Equipment question.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Equipment question.

Post by 151 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 am

I want to get back into doing more orchestral tracks for some of the listings that ask for them. I haven't really done a lot of it lately, I've been doing a lot of jazz/blues/R&B type stuff. I'm wondering if anyone here does orchestral music and what has the best available sounds for programming? I've used Roland my entire life and they have a great string expansion card for the Fantom, but not a very good wind, percussion, etc. card. I wrote a score for an old project and I used the JV series cards and I thought it sounded awesome back then. Here's a link to it:http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... &T=3313Now when I listen to it, it sounds cheap and not as realistic to me as it once did. I guess my question is, are there good orchestral sound libraries or expansion cards available that anyone has used? I want to submit the highest quality stuff that I can.Thanks again for everyone's kindness and help on this site. I hope to be here for a long time.

Re: Equipment question.

Post by 151 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:56 am

Sounds like a Casio or some crap you would get for your kids. Haha.So, yeah...I need to upgrade.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:03 am

I don't do orchestral, but the general consensus from all of the orchestral guys seems to be that East West Symphonic gold is where its at. They have a more expensive version called platinum but Gold should get the job done just fine.-Steve

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 am

Steve is right. If you seriously want to compete with the other orchestral guys here you will need a library like EWSO Gold or better. There are other vendors such as Vienna and Kirk Hunter as well and they are also worth checking out.I'll let Matto, Dave, or Mazz take it from here on recommendations.Best,Cisko

Post by 151 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:24 am

Ok, I'm going to East West website right now to check it out. Thanks.

Post by 151 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:42 am

Holy crap. I checked out the Vienna sounds. Man, I can't believe how things have progressed since I did orchestral music years ago. I don't even know how to use the sounds. I've never used a software sampler before. I have always programmed everything on board my FantomX7 or what ever board I had at the time. What the heck is the best sampler? What program do I use?I don't mean to sound like an idiot, I just honestly don't even know what to get and how to use it.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:55 am

Dec 11, 2008, 12:42pm, 151 wrote:Holy crap. I checked out the Vienna sounds. Man, I can't believe how things have progressed since I did orchestral music years ago. I don't even know how to use the sounds. I've never used a software sampler before. I have always programmed everything on board my FantomX7 or what ever board I had at the time. What the heck is the best sampler? What program do I use?I don't mean to sound like an idiot, I just honestly don't even know what to get and how to use it.I use the EWQL stuff, so does Mazz, Matto, crs7string, Hummingbird. We're not paid EWQL moles... really. From my viewpoint, the quality/cost thing, the Gold package can't be beat and Silver would server the purpose of almost all but dedicated orchestral composers. Plus, EWQL is really set up for that "Hollywood" sound right out of the box. No special software needed... the whole thing is a self-contained virtual instrument.Necessary items to run that stuff...1. A good computer2. A DAW (like Cubase, Sonar, etc)3. EWQL itselfStepping back a little... the decision to upgrade is based on what kind of music you're doing mostly. Brindabella here on the forum started very simply... a good, quality virtual piano instrument. She ended up getting a library deal with a solo piano piece. That's a good starting foundation for her and she will build on that. So maybe tell us a little about what kind of music you plan on doing along with a potential budget. A couple hundred? Couple thousand? A big EWQL Gold or Vienna orchestral package may be overkill on a low budget if other instruments are also needed.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Dec 11, 2008, 12:42pm, 151 wrote:Holy crap. I checked out the Vienna sounds. Man, I can't believe how things have progressed since I did orchestral music years ago. I don't even know how to use the sounds. I've never used a software sampler before. I have always programmed everything on board my FantomX7 or what ever board I had at the time. What the heck is the best sampler? What program do I use?I don't mean to sound like an idiot, I just honestly don't even know what to get and how to use it.Yeah software is really where its at, especially for realism. The hardware boards just can't keep up IMO. In my experience software is also a lot quicker too, which is important if you are doing music library work.Dave's post is right on...good computer, good DAW, EWQL...you're ready to go. -Steve

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Dec 11, 2008, 12:42pm, 151 wrote:Holy crap. I checked out the Vienna sounds. Man, I can't believe how things have progressed since I did orchestral music years ago. I don't even know how to use the sounds. I've never used a software sampler before. I have always programmed everything on board my FantomX7 or what ever board I had at the time. What the heck is the best sampler? What program do I use?I don't mean to sound like an idiot, I just honestly don't even know what to get and how to use it.I started with EWQLSO Silver, then slowly upgraded to Gold, partially for financial concerns... but I'm glad I did because it gave me time to work with the sounds & midi, etc. I now have all the components (EWQLSO Silver, Silver Pro, Gold, Gold Pro) that comprise the Silver Bundle and the Gold Bundle.I believe Matt posted a while back that he uses certain instruments in Vienna and certain instruments in Gold as they sound more authentic.I still find, even with the good quality sounds, that making them sound as though they are being played by a human, as well as thinking about what that instrument would typically play & composing effectively... is also a big part of using any program.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Vienna and EW really have two different sounding libraries. I primarily use East West and fill in with other libraries where I feel that EW may need some doubling or another library has a slight edge on a particular aspect. But East West by itself (Gold or above) is very strong.I chose East West because it has the concert hall sampled in to the releases of the samples. It's pretty much "Hollywood in a box" with a nice big fat sound. With Vienna, the samples are much drier and to get the same effect as East West, you need a really good reverb, which adds to the budgetary considerations.You can't go wrong with either but be prepared to spend a TON of time learning how to make the thing sit up and speak for you!Cheers!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!