Favorite Movies or TV shows to learn styles?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Favorite Movies or TV shows to learn styles?

Post by BrianSteel » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Been watching movies I can find on crappy Roku because my internet provider wants me to rent The Return of the Pink Panther. Can you believe it? I pay them so much money for garbage but have to pay even more for a movie worthy of my subscription. I'm in NYC.

Favorite movies to learn styles/genres: That's what I'm asking for before the lights go out here.
Add favorite TV shows.

The problem a lot of the folks trying to score & score is that they are out of touch. I was out of touch. Now I am not out of touch. So I am hoping you can help me even further cause I'm lazy. (not really, this is grueling work). Thank you.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Favorite Movies or TV shows to learn styles?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:41 am

Mr Robot

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:46 am

If someone is looking to learn about cues, "reality" shows like Keeping Up With The Kardashians, as painful as that is to watch, are great. Even though the series is done, all 20 seasons are available on Hulu. Also, shows like Catfish (MTV) which is still on. Lots of other reality shows.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:46 am
If someone is looking to learn about cues, "reality" shows like Keeping Up With The Kardashians, as painful as that is to watch, are great. Even though the series is done, all 20 seasons are available on Hulu. Also, shows like Catfish (MTV) which is still on. Lots of other reality shows.
Gee Wiz, Mr Casey H, I don't like the Kardarshians, it's way too painful. That's out. Never heard of Catfish. On MTV I can guess. plhatt. I''ll take a look. Surprisingly the Baywatch with the new cast had some good music for people like us. LOL!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:09 am

BrianSteel wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:25 pm
The problem a lot of the folks trying to score & score is that they are out of touch. I was out of touch. Now I am not out of touch. So I am hoping you can help me even further cause I'm lazy. (not really, this is grueling work). Thank you.
BrianSteel wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 pm
Gee Wiz, Mr Casey H, I don't like the Kardarshians, it's way too painful. That's out. Never heard of Catfish. On MTV I can guess. plhatt. I''ll take a look. Surprisingly the Baywatch with the new cast had some good music for people like us. LOL!
You asked, but you don't like the answer? :shock: :D
Sorry, but Baywatch is no longer a good reference. If you want to avoid sounding dated and 'out of touch' then current and recent TV makes far more sense than anything older.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:16 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:09 am
BrianSteel wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:25 pm
BrianSteel wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:11 pm
You asked, but you don't like the answer? :shock: :D
Sorry, but Baywatch is no longer a good reference. If you want to avoid sounding dated and 'out of touch' then current and recent TV makes far more sense than anything older.
Holy S. Why is it every time I ask a question, I get a rant? Not here only. Other places. So what is your tv show or movie for me to get with it?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:42 pm

The reality is (pun intended) to learn about cues for TV, you have to watch some reality TV shows. KUWTK and Catfish are among the higher paying ones though you can pick some shows on TLC, Discovery, etc. Even Naked and Afraid, LOL. :shock: You don't have sit through entire episodes, but maybe 15-20 minutes of some, taking notes about the cues which can be as little as 10-15 secs or as long as 1-2 minutes.

No rant, no attack here. But this is similar to when people want to get songs in music libraries but refuse to listen to any contemporary music. You either learn what's in demand or walk away.

Best,
:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:56 am

BrianSteel wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:16 pm
Holy S. Why is it every time I ask a question, I get a rant? Not here only. Other places. So what is your tv show or movie for me to get with it?
No ranting from me. Just trying to help by pointing out that the answer you got is a good one, even if its not what you wanted to hear. A more complete answer is difficult though. It depends what music you want to write. If its reality show hip hop or EDM that's completely different to blockbuster trailers, so perhaps more info from you on what styles you write would help others give you an answer you might like better :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:06 am

Movies are a bit harder to learn styles from because they are so varied in subject, time & place setting, intended audience, etc. **In general**, you have the best chance with contemporary sounding music, especially if the target audience is young people. But many movies are set in different eras. For example, I have a lot of authentic 60s style songs that get pitched for movies that take place back then. Same for all eras. Also, movies have a much wider variety of scenes than TV shows-- action/chase, romance, a scene in a dance club, a scene in a restaurant, one in a jazz nightclub, and so on. That can be true with TV shows too but movies are longer and the scope is usually wider.

I agree with Graham that it would help if you give us more info as to what you are trying to do.

Best,

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:49 pm

Casey H wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:06 am
Movies are a bit harder to learn styles from because they are so varied in subject, time & place setting, intended audience, etc. **In general**, you have the best chance with contemporary sounding music, especially if the target audience is young people. But many movies are set in different eras. For example, I have a lot of authentic 60s style songs that get pitched for movies that take place back then. Same for all eras. Also, movies have a much wider variety of scenes than TV shows-- action/chase, romance, a scene in a dance club, a scene in a restaurant, one in a jazz nightclub, and so on. That can be true with TV shows too but movies are longer and the scope is usually wider.

I agree with Graham that it would help if you give us more info as to what you are trying to do.

Best,
I don't know you personally Casey, so I beg your kind indulgences with allowing me speak freely here and please don't hold it against me. I take it Graham is Telefunkin. Caught a sense of browbeating going on with one of the responses from him and I have the right to my personal opinion on that. So, When I ask what to watch, I don't find a generic responses like paraphrasing you got your answer to be helpful or friendly. Moving on, the purpose of my post is that I am figuring out the game here of how it all works. Seems like movies are scored. So x to that because I am not going to get a gig scoring a movie from a cue. Which leaves submitting briefs. In that department, I have been trying to hone up on the genres ( that may be paralllel to movies). I am hoping that when I submit a cue that the editor is going to willing enough to cut it up and make it work rather than simply hiring a composer out of music school for sweat shop labor to do a better job with the video available for his use while composing. So, I am asking what is the most realistic opportunity for a guy without a WFH contract to make some money through TAXI. What I can tell so far, is that the reality tv shows are the best bet. Other than that, tv ads. Am I close? I don't want to waste my time writing music that they are going to simply get a WFH composer to score even I am lucky enought to get my submissions forwarded to a music library. You know what I mean. I can write whatever is needed but mostly your traditional sounds, orchestra, sample library stuff, trailers, all kinds of genres, jazz, rock, standards, etc. I am using a DAW, so you know how that goes. I don't do hip hop and I not going to hire a pop singer to freelance on a TOP 40 tune. Now that you know what I'm am working with which is me and my DAW like all of you, and I started out as a musician at first like many of you. I'm no different, so let's hear the bottom line so I don't waste my time climbing up the wrong tree. This isn't about talent. This is about knowing what to do and targeting correctly and if you're lucky, having friends or family in the business. I am an outsider in that department. I have no connections or a dad who can shoe me in. I am but a humble Taxi member trying to learn the ropes sooner than later and I don't see why not sooner than later. Thank you!
Last edited by BrianSteel on Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.