Exclusive?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

samonbass
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Exclusive?

Post by samonbass » Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 am

Hey everyone, I signed a contract for some songs a couple of months back, now (unfortunately ) another company wants one of the songs, just checkin that this contract (the first one) is exclusive or non exclusive. I'm pretty certain it means that its exclusive, but thought I'd check with the experts first.1.1 Rights Expressly Reserved to Composer. Composer reserves the right to continue tomarket and exploit the original Compositions and Master Recordings in any manner and issuelicenses directly to any end user without the consent of Publisher. With respect to theCompositions and Master Recordings that are the subject of this Agreement, Composer isexpressly prohibited from working directly or indirectly with any other production music librarycompany; music song plugger and/or music consultant who licenses musical compositionsdirectly or indirectly to a third party, post production facility, or editing facility.Thanks guys,Sam.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Exclusive?

Post by gitarrero » Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 am

the paragraph you've posted say it pretty much clearly: you can't give the same compositions to other pubishers, agents etc. - so NO, you can't give the same song to anther publishing company.besides that I'd strongly suggest to not sign the same song to diffrent publishers at the same time - especially not if all publishers have "the world" (..or even "the universe") specified as the territory - which is the case in most library-deals.keep in mind that I'm NOT a music laywer, this is my personal opinion based on my experiences and philosophy.hth,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

samonbass
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by samonbass » Thu May 15, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks, just what I thought, just making absolutely sure as I dont want to stuff anyone around.Thanks.Sam.

mer
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mer » Fri May 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Good information on this topic. That paragraph also seems to be saying that you COULD license the same song (composition and master recording) directly to an end-user, like a company wanting to use it for a spot on radio, or anyone else who is not a "publisher", am I reading that correctly? Thanks!--Mer

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 pm

May 16, 2008, 3:07pm, mer wrote:Good information on this topic. That paragraph also seems to be saying that you COULD license the same song (composition and master recording) directly to an end-user, like a company wanting to use it for a spot on radio, or anyone else who is not a "publisher", am I reading that correctly? Thanks!--Meras far as the mentioned paragraph goes, yes. but keep in mind to be sure you'd better check the whole contract, and not just one paragraph. you always need to know the context.
production, composition & stringed instruments