Feedback For Modern Sad Strings and Piano

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback For Modern Sad Strings and Piano

Post by superblonde » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 am

I wonder if that piano VST even has velocity. Because the v2 velocity sounds the same: clunky. It sounds like a toddler is playing the piano. I don't think it is successful because it sounds like a robot but of course I am not the gatekeeper.

Wait, take the compressor off, for one thing. It does no good to have velocity & expression in a piano and then compress it.

And hold up again.. take the reverb off the piano too. Reverb does not go on individual instruments like that except in special situations. Reverb goes on the main mix.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 am

Thank you, Peter, we will look at this!
Peterg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:09 am
... or maybe let the piano ring out a bit more as it sounds cut off at the moment.
So would this still be a "non-faded, buttoned/stinger ending" ??

===
Sharon and Michael

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:25 pm

If I'm not hallucinating, last night's Quarantini had Michael showing a waveform of a chord as it rang out. Quick cut off of the file = bad. Longer file with the chord's ring out into inaudibility and then a second or so of digital floor noise (zero) = good, so the editor can choose how much to lay into their program. I know I've chopped files off at where I thought the ring out had ended, only to find (at different listening levels or with less-fatigued ears) that the sound file had been chopped off unnaturally.

On the other hand, if I am hallucinating, then that's normal too ;)

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:52 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:25 pm
Quick cut off of the file = bad. Longer file with the chord's ring out into inaudibility and then a second or so of digital floor noise (zero) = good,
I think you're right. Now have put up V3 to try to achieve the good! Same link as first post.

(BTW don't think it was on last night's Quarantini, maybe on the "Top 10" from June 7?)

===
Michael

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:02 am

irthlingz wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:52 pm
(BTW don't think it was on last night's Quarantini, maybe on the "Top 10" from June 7?)
OK, so that's normal :lol:

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:23 am

superblonde wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 am
I wonder if that piano VST even has velocity. Because the v2 velocity sounds the same: clunky. It sounds like a toddler is playing the piano. I don't think it is successful because it sounds like a robot but of course I am not the gatekeeper.

Wait, take the compressor off, for one thing. It does no good to have velocity & expression in a piano and then compress it.

And hold up again.. take the reverb off the piano too. Reverb does not go on individual instruments like that except in special situations. Reverb goes on the main mix.
Thank you, superblonde! Will look at all this.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:17 pm

I think this is an example of trying to force a previously written piece into a listing because you have it available. I don't think it's a match, I hear this more as a reflective Americana instrumental, and it's in a major key which takes it out of the "sad" category IMHO. The infinite bowed E across the top creates some tension, but I don't think it needs to be constant. If you want to keep it, add some dynamics/phrasing to make is sound more natural.

The three references in the listing create specific moods, I don't think this is a fit. But, I think it's a keeper track for future listings.

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 pm

v4 is now up.
https://sharmuse.com/nwit.html

Changes:
1. Re-played piano up to 1:00 on a Nektar LX88 keyboard. (Still using Pianoteq.)
2. Took compression off piano. (Left reverb on -- liked the feel more. Didn't want to put reverb on master, since we already liked the sound of the strings.)
3, Some dynamic editing on piano, mostly to soften

Yo Paulie! Thanks for your input. We'll probably still submit it for this, curious to see what the screener says, but thanks for the encouraging "keeper" feedback! BTW, do you think the current ending qualifies as "button" - or is the fade too long?

===
Sharon and Michael

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 am

It is better but the piano velocities are still way too high, it can be heard in the attack. The first bars implies the piano would be dynamics pp or p. It seems the velocities are still up at mf or close to f level. Unfortunately just does not sound real at all. Whether or not it passes, I don't know. Find some graduate classical solo piano recitals on youtube to compare the tone of the expression.

I also agree that it is major sounding. But, major can still be sad. So the melody & harmony may be ok. It's more melancholy or reflective than sad and that may be ok, I can't say. There are musical ways to quickly fix that but that is a music theory discussion of reharmonization.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:11 pm

Thank you again, superblonde. We really appreciate your continued input!

===
Sharon and Michael