Extra Guitar (ring) String Noise - How to eliminate?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Extra Guitar (ring) String Noise - How to eliminate?

Post by BradGray » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Hey Passengers!

I've recorded a cool guitar riff, for a cue I'm working on, and I love the tone, feel and groove of it.

However, when recording with the gain cranked, I did not realize I had also captured the open strings resonating at the same time. Normally, you don't hear it when riffing, but with the gain and master UP, and the way I'm letting it sustain I'm getting something akin to the following:

Riff (RING) Riff (RING) Riff (RING). The ring is somewhat audible after the last note of the riff.

It's not super loud, but I can hear it.

Any tips or tricks that I could use to minimize the ring - vs recording the part all over again?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Extra Guitar (ring) String Noise - How to eliminate?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Melodyne can sometimes be useful for removing unwanted noises if you have it.

Video here of it being used on an acoustic gives the general idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvgM5AX3qQ

Izotope RX Spectral De-Noise is another option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4QjOaKqP4A

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:29 pm

De noise plugins if you have them.
Automated EQ.
Play it again Sam.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Appreciate the links - I will have to check them out, and then learn how to use them.

I think in the one use case I have for the cue, it will likely be faster to fix the cue (or re-record the part), but I will look at picking that up for future recordings. Looks like some powerful time saving tools

Cheers,
Brad
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Video here of it being used on an acoustic gives the general idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvgM5AX3qQ

Izotope RX Spectral De-Noise is another option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4QjOaKqP4A

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks lesmac,

I experimented with several options; including the eq. Unfortunately the other strings were resonating at some key frequencies, that would have killed the sound. I could automate the change back and forth, but it too would have been more time consuming than to just do the part over again.

I did find a solution, for a reasonable amount of effort. Not perfect, but I think workable.

1) I gated the offending frequencies, tried experimenting as using the snare as a side-chain for a trigger (as it rings on the 2 and 4), but in the end found a setting that was acceptable as it took out about 75% of the extra ring.

2) I introduced a clean rhythm part (shots) that mask the remainder of the frequencies.

Sooo I think I made it more complicated in the end, but for this cue it added a bit more depth.

The learning I had from it was interesting. I was very focused on laying down an articulate guitar part, and did not hear the extra ring, when playing to the track. With the high gain, and the guitar being a les paul, it had a natural ring, even though I was not hitting the strings that were resonating. A small piece of foam on the bottom three strings would have prevented it. I did try a palm muted version of the same riff, but it just did not have the same tone.

Amazing what we can learn in our little project studios.

Cheers,
Brad
lesmac wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:29 pm
De noise plugins if you have them.
Automated EQ.
Play it again Sam.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:05 am

I wasn’t sure exactly what the source of your ringing was—it would help maybe to hear it. I had a problem trying to record any high gain guitar tone with stock Logic plug-ins. I would get a screech every time I would mute the strings as the noise gate kicked in. Kinda counterproductive. I could never get it sorted out so I went to 3rd party plug-ins and didn’t have that issue anymore.

I was going to suggest something I’ve been doing all my life when I need an articulate high gain tone— whether lead or rhythm— and that’s just to tie a sock somewhat firmly (but not too tightly that it acts as a capo) around the neck and strings somewhere between the nut and the first fret. It really mutes all unwanted noise— provided you’re not needing to play open strings. I think they make dedicated accessories now that do the same thing but a sock works as good as anything.

I’ve seen videos of some of the top guitar shredders in the studio having someone stand beside them and put an extra hand over the open strings to mute them while they’re tracking difficult solos. I could swear I saw Marty Friedman doing this(I think it’s because of the unorthodox position of his picking hand— doesn’t give him the best angle to mute with his right hand).

Also another thing to consider— last year I recorded a good guitar lick that I just couldn’t play again the same if I had to. Unfortunately it had a lot of noise in between the notes. I wasn’t sure if the pickups in that guitar were somewhat microphonic and I was monitoring it through speakers— or it was a possibly that I carelessly had left a microphone plugged into one of the inputs on my interface— and the monitor was feeding into a hot mic, and going back into the DAW. This can sometimes happen when you’re a one man band, frantically switching between instruments.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks Ted,

Usually I don't have the gain cranked up so high, so it's the first time I ran into the issue. I was going direct in from a Hughes & Kettner Tubemesiter amp, paired up with a Les Paul w/ Humbuckers, it certainly had a hot signal. Perhaps it was also the proximity of where I was sitting (about 2 feet) in front of my monitors, that may have caused a sympathetic ring as the guitar was pointed at the speakers.

I can see a few easy workarounds if I go to record like this again - use a sock, a small piece of foam, can dampen the strings. Usually my palm rests on all the strings to mute, but I liked the open sound of not doing so...but missed the potential of the ring. =)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:04 am

BradGray wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 pm
use a sock, a small piece of foam, can dampen the strings.
Those cheap foam ear plugs with a slit cut into them

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:42 am

Reduce the high frequencies on your amp, or reduce the amount of any compression you are using, or increase its release time.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:58 am

Excellent! Why have I been ignoring this for so long? De-essing can sometimes be all that's needed for string squeaks but its not much trouble to pop the offending sections into Melodyne then back out.