Favorite non-orchestral brass library?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Favorite non-orchestral brass library?

Post by ckbarlow » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 pm

mojobone wrote:I'd try throwing the bandpass effect on before fixing anything else, cuz it might not matter-it's a pretty dramatic effect, and the pumping and breathing might help sell it, actually.
This was my point in bringing it up. I *am* that "guy" in post, or will be in a few months. I want a decent but aged sounding version for possible end-credits use, and will do the hard filtering for the radio scene.

Low budget. Not no budget :-)

Moj, my A/B vs. the Smokey tune indicates that there is a fair amount of high end fizz to the verb. Check it out on iTunes. Am I wrong?

I did make some of the mods suggested but couldn't upload tonite due to some household bandwidth clogs.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Better the bandwidth than the bathroom sink, when it comes to household clogs, heh. ;) There's a fair amount of secrecy involved, when it comes to Motown productions, and lotsa folks that worked at Hitsville, USA are still pretty tight-lipped about it; I suspect they pushed the highs going into the reverb, back then, (or cut the lows coming back from it, more likely) but it compensated for a lot of signal loss we don't have in today's digital realm. If it has to be perfect, as opposed to good enough, Bob Ohlsson might could give you the scoop; he occasionally frequents (is that an oxymoron?) the GearSlutz 'board.

You wanna 'age' something without killing it, check out iZotope's free Vinyl VST. (also, some of the hyped 'highs' you're hearing in the reverb sound could be tape hiss; I'm still looking for a good artificial source for that, heh)
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am

mojobone wrote:The song is awesome, and dead on target, if the target's "You Really Got A Hold On Me"...
It's too similar in my opinion...sorry CK, nothing personal. :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 am

cardell wrote:
mojobone wrote:The song is awesome, and dead on target, if the target's "You Really Got A Hold On Me"...

Stuart
Well, the script originally had a character singing a few lines from "Really Got..." in a sort of "hanging out by the bonfire" setting, in a teasing/flirting gesture toward another character. Once the director understood the legal and financial ramifications of actually doing that, she asked me to write an alternative. And once she heard the draft, she wanted a whole song to put on the radio at some point earlier in the film.

So if you mean "too similar" in a "not terribly creative" kinda way, well, that's just how it went down.

But if you mean in a legally actionable sort of way, that's worth exploring. Different melody, some different chord changes (which kinda don't count anyway), some deliberate lyric allusions. There are certainly plenty of songs from that era that use that instrumentation and arrangement. If you think there's trouble there, please advise.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:09 am

Like my Dad's old attorney used to say, you should be so lucky as to get sued. (I think he meant nobody bothers, unless you have deep pockets, but I was jes' a kid, back then; we spoke when spoken to, so I din't ask)

I guarantee you, as soon as Really Got A Hold hit, Barry Gordy was on the phone to Smokey sayin' "Write us another like that one!". I could name four or five from the period (most of 'em on Motown) that are closer than CK's, so I don't think she's in any danger, there. ;)

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:11 pm

ckbarlow wrote:
cardell wrote:

Stuart
Well, the script originally had a character singing a few lines from "Really Got..." in a sort of "hanging out by the bonfire" setting, in a teasing/flirting gesture toward another character. Once the director understood the legal and financial ramifications of actually doing that, she asked me to write an alternative. And once she heard the draft, she wanted a whole song to put on the radio at some point earlier in the film.

So if you mean "too similar" in a "not terribly creative" kinda way, well, that's just how it went down.

But if you mean in a legally actionable sort of way, that's worth exploring. Different melody, some different chord changes (which kinda don't count anyway), some deliberate lyric allusions. There are certainly plenty of songs from that era that use that instrumentation and arrangement. If you think there's trouble there, please advise.
Oh...now I see. :)
In that case: you've done a very good job!

BTW, yes I was meaning in a "legally actionable sort of way".

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm

mojobone wrote:Like my Dad's old attorney used to say, you should be so lucky as to get sued. (I think he meant nobody bothers, unless you have deep pockets, but I was jes' a kid, back then; we spoke when spoken to, so I din't ask)

I guarantee you, as soon as Really Got A Hold hit, Barry Gordy was on the phone to Smokey sayin' "Write us another like that one!". I could name four or five from the period (most of 'em on Motown) that are closer than CK's, so I don't think she's in any danger, there. ;)

LOL... thx.

musicliner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by musicliner » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 pm

OK, back to the original topic of this thread...
I've just got Independence Pro a couple of weeks ago, which includes (to my ears) excellent brass samples, especially in CANDY collection.

The manual for this sampler/arranger/mixer/masteringFX/... is massive, so I'm sure that I'll learn how to maximize its potential, but for now, I've just put together a quick and dirty 30-sec sample.

I've wrote a blog posting and included the sound sample (free download) here:
http://georgesolo.com/2010/07/virtual-i ... dependent/

Cheers,
George

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 am

mojobone wrote:Stephen Baird posted about this on Facebook; looks promising:

http://vir2.com/instruments/mojo-horn-section

Between this and the Samplemodeling stuff, you could cover a lot of ground.
The MOJO Horn Section samples are pretty good. I like them a lot. I am still learning how to use them (as well as learning how to write horn parts), but its pretty quick and easy to get decent horn lines right out of the box. I love being able to go from solo-10 players spread across the stereo spectrum with just the turn of a knob. I like being able to get tons of articulations with key switches, instead of having to load up separate patches. The "humanize" feature is pretty cool too.

The one problem I have with them is that they are extremely resource intensive. On my set up, which admittedly is fairly old now, I can only load up 2 full instrument patches and 1 "riffs" patch at a time. So, what I've been having to do is make 2 project files. One that is the "main" project and the other one I use to switch out patches and bounce the midi out as wave files. When I'm all finished, I dump all of the wave files into the "main" project file, do some mixing, and then export it. I'm sure there is a better way to do it but I just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

And the patches load slooooooowwwwwww. When I open up a project that has two instances of MOJO horns, I literally walk away and find something to eat or watch some TV. It takes forever.

Below is my second attempt at some 70s game show funk with MOJO. There is one sax loop in their from Logic, but the rest is all MOJO:

http://www.taximusic.com/stream/331639/ComeOnDown.mp3

I think that if you were to really learn how to write horn parts and how to use the samples, you could do a lot with just MOJO.

-Steve

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:13 pm

@ Steve: You're hired! :D