Feed back welcome for dispatch listing due 12/10

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

montster
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feed back welcome for dispatch listing due 12/10

Post by montster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Here's the listing description:A FOLK-POP/ROCK SONG a la JOHN DENVER's "COUNTRY ROAD" (found on many of his greatest hits releases) is needed by the Music Supervisor of a new major network TV show that's a cross between "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Entourage." They need the right song for a montage scene where two of the characters are playing around in an apartment while pretending to be outside in the country, enjoying nature. Think nostalgic, light, amiable, and a bit quirky. I have it uploaded to my myspace profile:http://www.myspace.com/earthtoneproductionsongsany comments welcome!!These are raw tracks: we still have yet to do the real vocal takes and the production needs to be mixed and mastered. Looking for feedback specifically regarding the content and vibe of tune as matching what the listing is after.We've had fun with it!!Thanks Y'all

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Feed back welcome for dispatch listing due 12/

Post by hummingbird » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:16 pm

Music sounds good. The rough track vocals are hard to hear, but it felt to me like the words were rushed - very hard to give feedback without clear, on pitch vocals out front. Since they're looking for an 'a la' John Denver', I'd expect to hear a similar sweet male voice on this. I feel like it's difficult to make any real comments on this yet, but it seems a tad bluegrass. I'd love to hear a more finished product.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:11 am

nice - I like what I've heard so far. Do you have a finished track yet? Noon is looming - with a specific time mentioned in the listing, I don't think there will be much of a chance to submit, and then send updated files after the deadline.I put something that is hopefully “nostalgic, light, amiable, and a bit quirky”, together for this one, too. I like it when these really specific listings come along with instant deadlines. Much less boxing in the dark than on the usual type of listing I sent mine in this morning, "as is". I had Friday and Saturday night gigs, and took my daughter to two birthday parties yesterday. With such a short turnaround, there was little time to fine tune anything – so, if its not my winning lottery ticket for this listing, I can ‘de-cliché’ the lyrics, sing it sweeter (and more in tune )when I haven’t been up for almost 24 hours, add some harmonies, etc. for the next singer/songwriter or Americana listing. Here’s the “normal” version: http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... rue“Quirky” always makes me think of adult alternative stuff, so I added some drums, and it instantly becomes AAA:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=trueI like it better with the drums, but they’re probably not “on target” for the listing. Just in case they are, I sent it in both ways…

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:42 am

Hey Montster and Paul,Both of these tracks have the vocal mixed down way too low. For this type of listing the vocal is going to be the thing that sells it. Paul -- if you have the time I would really bring that vocal up and IMO the first version is the better one. The drum programming makes it too modern to qualify as FOLK ala John Denver. I really think they want that acoustic vibe which you capture on the first vesion.My 1.5 cents,Cisco

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:53 am

Cisco,If they haven't screened it by the time I get home, I'll bring the vocal up in the mix.I agree the probably want the acoustic vibe- that halftime shuffle brings it forward 35 years without changing anything else. Thanks for listening!Paul

montster
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by montster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:31 am

Hi guys,Thanks for the "heads up"!There's a new mix on myspace:http://www.myspace.com/earthtoneproductionsongsI believe the vocals are stronger and out front! Also had time to throw in some harmony at the end.Got it in before the deadline, down to the wire......... Am I in school again? University of Life Thanks again Monty

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 am

Nice job on getting something up and done with a quick turnaround. I wasn't as diligent. I didn't get mine quite finished in time. Tried to sneak it in at 3:03 for further tweakage later but the listing was already gone.It still needs to be mastered and I planned a little acoustic guitar lead that I didn't get to...I took the 'quirky' direction and interpreted it in the lyric which is why I'm "blowing kisses to the squirrels' If anyone wants to hear my unmastered (and super-quiet version) here it isCountry Time (still digitizing, might not be there yet)Not quite heaven, is where I'm goingJust leafy trees and in the land of sky blue waterMaking up a memory of growing up hereGrass Keeps gettin' greener, soaking up the sunSnow capped mountainsOn a winding riverI've seen the bright lightsstill I can't find nothing betterThan country timeBig sky opens up I feel at homeBack yards, barns and time to burn I'm homeMisty Momma its countrytime lets go, lets goEverything's alive hereField's all full of crittersI harmonize the birdsong, blow kisses to the squirrelsWaterfalls and MountainsI can never get enough ofWith the waving what I'm shaking hands helloSnow Capped Mountains, on a winding riverI've seen the bright lights, still I can't find nothing betterThan country timeBig sky opens up I feel at homeBack yards, barns and time to burn I'm homeMisty Momma its countrytime lets go, lets go

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Twilsbach, I had a heck of a time trying to listen to your song. The link didn't seem to want to work. Did a search for keyword "twilsbach" to try to find your Taxi page, but no luck there. So I was going to IM you, but then I noticed you have a link to your page in your profile, so I finally got it that way.Anyway, twilsbach, I like yours the best of those here in this thread, though it's a little scary how close your melody and chord progressions are to the John Denver tune. I hope that doesn't scare the screeners away from forwarding it, or the company it's forwarded to from using it.Here's mine. I wasn't sure what direction to go musically. As I looked over the listing several times it seemed to be more interested in giving us lyrical details. I couldn't be sure if they were looking for that 70's folky sound or something more current. I called Taxi and was told it could probably be either, so I just kinda did something sort of in between. Tried to land on the light, nostalgic end of things. May have ended up too country sounding. But who knows - maybe it has just the right quirky touch. It's not something I'm extremely proud of, but I think sometimes these work-for-hire spots just have to be what they are.http://www.driskellsongs.com/that_country_place.htm

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:34 pm

twilsbach and gary,Good job to both of you. I think you both hit the mark for this listing. Gary, that chorus really helps to capture the essence of what they're asking for. I think you played it well to go in between.Best of luck to you both,Cisco

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Sounded good Big D, I'd be surprised if you didn't get forwarded. Your production skills are leaps and bounds beyond mine. I gotta get better, long way to go.As far as mine, I guess I buzzed it a little to close to the tower this time I didn't actually get it submitted, so its a bit of a moot point.Sidenote: I used a track from the Killer Tracks library a week or two ago on a corporate video I cut and it was without question "inspired" by John Mayer's "Bigger Than My Body". From the chord progressions, to the instrumentation, to even the sound of the guitars and effects it might as well have been a carbon copy minus vocals.