Feedback for Eagles covers? Only had feedback from a few screeners so far

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

awbvious

Feedback for Eagles covers? Only had feedback from a few screeners so far

Post by awbvious » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm

So, I recorded a bunch of Eagles covers about two years ago:

http://awbvious.com/eagles

I didn’t intend to, but I was creating a sample for someone on Craigslist who wanted to start an Eagles cover band, and got carried away.

Anyway, I would like to record covers of other bands and/or record some of my originals, but I kind of would like to know it’s a worthwhile investment of my time before I go into that. I was hoping distributing these songs through CDBaby and trying to get licensing for them through TAXI would give me a monetary indication that I should keep at it. But so far it has not.

I’d also like to know if I should/could improve these covers, e.g. by remastering the original files or maybe paying for some studio time if it’s really worth it.

And if anyone is in the Los Angeles area and wants to collaborate, let me know: awbvious@awbvious.com . If you need someone who has decades of experience singing every popular music song from the 60s and 70s, I'm your guy. (After all, that guy on craigslist never responded, so I’m definitely available.)

As mentioned in the title, I already got some feedback from TAXI screeners. And I can share it. But I want to see what you all have to say before I share what they wrote.

Thanks.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback for Eagles covers? Only had feedback from a few screeners so far

Post by Zaychi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:16 pm

I'm sorry to say this, but this is way off the mark for syncability. I'm not a big Eagles expert, so I checked out "Hotel California".

- sounds as if it was recorded in a living room somewhere
- all kind of tappy sounds all over the place. Are they actually supposed to be percussion or just recording noise?
- vocal very hesitant, thin and off-pitch
- chord progression doesn't seem to follow original, though I didn't actually check that
- uncorrected playing errors everywhere
- harmonica is moving all over the place and doesn't seem to have any connection to the rest of the instruments
- seems completely unmixed; did you even try EQ'ing separate tracks? Do you even have separate tracks?

I'm sorry to say, but if I walk around the corner to the local park, I could probably find a better version of this song by the street musicians hanging out there.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:16 pm
I I could probably find a better version of this song by the street musicians hanging out there.
You'd struggle to find a worse one :shock:

Someone from @admin please give the OP his membership fee back.

awbvious

Post by awbvious » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Sorry for the delay, I had an operation for a deviated septum (partly because I heard that can help with singing). Yeah, it was recorded in a living room. Did I EQ each track? No, I don't know how. Will a group of street musicians do better? Likely, because everyone is playing an instrument they are good at using. I am doing it all, not because I'm a control freak and think I can play all the instruments better by myself, but because I have no one with whom to collaborate. I appreciate feedback. Now, what to do if I want to improve? Create something better? Thanks.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:31 pm

awbvious wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:08 pm
Now, what to do if I want to improve? Create something better? Thanks.
Get private lessons in all aspects..singing..playing ..mixing/production

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 am

awbvious wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:08 pm
Sorry for the delay, I had an operation for a deviated septum (partly because I heard that can help with singing). Yeah, it was recorded in a living room. Did I EQ each track? No, I don't know how. Will a group of street musicians do better? Likely, because everyone is playing an instrument they are good at using. I am doing it all, not because I'm a control freak and think I can play all the instruments better by myself, but because I have no one with whom to collaborate. I appreciate feedback. Now, what to do if I want to improve? Create something better? Thanks.
Hi! Listen first decide your goal. Do you A: just want to record some songs, maybe do some writing and hopefully get to a place where you might get some songs picked up? Or B: are you all in serious you want to give this a shot and it's your one mission in life?

If B go with the lessons approach, lots of them.

If A, this is more of a hobby than consider this.

You need a platform to record on Garage Band is cool, easy to use and possible to get good results. There are others but this is good entry level.
A decent mic, nothing special to start, a Shure maybe.
A 2 channel interface to connect mic to computer (I like M-Audio but there are a ton of choices)

Now you may already have all the above if so the next step is where you start.

Go to YOUTUBE. Search Garage Band or whatever platform you are using there are literally thousands of videos there to help you. The only reason my mixes pass muster now is I spent hours watching videos. It was time well spent.

Then have fun, it is going to be a process, play around with mic placements. Start with guitar and vocal tracks and work on EQ, mixing. Once you get the hang of it start adding in drums and bass. You can play a lot of instruments with a mouse.

Post your results I'll keep an eye out.

Good luck!!

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole