Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Feedback for Christmas song

Post by tpwmusic » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:05 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:22 am
tpwmusic wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:15 am
Thanks for the feedback Casey. It's just me doing the music and production, and my 12 year old daughter on vocals. In fact, she wrote this song herself. I don't have any signed work for hire agreements presently.
Wow, your daughter is very talented! 8-) :D Obviously, you don't need any work for hire agreements (unless you are concerned she will sue one day). ;)

Seriously, are you making it a co-write between you? I'm asking because one of you needs to be a writer for you to submit through Taxi though I'm not sure what the rules are regarding a minor child. If you are wondering, you could email them and ask.

:D Casey
Hi Casey, yes it's a co-write. She often writes the lyrics and top-line melody, sometimes with or without my help, and I write the music / produce the track etc.

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:07 pm

audiogust wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:24 am
Really nice song and a great performance. I'd echo the comments about the vocals running into a lot of the other mid-range instruments. Some EQ should be able to help carve out space for the vocals and they will sound clearer. The vocal sounds like it's missing a bit of "air" in the higher frequency which will also help.
Thank you for that...I'll revisit the mix at some point.

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:57 am

It's a good song but it needs a few tweaks IMO.

Get rid of that intro, it's too long and does not benefit the song. The songs is 4:45 as is, which is really long.

If you could add some EQ air to the vocal it will make it stand out more. The instrumental back isn't as strong as the vocal, but sometimes a good vocal can carry the day, so I'd work on that.

If you want to work on the mix, here are a couple things I hear. It sounds like you're playing an acoustic guitar thru a pick up? I'd record it live with mics. Also, the drums could be treated better - a good good drum bus might help. After the vocal, having a good drum sound is probably the second most important thing.

Good luck with it, it just needs a little more love.

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:01 am

johnlewitt wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:57 am
It's a good song but it needs a few tweaks IMO.

Get rid of that intro, it's too long and does not benefit the song. The songs is 4:45 as is, which is really long.

If you could add some EQ air to the vocal it will make it stand out more. The instrumental back isn't as strong as the vocal, but sometimes a good vocal can carry the day, so I'd work on that.

If you want to work on the mix, here are a couple things I hear. It sounds like you're playing an acoustic guitar thru a pick up? I'd record it live with mics. Also, the drums could be treated better - a good good drum bus might help. After the vocal, having a good drum sound is probably the second most important thing.

Good luck with it, it just needs a little more love.
Thanks for the feedback Joe. The aim was to create an 80's vibe with the backing track. There are no real acoustic guitars at all either, just midi-programmed. Thanks for all the tips though :)