this in addition to East West Gold and soon to be Project Sam Symphobia.Enjoy this new journey.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

Post by 151 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes I just read where it says that it supports VST and virtual instruments, so I should be ok? That would cut off abour 300-400 bucks right there if I already have a decent DAW.

Post by 151 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 pm

"Acid 5 features improved support for VST effects and virtual instruments. With native support, you can now add these effects and instruments and automate the parameters for creating entirely new sounds. Acid Pro 5 even throws in some free VSTi soft synths from Native Instruments called Xpress Keyboards. They are fun to noodle around with, and for many they will be a great introduction to the world of virtual instruments.Once you progress, you will see there are many other virtual instrument packages available out there. (Check out some of these great VSTi ones: SampleTank, Stormdrum, MachFive, Absynth, and Atmosphere, among many others.) Instead of working with WAV loops, you may begin to incorporate virtual sounds into your mixes. Virtual instruments have endless possibilities, and while they are not as drag-and-drop as loops (plus an inexpensive MIDI keyboard is handy to play them), you will be able to give your productions a much more expansive edge with scoring."I don't know if using something like ACID makes me an inferior musician, but it's FREE, and I already have it. haha