external pitch bend for Nord Electro 6D 61 key

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

external pitch bend for Nord Electro 6D 61 key

Post by CarlParadise » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:00 pm

Has anyone here seen or used a pedal or other controller (not wind please) that can substitute for a pitch bend wheel on a synthesizer keyboard?

I bought a Nord Electro 6D 61 key keyboard, which is great but lacks pitch & mod wheels.

The modulation I can handle with an expression pedal, at least good enough for now.

But for pitch bend, I need an audio device or better a MIDI device that does a momentary wheel or something that is spring loaded and returns to zero (no bend).

I am looking to only gig with the one kbd, but not having pitch bend is limiting for some tunes where I want to wiggle a note 1 or 2 semitones.

There is a device from Russia (with love) called the Atemp MC1 but hard to acquire right now.

Of course if I had a second keyboard, problem solved. My Yamaha S30 works great but I'm avoiding carrying a double stand & kbd etc.
https://www.taxi.com/members/carlparadise

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Fender XII Alternate Reality 12 string electric
Many other guitars

CarlParadise
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: external pitch bend for Nord Electro 6D 61 key

Post by CarlParadise » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:53 am

Some bits of news on this issue:

- I tried an AKAI Mini Mk3 over USB MIDI via a powered MIDI box to get to the Nord 5 pin MIDI In, and the connection worked as expected. But the joystick experience on that AKAI unit was not good enough. This would have saved me lugging two keyboards and the double rack.

- The Atemp MC1 is available again so I just ordered it from the vendor. About $170 including shipping to California and PayPal fee.

https://atemp.ru/en/products/atemp_mc1.html

Once I get that, depending on the gig I might be able to skip a second keyboard.

- Right before ordering that, I ordered a Novation MiniNova which has pitch and mod wheels, which I need for gigs coming up. The Nord Electro 6D is nearly perfect for organ and piano sounds, and layering a pad sound. But it's not a synth lead machine. Still a good value. The MiniNova should also be able to drive the Nord via 5 pin MIDI out, to use the bend and mod effects on those sounds.

I'll post updates in a few weeks.
https://www.taxi.com/members/carlparadise

Logic Pro X
Nord Electro 6D 61 key
AKAI Mini keyboard
Yamaha keyboards
Fender PJ bass
Fender XII Alternate Reality 12 string electric
Many other guitars

richardferrym

Re: external pitch bend for Nord Electro 6D 61 key

Post by richardferrym » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:48 pm

Some bits of news on this issue:

- I tried an AKAI Mini Mk3 over USB MIDI via a powered MIDI box to get to the Nord 5 pin MIDI In, and the connection worked as expected. But the joystick experience on that AKAI unit was not good enough. This would have saved me lugging two keyboards and the double rack.

- The Atemp MC1 is available again so I just ordered it from the vendor. About $170 including shipping to California and PayPal fee.

Once I get that, depending on the gig I might be able to skip a second keyboard.

- Right before ordering that google account manager apk, I ordered a Novation MiniNova which has pitch and mod wheels, which I need for gigs coming up. The Nord Electro 6D is nearly perfect for organ and piano sounds, and layering a pad sound. But it's not a synth lead machine. Still a good value. The MiniNova should also be able to drive the Nord via 5 pin MIDI out, to use the bend and mod effects on those sounds.

I'll post updates in a few weeks.
any update about this? is it good value to use AKAI Mini Mk3 over USB MIDI?