Feedback for Listing S210907CL In My Blood

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

darkbluerooms

Feedback for Listing S210907CL In My Blood

Post by darkbluerooms » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm

Got this one kicked back, and I must say, this is the first time I don't agree with the screener. I specifically built this song off of the reference song Euphoria by Don Toliver. The 3 reference tracks are disparate to say the least so I picked one and stuck with it. Also, if anyone here agrees that In My Blood is an R&B song, please let me know as well, because I might need to go back to genre school. I've listened to Euphoria many times and never heard anything that would be considered "rap" that is fundamentally different from the vocals in my song.

Link to my song here:
https://www.taxi.com/members/PgHbWEmaSJ ... n-my-blood

FEEDBACK for "In My Blood"
S210907CL
Share Your Feedback
What I like most about this song
Very nice chill, relaxed and reflective vibe. I like the sensual and heartfelt vocal delivery. Good edits, layering and forward movement.

I think you could improve this song by
The auto-tune could be polished up during some sections. Make sure to add some Rap elements for Rap requests. Even if just sprinkled in a few sections, this might have been forwarded.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Unfortunately, this is R&B and not Rap as requested.

Style/Genre is off target with the listing request

Vocal performance off target for the listing

CLOUD RAP SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a Music Supervisor for several (up to) $3,000 placements in a brand new TV Show that just got picked up by a Major Broadcast Network!

This Music Supervisor is looking for Down-to-Mid-Tempo Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Sundress" by A$AP Rocky

"Ginseng Strip 2002" by Yung Lean

[glow]"Euphoria" by Don Toliver feat. Travis Scott & Kaash Paige[/glow]

Please send fresh Cloud Rap Songs with hypnotic beats, catchy hooks, and an overall relaxed vibe and sound. Instrumentation that's generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and current-sounding. Well-performed vocals with compelling but laid-back lyrical flows could help you seal the deal!

NOTE: Do NOT submit any tracks with spoken producer tags/watermarks as they're not usable for film and TV placements.

This Music Supervisor has specifically requested that your lyrics are completely clean (NO profanity). Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, and brands will be the most appealing to this Music Supervisor. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Feedback for Listing S210907CL In My Blood

Post by Cameloide » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 pm

darkbluerooms wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm
Got this one kicked back, and I must say, this is the first time I don't agree with the screener. I specifically built this song off of the reference song Euphoria by Don Toliver. The 3 reference tracks are disparate to say the least so I picked one and stuck with it. Also, if anyone here agrees that In My Blood is an R&B song, please let me know as well, because I might need to go back to genre school. I've listened to Euphoria many times and never heard anything that would be considered "rap" that is fundamentally different from the vocals in my song.
I don't know what to tell ya, I got rejected on this one too. And I did the same thing, built the beat off the "Euphoria" song and sent it to one of the better rappers/r&b vocalist that comes through my studio to write & perform the vocals. Granted I woke up the morning it was due with one ear mostly stopped up and had to mix it in that condition and use my other mixer buddy as remote ears to verify that nothing was too out of wack. So considering that and the fact that it was my 1st hip hop submission, I wasn't surprised by the rejection.

I did listen to the forwards and your track a couple of times and I do like yours better and would have forwarded it over a few of the other ones. If yours is more R&B than rap what does that make mine? lol

I think both of ours should've at least gotten in ahead of the forward with the distracting amount of vinyl scratch pop noise going through out the whole track, or the one with the 1:07 synth/keys intro (I thought that was a general no-no in the sync world?). And the vocals on some of them didn't pass the authenticity test for me, I could hear the "white boy trying to sound black" thing a bit too obviously. And if mine needed a stronger hook (which I didn't write the rapper did) I don't even know what to say about the hooks on some of the other ones...a couple were like nursery rhyme level childish melodies, which I do understand in the hip hop world seems to be not that out of the norm.... I've done thousands of rap sessions, mostly engineering vocals and mixing for rappers and I'm still constantly surprised/confused by how ridiculous some of the stuff sounds to me... the mumble rap phenomenon, the proclivity to use the most atrocious guitar sounds, the 8-bit video game sounds, the chipmunk vocals... I could go on and on. But suffice it to say, I don't expect to be able to make sense of what's considered "good" in this genre, which is kinda why I off-loaded the vocal writing & performing to somebody that lives and breathes those genres. Anyways, keep it at & you'll catch some breaks. Here's my submission and feedback.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/vince-johnston-2 ... 7/say-that

S210907CL
Share Your Feedback
What I like most about this song

The track does have the ambient and atmospheric, chill vibe requested. I like the heartfelt vocal delivery and romantic vibe.

I think you could improve this song by
Unfortunately, the beat driven elements are a bit dated and could have more contemporary sounds. The track could also use a more compelling hook and stronger vocals for better sync potential / mainstream appeal.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Needs stronger vocals and production with a more compelling hook.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darkbluerooms

Re: Feedback for Listing S210907CL In My Blood

Post by darkbluerooms » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Hmmmmm,

First thanks for the compliment man.

I'm a bit of a robot when it comes to my Taxi assessments. I can't speak to the quality of the songs that did get forwarded, (as I think the Yung Lean reference song is just flat out not good). I personally was obsessing solely over the fact that the screener refers to my song as an R&B song, and says if there was just a little rap, it might have been forwarded. So it become a logical arguement. IF Euphoria is a Cloud Rap song, THEN In My Blood is also a Cloud Rap song. IF Euphoria is not a Cloud Rap song, THEN why is it used as a reference?

I haven't bothered to go back and peruse all the forwards either, but I'm pretty confident I heard at least one song that had ZERO rap vocals in it. Which means it has less rap than my song to be clear, LOL.

To your song, I'll be honest my friend, I actually do feel like your song sounds like an R&B song :). That's largely in the vocal delivery, more so than the music. This is just my opinion as a 39 YO black man who has lived an entire life surrounded by R&B and hip hop music. Take that for whatever it's worth.

I think most of the musical elements are cool. If I had to guess what the screener was referring to as "dated" I'd look at the kick and snare on your track. And yes, I'm aware it's an 808 kit (which is used in EVERYTHING these days). Stronger vocal? It sounds strong to me.

Compelling hooks? None of the 3 references have compelling hooks and your hook is certainly more on topic than at least 2 of the 3 references.

What can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're lyrics might have been too coherent for modern rap. The lyrics on my song are complete nonsense, so naturally the screener had nothing negative to say about them.