Feedback for Celtic instrumental for Dispatch, please!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Feedback for Celtic instrumental for Dispatch, please!

Post by Merryband1 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:29 pm

An Croí Dóchasach - The Hopeful Heart

After hanging out with Robbie Hancock and writing this piece not only for the following TAXI Dispatch listing but for a Robbie challenge to write to the emotion "Hopeful," I edited this to make things come out on beat instead of having some lagging behind or hitting too soon. The fiddle comes through at the halfway point; the rest is Celtic harp and guitar. Please let me know if you hear anything that sounds not quite right. Thanks!

Cheers,
Merry

Here's the Dispatch listing:
A Bunch of CELTIC INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very busy British Music Library that's constantly landing tons of placements in Film, TV, and other Media, especially in Nat Geo-type shows and documentaries.

This Library is searching for a range of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that are in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

"Brennans Reel" by Martin Hayes Quartet

"The Twisting of the Rope" by Aryeh Frankfurter

"William Wallace" by Derek Fiechter & Brandon Fiechter

"Twyngryllyg" by Lynne Reardon

"Dingle Bay Dream" by Andrew White

Please submit well-produced Celtic Instrumentals with engaging melodies, top-notch arrangements, expert musicianship, and an overall warm and welcoming tone that could transport listeners to the Emerald Isle! Your submissions can range from stripped down to more filled out production, and from mellow to more lively performances – to anywhere in between! Organic, authentic-sounding Irish/Celtic instrumentation in the general style of the references will suit your submissions best – think fiddle, tin whistle, harp, bagpipes, etc. Your production should be appropriately polished for this style. We recommend using live instruments as much as possible for authenticity's sake, but if you plan to use any virtual instruments, they should be high-quality and realistic-sounding – nothing that's obviously MIDI driven will work here. Craft your pieces to include a range of dynamics, developmental arcs, layers, and forward motion.

Your submissions should be about 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned endings with good edit points are needed for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way shape or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. Since this is an Exclusive deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. You’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please send as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, July 20th, 2022. TAXI Dispatch # D220720LT

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback for Celtic instrumental for Dispatch, please!

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:15 am

Hi Merry!

I'm a big fan of Irish music, having lived in Ireland and owned a pub that featured trad music for many years, and I really like your composition and the instrumentation, great work! For me, this version doesn't sound quite ready for professional use, though it is a good demo. The performance sounds a bit stilted and hesitant rather than relaxed and flowing, and the recording sounds distant rather than clean and polished. I'd recommend re-recording the piece with a more confident performance and a closer/cleaner recording. (i.e closer mics, and less room sound) Then, when mixing, add more depth and width through panning and a little reverb. Also, be careful to avoid and/or edit out as many unwanted noises as possible, especially at the end where we can hear mouse clicks, etc.

I hope this helps a bit, and wish you the best of luck with this beautiful composition!
Last edited by DouglasKnight on Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:31 am

Hi Marry,
I agree with Douglas on this one.

I don't know if you have the plugin "RX8" from Izatope but it is a time saver, you can clean all the squeaks and rumbles in the track to a certain degree, I know squeaks and string noises are a natural sound of an acoustic instrument recordings but unfortunately it doesn't go to well with library music standards.

good luck.

JannieM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JannieM » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi Merry,
Sent you a PM
Jan W
Use your voice for kindness, your ears for compassion, your hands for charity, your mind for truth, and your heart for love. ~ ~ ~ ~ Author Unknown

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:39 pm

Seeing/reading Douglas's comment and experience - with me being a Newbie to Irish Trad Session music,
I'll limit my comment to being: the composition sounds good to these ears.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:57 pm

Thanks, everyone!

I'm not sure about the Izotope plug-in. I'll have to check. I thought I'd eliminated all the clicks, but I'll make sure next go-round.

Maybe I should switch back to my lapel mic for recording the harp... I have used it before in live gigs to run it through an amp because it's such a soft instrument. Speeding up could be a problem, as I was having a hard enough time playing it at this tempo! I've been dealing with neuralgia all day today, so I can't think of recording until I see my dentist. I think I do still have some time, though, so I will see what all I can do to improve it. I appreciate all the input.

No worries about the spelling, Andre!

I think maybe I added a bit too much reverb which added the room effect. I will avoid that mistake in future. :)
Glad you like the piece, Douglas. :)

I have been trying to redo "Green As the Land," which was a real disaster of a recording and mix! (I was playing it way too fast, trying to match the tempo of the ref tracks. Now I know it's better to play it well than to play it fast!)

I really appreciate each of you! Thanks so much!

Merry

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:58 am

Hey Merry! I don’t think it needs to be any faster, just played a bit more fluidly, especially the fiddle part. Also, try to really tune the instruments perfectly: the harp and guitar sounded a bit out of tune with each other. Again, really nice tune. You got this!

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Thanks, Douglas! :) I appreciate that! I know I need to practice more to sound fluid on the fiddle. I'm still learning Irish technique. So many different fiddling styles utilize such disparate bowing motions! Maybe I can re-record just the fiddle part. :)

Sláinte!

Merry

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Merryband1 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:03 pm
I need to practice more to sound fluid on the fiddle. I'm still learning Irish technique. So many different fiddling styles utilize such disparate bowing motions! Maybe I can re-record just the fiddle part. :)
Sláinte!
Merry
2 cents from a non-fiddle player:
1) maybe you already know about this guy: Kevin Burke (I met him at a local house concert/jam).
And I know many session fiddlers who try to learn his bowing technique. Check out this video, if you've not already seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AMesSTGSd8
2) seeing how most of these tunes are accompaniment to Irish dances - specific steps, even - playing them with the fluidity of moving like a dancer
seems to be a key element - per Douglas's comments. I realize it can take a lot to master all of that.

That's why I stick to pickin' - mando & tenor banjo. :? :shock: :P ... and instruments with frets!!
Good luck getting your composition smoothed out - it'll sound great.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra