Failure and success

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Re: Failure and success

Post by bakerstreet » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:03 pm

OK, I'm so grateful for all the comments. I'd like to particularly answer Matt's comments. I totally believe your comments are spot on, and further more I'm not stupid enough to think, "Yes but I'll do better" These comments from all of you are honest, direct and straight to the point of the question. Thank you all so much.

It is so cool that we can discuss this here. I have a full-time business, like Matt, I'm lucky enough that it doesn't take all my time. (going back to your college lecturer days I mean) I have 30 hours per week for music, my other business of 19 years takes 30 hours also but In the early days I worked around 14-16 hours per day. Now I do about a 6 hour day and can take time off pretty much when I please. I'm not saying this to brag, I'm just saying that I am extremely fortunate that after 19 years of grit and slog, my day job, isn't that all consuming anymore. So I can spend 30 hours a week working on what I love. I am truly lucky in that respect.

I agree it will be closer to 5 years, realistically, from what everyone says, before my music income, passes my other business income. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a wealthy man, but I get by on less hours these days because I have staff. Work-life balance is vital as I'm now 52. I realise how valuable the time we have is. I'm not shy to learn, nor take advice. Most of all I understand this is a business, with all the frustrations, let downs, highs and lows, that frankly make life interesting. (I'm not so upbeat when my system crashes,) but I am used to hard work. So perhaps, when I said full-time, I should have said working 30 hours per week and making a reasonable time/reward rate. I did think two years from a track forwarded is reasonable but now see that it often won't pay ever, so we need to keep submitting, but also as someone else said, a track placed in the US can take 2 years to pay-out in the UK (I'm near London) So 5 years could even be optimistic - ha, what a crazy business to get into :D and yet I'm still keen. It wouldn't bother me if it took 10 years, but I hope consistency, professionalism, and hard work will pay off. I hope to see some of you in the WestInn bar this year to chat about this more. Right now though, I'm going to stop talking and just get on with the next track. Seriously everyone, thank you so much.
Paul Howes (aka Reg) - Don't ask, unless we are at the bar.

"The greatest art in the world is the art of story telling" - Cecil B DeMille

I hope you music tells a story.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 pm

This was fantastic! I can admit I wasted many years when I first joined taxi, mainly do to my pride Music degree the works , you know I thought my music was top notch. Boy did i have a rude awakening . This article was great it puts everything into perspective.
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

roguenoisemachine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roguenoisemachine » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:04 pm
Getting to full-time status in three years is a pretty lofty - and dare I say it - unattainable goal. Not because the quality, or the quantity, or the workload isn't there.... but simply due to the time it takes the process to work. You're going to run into delays in every facet of this business, until you get through the initial waiting period and can have all the "early years" stuff behind you. Here's a quick list of all the delays you have to look forward to, in chronological order:
Great post and helpful to all of us lurkers. Thanks for taking the time!

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello Paul (aka Reg) ,

Hope to talk to ya at the Westin bar and find out why "Reg" ;) .

Seriously what Matt and others have said is on target. You've got to pump a lot of music into the system before you can expect a decent ROI. And I mean a lot of music. And it's got to be great music that happens to be what is needed at the moment by a particular company. It sure is a gamble but I can't think of anything else I'd rather do.

Also never back away from cold calling libraries. In between submitting to Taxi listings there are a bunch of companies you can submit to online and I've signed songs with many of them. I've had only a few placements so far with those libraries but I just started producing in '17. Just getting started!
Just make sure you're sending those libraries something in their wheelhouse. The way I found out about which particular libraries to cold call? The Road Rally.

The Road Rally will inject so much knowledge via the classes, and then you'll learn so much more by talking with other members and pros at the bar or lobby or in the elevator. This will be my 5th Rally and I'm looking forward to it as much as my first.
Best of luck and keep writing! John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Post by bakerstreet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am

Thank you John, I will see you in the bar.
Paul Howes (aka Reg) - Don't ask, unless we are at the bar.

"The greatest art in the world is the art of story telling" - Cecil B DeMille

I hope you music tells a story.