FAV Current Pop Songs?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: FAV Current Pop Songs?

Post by melodymessiah » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:55 pm

"cake by the ocean" is my favorite right now. by the way, i wonder how many forum members who's into straight chart pop. not a lot it seems. perhaps we should start out own group :P

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:53 pm

My daughter plays Selena Gomez' "Same old love" all the time, and I'm so sick of it!!
I prefer "All about that bass" with Megan Traynor and "Shake it off" with Taylor Swift.
Ceo of my own life

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:35 pm

melodymessiah wrote:"cake by the ocean" is my favorite right now. by the way, i wonder how many forum members who's into straight chart pop. not a lot it seems. perhaps we should start out own group :P
There's only a handful of people here; a lot of them seem to be more dated in their styles (not that this is bad; most of the cues listed aren't "write a hit pop song"). I'd assume most people here LIKE chart pop some, but they don't seem to be engrossed with it; again I don't blame them. If I'm wrong though, I'll stand corrected. I'm no veteran here.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Kolstad wrote:My daughter plays Selena Gomez' "Same old love" all the time, and I'm so sick of it!!
I prefer "All about that bass" with Megan Traynor and "Shake it off" with Taylor Swift.
All About That Bass was a breakout hit for a reason; and I admire it as a song. Megan hasn't done any other solo stuff since that that was different enough to be impressive to me; but I mean it sold. Megan was a "known" artist after that first song.

Same Old Love was a well-done song in my opinion. I remembered liking it the moment I first heard it. I didn't know who it was or anything; it was just catchy and simple enough to be an ear-worm. It is repetitive, though; I can see why you find it annoying lol.

Shake it Off was weird cause I didn't like it the first time, but eventually did. And I normally HATE swift. Her phrasing is cringe-worthy to me.

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:43 am

Music is of course entirely subjective but I'd have to disagree completely with Swift's lyrical phrasing being 'cringe worthy'. I'd say its damn lucrative. Granted some of her earlier bubblegum country/pop boy meets girl type lyrics were a bit painful to say the least but her recent work with Max Martin has really led to some sophisticated and clever lyrics. IMHO 'Blank Space' is a modern - this being the most operative part of the statement! - lyrical masterpiece crafted from some clever writing matched with a top notch modern dark pop production.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:51 pm

NoizeeBhoy wrote:Music is of course entirely subjective but I'd have to disagree completely with Swift's lyrical phrasing being 'cringe worthy'. I'd say its damn lucrative. Granted some of her earlier bubblegum country/pop boy meets girl type lyrics were a bit painful to say the least but her recent work with Max Martin has really led to some sophisticated and clever lyrics. IMHO 'Blank Space' is a modern - this being the most operative part of the statement! - lyrical masterpiece crafted from some clever writing matched with a top notch modern dark pop production.
You Belong with Me was great IMO; just catchy and it comes together perfectly. Blank Space was a great song, and the phrasing in that one was good; the hook was done perfectly; But something about her lyrics bug me as a listener. That's a bit more of a personal thing though, I guess.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:43 am

If we're gonna start in on Taylor Swift, we're gonna need another thread. She's not a star because of any great singing ability, and "You Belong With Me-He-he" Is the classic example of her cringeworthy phrasing. Relatable songs are her stock in trade, or at least they were before she went pop. Not begrudging any of her success, here; Taylor is a unicorn in how she built and maintains her audience, and there's a whole lot more to pop stardom than just the singing. In fact, few superstar performers even actually sing at their shows, anymore.
Last edited by mojobone on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:12 am

"cringeworthy phrasing"

According to wiki;
The single was certified 6× Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The song is one of the best-selling singles worldwide, with worldwide sales of more than 5.1 million units (according to the IFPI).

Wish I had that problem. :D

Good thread by the way, Ive enjoyed the listens.

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:04 pm

I can't stop listening to Twenty One Pilots. "Ride" is my fav. I didn't care for "Stressed Out" when I initially heard it, but the video reminded me of my group of friends in high school. When I listened more closely to the lyrics I was impressed. There album Blurryface is amazing. The mainstream music industry doesn't often allow outside-the-box creativity and I'm getting too old to keep up with good music so I'm glad they were able to break through.

ps The lyrics to "Lane Boy" really hit home as a musician trying to make a living within the music industry. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/twentyon ... neboy.html

"Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless"

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:27 pm

themichaelscott wrote:I can't stop listening to Twenty One Pilots. "Ride" is my fav. I didn't care for "Stressed Out" when I initially heard it, but the video reminded me of my group of friends in high school. When I listened more closely to the lyrics I was impressed. There album Blurryface is amazing. The mainstream music industry doesn't often allow outside-the-box creativity and I'm getting too old to keep up with good music so I'm glad they were able to break through.

ps The lyrics to "Lane Boy" really hit home as a musician trying to make a living within the music industry. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/twentyon ... neboy.html

"Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless"
I love Stressed Out; I don't normally listen to the over-played pop songs all the way through, but THAT one I actually CAN. Its structure keeps it interesting. They got other interesting ones too.