Feedback For Modern Sad Strings and Piano

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Feedback For Modern Sad Strings and Piano

Post by irthlingz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 pm

One thing we suspect is that it needs a different ending, because this is not stinger? Maybe end with the two rising piano notes at 2:30?

Anyway, all feedback will be much appreciated!

https://sharmuse.com/nwit.html

===
Sharon and Michael

MODERN SAD STRINGS & PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Licensing Company with a large list of placements in Films, TV Commercials, and A-List TV Shows.

NOTE: This Company has signed lots of TAXI members over many years and nailed down lots of placements for them!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nr9V7DSA9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXlx-YnvgKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmxL93Hg_M

Please submit well-composed Instrumental Cues with an overall sad sound and feel. Your submissions should contain a combination of Piano and String instrumentation – if you're planning on using any virtual instruments, they need to sound like the real thing and not stiff, dated, or obviously MIDI-driven. Polished production and moving melodies are a must for this pitch. Craft your Cues around a singular motif, and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create a sense of forward momentum.

TAXI Tip: Although it takes a little bit of time for the Strings to come in on the references, we recommend layering them into your pieces right away.

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take, and have non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI screener. All Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021. TAXI # S210623MN

Submit to this listing TAXI # S210623MN

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Feedback For Modern Sad Strings and Piano

Post by superblonde » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:16 am

" we recommend layering them (strings) into your pieces right away."

Also sounds like the piano is static velocity of ff after strings come in which doesnt seem appropriate, should be mp-mf to match your mood and also velocity should vary a bit from note to note?

The overall feel seems sad or at least wistful - melancholy.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JuanMacias » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:20 am

Hi Sharon and Michael

I'm with Superblonde here; you should layer the strings into the piece right at the beginning and work a little more on the dynamics/velocities of the piano.
But other than that; i think the piece convey the melancholy mood the listing is asking for.
on regard the ending; i think you are right ending it at 2:30.
What Library did you use for the strings? they sound good!

Juan

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 am

Yup sounds like someone died? Me thinks the strings have to come up a bit. Sounds like the piano gets out in front for timing just a tad. I think at 54-58 ish is where I heard it again. I don't know how long they want you to go before you actually hear strings, but the piano intro (however pretty) was pretty long? I don't do instrumentals, so take that with a few grains. I was sad tho. good luck
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 am

It has a nice sort of Tom Waites vibe. I agree about making the piano softer and bringing in the strings earlier, + the ending needs some work, but the overall piece could be in something like Nomadsland.

Peter

blakeminnerly

Post by blakeminnerly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:58 am

The violins sound great here. Piano tone is really nice as well. I'm getting more of a "wistful/nostalgic/bitter-sweet" vibe from it than straight up sad, probably because of the major chords, but that might still fit into the wanted vibe. I picture an old couple in rockers on a porch, looking at their old photos. If you changed those chords to minor, it would go to straight-up tragic funeral dirge, think. Are you playing the piano parts or using MIDI? I ask because your piano chord notes hit very precisely, in terms of timing and velocity. A little "intentional slop" would humanize the feel a bit. Overall, this is a much stronger cue than the last one you submitted, IMO, so congrats! Keep it up!

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 am

Cool thing, it has a really folky atmosphere! A bit jealous of the string sound actually)))

Gotta agree with the previous comments on the piano, it needs more variance in the velocities and timing.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Thank you, everyone! We will work on this.

We're thinking of just deleting the piano intro. This will bring it closer to the two minutes the listing asks for, too.

The strings are almost entirely Sharon playing the violin and viola, recorded at home using a Neumann TLM 103 mic. (A few seconds of cello near the end from a Korg N364.)

We originally created this piece around a year ago, so we're not totally sure anymore, but we think the piano part was all played on a Korg N364. We got negative feedback on the Korg virtual instrument sound, so we invested in Pianoteq, but still using the MIDI produced by the Korg. That's what you're hearing now. There is some variation in velocities and the VST is configured to not go above mf velocity – see screenshot at link above, if you're interested, we'd love any suggestions in this area, as we're fairly new to Pianoteq. Will try more dynamic and timing variation and less overall velocity on the piano, as well as bringing the strings up!

Again, thanks a million everyone.

===
Sharon & Michael

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:48 pm

Okay, v2 is now up at the same link, we tried to incorporate all the feedback.

But did we succeed???

===
Thanks,
Sharon and Michael

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:09 am

irthlingz wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:48 pm
Okay, v2 is now up at the same link, we tried to incorporate all the feedback.

But did we succeed???

===
Thanks,
Sharon and Michael
Cutting the piano intro works better. For me, the piano in the first minute sounds a bit disjointed in a few places, I can't quite tell where 1 is in the bar, Maybe its the sparse arrangement as there are no root notes so the chords aren't made obvious. Once the main melody comes in at around 1.00 it sounds great, although I'm not sure of the ending, either the piano notes should go and just leave the strings chord, or maybe let the piano ring out a bit more as it sounds cut off at the moment.

Good luck

Peter